Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALIEN....the prequel?

swinggal

One Too Many
There have been so many rumours about this movie. Some even stated that is was a 'fan-movie', but this seems to have been dispelled. Other stories state that there will be no connection between this movie and the next in regard to characters or future dealings (Alien)....so therefore, how could it be a prequel? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Anyway, being a huge Alien and Aliens fan (the rest, meh) I was hoping for some sort of backstory about the 'Space Jockey', their race and how the ship came to be stranded on LV-426 and maybe, where the Xenomorph alien actually comes from.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
There have been so many rumours about this movie. Some even stated that is was a 'fan-movie', but this seems to have been dispelled. Other stories state that there will be no connection between this movie and the next in regard to characters or future dealings (Alien)....so therefore, how could it be a prequel? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Anyway, being a huge Alien and Aliens fan (the rest, meh) I was hoping for some sort of backstory about the 'Space Jockey', their race and how the ship came to be stranded on LV-426 and maybe, where the Xenomorph alien actually comes from.

There are connections. In the trailer we see flashes of "The SpaceJockey" from the original film. Or at least a similar being.

The "company" from Alien wasnt really named, but there were logos on the equipmnt in most scenes. In ALIENS, that logo was directly used as th name of the company, Weyland Yutani.

Director RidleyScott on the WeylandYutani link:
"When the first 'Alien' movie and 'Blade Runner' were made, I thought that in the near future the world will be owned by large companies. This is why we have the Tyrell Corporation in 'Blade Runner', and Weyland-Yutani in 'Alien'. They sent the Nostromo spaceship.
The Prometheus is owned by an entrepreneur called Peter Weyland, and is played by Guy Pearce. That's the connection between the two films, and nothing more. Prometheus is a new film, a new world, and is full of new ideas. And of course new monsters as well."

I get the feeling that if he explained the links more extensively, some of the new movie's surprise would go flat. Heres another quote from Ridley Scott:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ridley-scott-talks-prometheus

"I mean, you could actually say, and there's a quote I did, a pretty good quote: By the end of the third act you start to realize there's a DNA of the very first alien, but none of the subsequent aliens.

"To tell you what that is is a pity, and I'm not going to tell you, because it's actually pretty good, pretty organic to the process and to the original. But we go back, we don't go forward."

Last edited:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I like the spacesuits in the trailers. The tight fit & clear oblong helmets seem more retro to suggest it takes place well before the ALIEN movie. Sorta like the original StarWars was more based in WWII designs, but the PhantomMenace went very art deco.

Anyway, the running scenes in the form fitting spacesuit w/ oblong bubble helmet & brandishing a pistol brings to mind more goldenage sci-fi
Vintage1.jpg

130.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld