Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha b-15: What a waste of time, energy, and money

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Just received the Alpha Industries B-15 in size Large, sage green, that I ordered last week. I am 5' 10.5"tall, 170 lbs., size 42 chest. I run on the smaller side of most large sizing. I specifically chose Alpha because of the supposed "tight fit" and its affordability. Very disappointed and surprised by the bad fit of this jacket. It is way too big and baggy, in both body and sleeves, and the sleeves are too short (so a medium isn't the answer). Embarrassed to try it on in front of my family. I made some measurements: 25.25" back length (good), 27" pit-to-pit (not good at all). Also, the knit waistband seems less than stout, and likely to stretch out in short order. There is not a single thing "tight" about this fit. It basically fits like anything off the rack at Walmart. I am disappointed, to be sure, but truly puzzled as well. In addition, I am out the original shipping cost plus a "restocking" fee (total $25). Live and learn, I guess. Be ye forewarned.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a similar experience with an L2B jacket from Alpha recently. I'm 5.10 with a 46" chest (normally XL) & asked them (customer services) which size to order given the stated "tight fit" on the L2B. They advised XXL..which surprised me. Having placed an order from the UK, my XXL eventually arrived...talk about a rent-a-tent!!!! The thing was huge! It dripped off me...it was a family sized garment. XXL ended up on e-bay. I have 3 B15's from Alpha, all from the 'Vintage' series & made in the USA a few years ago. I am very happy with these jackets & ordered true to size (XL for me)...for me a comfortable but flattering fit. Just note that this series aren't the most accurate historically. :cool:

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Now I remember reading your earlier post about the rent-a-tent. Pretty funny, though I'm sure it wasn't at the time. And I've read other comments about the "Vintage" series. I was looking for a new jacket, however. It's weird about the Alpha jacket; to a certain extent, I almost feel like I got conned. They're so convinced they are offering a "tight fit," both online and over the phone. There is certainly a disconnect there somewhere; the lady who handled my return merchandise call seemed honestly puzzled. One problem is that they take calls in Chantilly, Virginia, but ship from Knoxville, Tennessee. The woman who took my order initially couldn't offer any sizing help beyond the dutiful "You should size up" routine. As a contrast, the customer service folks at Gibson-Barnes will say, "Hold on," walk out to their cutting room, and come back with the information, or email it to you. Amanda at G-B was very helpful to me in my effort to set up my uncle with a Flying Tigers A-2 that fit properly. (My point is that all their operation is on one site). This whole experience with Alpha has soured me on using them, and on shopping online for such things in general. I has such high hopes for them, too, since a "Buzz" is light-years beyond my budget.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I think the general consensus of the current Alpha offerings is a bit dismal. I think they now see themselves as a fashion company, and I am not sure whether their military jacket supplying branch is completely independent or what.
It is sometimes very frustrating that makers/suppliers have the idea of sizing up, even for the old Aero, when asked about sizes, especially with the current trend of clothings.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Okay, I gave myself 24 hours to be soured on online shopping. A trip to the local mall helped (I am definitely not the demographic being targeted anymore. I need to be younger and hipper, for starters). So my question is: Is there a outfit that makes decent quality jackets like the B-15 without jaunting off on a quest for ultimate authenticity? I appreciate olive stitching, Talon zippers, and wool cuffs made only from sheep shorn in the period between Rommel's defeat at El Alamein and the Normandy landings, but I'm not yet willing to pay $600 for such detailing. My budget is closer to $200.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I despair that Alpha has identified their market as being young, not terribly affluent and perhaps even a bit skinhead or gangsta. I actually see Alpha flight jackets all the time…90% of the time they are being worn by my defendants. And the prevailing style among the courthouse crowd seems to dictate that jackets be worn three to five sizes too large. So, since I normally wear a size 48 jacket, to be properly dressed for my arraignment, I would need to rock something actually sized around 54.

I have always lamented that Alpha could easily make a repro flight jacket that would blow Buzz Rickson out of the water, and they could do it at a third the Rickson price. They’ve got the history and the knowledge and the capacity. But I’m guessing they just don’t see much profit in doing so.

AF

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
"....90% of the time they are being worn by my defendants."

Okay, that made my morning! Had to wipe the coffee off my keyboard and screen. I think you're on to something regarding Alpha. Perhaps their factory has recently "sized up" but customer service hasn't been told yet. Too bad.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Dobbs Industries...who produced MA-1s for the Air Force during the fifties...was one of Alpha's parent companies. I am convinced that if Alpha wanted to, it could produce what would essentially be a genuine 1958 Dobbs B-series MA-1...and they could sell it profitably at a $250.00 price point.

AF

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
I wonder if Alpha even knows the niche market out there, as represented in these pages. Neither customer service rep I talked to at Alpha had ever heard of the Fedora Lounge. The returns lady was curious enough to ask for the web address.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure they are aware of the jacket collector's market. Alpha has actually made some pretty good…and some very good…reproduction jackets from time to time in the past. In the late 1990s they produced a 1968 D-series MA-1 that was almost indistinguishable from an original. Seriously, it looked and felt like an NOS issued jacket. I bought one and paid around $100.00, as I recall.

AF

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I'm not yet willing to pay $600 for such detailing. My budget is closer to $200.

Sorry man but you are in the Alpha's market fringe. There are some japanese high end makers like Buzz Rickson and Real McCoys. Both make B-15, MA-1 and other replicas but they're going to cost you. Higher prices, shipment and custom taxes.

I despair that Alpha has identified their market as being young, not terribly affluent and perhaps even a bit skinhead or gangsta. I actually see Alpha flight jackets all the time…90% of the time they are being worn by my defendants.

In Europe, you put a MA-1 on or anything similar and you are in skinhead outfit :eusa_doh:

I ordered an Alpha N-3B last week and almost all their versions of this jacket are some kind of strange "slim fit". You just google N-3B "slim fit" and you'll watch a bunch of hipster-like guys wearing the jacket [huh]

So yes, I think Alpha is confusing its target audience, at least when it comes to military replica jackets.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Is there a outfit that makes decent quality jackets like the B-15 without jaunting off on a quest for ultimate authenticity?

Weintraub Bros. (Patriot Uniforms) used to make a very passable B-15C (the blue USAF Korean War era version) which had nice details.

Sadly they don't make them anymore, although they are listed on their website - don't bother emailing them though as you won't get a response.

Saying that they do come up on eBay and sometimes deadstock items. Nice B-15C and it won't break the bank, you should be able to pick one up within your $200 budget.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Weintraub Bros. (Patriot Uniforms) used to make a very passable B-15C (the blue USAF Korean War era version) which had nice details.

Sadly they don't make them anymore, although they are listed on their website - don't bother emailing them though as you won't get a response.

Saying that they do come up on eBay and sometimes deadstock items. Nice B-15C and it won't break the bank, you should be able to pick one up within your $200 budget.

Thanks. Hadn't heard of them; will snoop around eBay.

Edward

Bartender

Interesting tip... I love the B15C.

I'm pretty sure they are aware of the jacket collector's market. Alpha has actually made some pretty good…and some very good…reproduction jackets from time to time in the past. In the late 1990s they produced a 1968 D-series MA-1 that was almost indistinguishable from an original. Seriously, it looked and felt like an NOS issued jacket. I bought one and paid around $100.00, as I recall.

AF

I agree with you - comparing my Alpha B15C (early 90s Replica Series) and Buzz B15C Mod directly, the Alpha is a damn sight closer than the rpice discrepancy would suggest. I wish they would go into the good repro market again, but it's probably just not big enough outside Japan... Nobody wore a B15 in MASH, and there's never been a fetishised portrayal of a war hero type wearing one with the sort of profile Steve MacQueen gave the A2, so there's just not the mass-market demand for which a company like Alpha would be looking. Shame.... I'd love to collect one of each of the B15 variants, or at least a B15D & Mod, as well as the first issue (pre-orange liner) MA1. I'd especially love to have an L2A to the same standard as my B15C Replica Series. Expensive as the Buzz B15s are, the price they charge for the L2 jackets is crazy. Still, there's no other game in town for that these days.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Since y'all brought it up, what makes a B-15c a "c"? Or any of the, I think, four variants (a,b,c,d?)? I believe I read that USAF started to get away from mouton collars because of fouling with parachute harnesses or some such. While we're there, how long were MA-1's made with the reversible orange lining?

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Since y'all brought it up, what makes a B-15c a "c"? Or any of the, I think, four variants (a,b,c,d?)?

"A" was cotton. "B" was first nylon B-15. "C" was similar to "B" but with slightly asymmetrical zipper arrangement because on left side of the jacket, there was a band to fit the pilot's oxygen tube. A lot of Cs were navy blue. Probably Alpha's so called b-15c is just wrong :p. "D" was the first gun metal finish. Best "camo" than navy blue in case the pilot goes down.

I believe I read that USAF started to get away from mouton collars because of fouling with parachute harnesses or some such

The mouton collar was synthetic, therefore highly flamable. When this fact was noticed after some incidents, the Command ordered to remove all collars from B-15 jackets. These B-15 are known as B-15 "mod". Eventually they were replaced with MA-1, a thicker version of L-2.

While we're there, how long were MA-1's made with the reversible orange lining?

Yes, some military nylon jackets in this era, not only MA-1, had reversible orange lining. It was for rescue purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael