Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden All Weather Walking Shoes...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
...And other pairs of Aldens. Any words of encouragement that might help me justify the price? I tried on a pair of them, and I love them. Problem is, they're $400, and although I'd get good use out of them, I'm having trouble parting with that much money. What do you guys have to say? Words of recommendation? Caution?

Thanks,
Alex

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Alden Shoes at J. Crew

I'd be curious to get others' opinions, too. These are a new offering from J. Crew for $450:

Picture1-2.png

They're selling Blundstones and Levi's, too!

sixties.nut

RE: Aldens

I've never owned a pair of alden's yet so I can't speak on it. For that kinda dough I'd have to take a serious look at Russells though.

The hands down best pair of comfort/walkers I have worn was the Ecco Cross model. I think now it's called Cross II? Not for certain as I've had these shoes for quite some time now. They still look 'almost' brand new.

I've been looking at the Alden's military boots recently but haven't pulled the trigger so far. Can anybody else vouch for this brand?

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I have a pair and while yes, the quality is nice... looking back I wouldn't have spent the cake. I mean they're still just glorified dress shoes and are sold in fixed sizes. If you truly plan to walk, they're thick soled dress shoes...

However, you can go to White's and get a completely custom pair of boots for the same money. To your measurements, in your exact sizes and you can choose your sole and heel. But yes, they do not do that cool mock-toe.

And a brief rant... the qoute on the JCrew add is a bunch trendy, pretentious psuedo-classy hooey... :rolleyes: Should read "... for trends of 2010 he gets it..."

Breaking in a pair of army boots is a true rite of passage... I bought Aldens not to be trendy or for a sense of self-worth... I wanted Indy Boots!

Clint

Oh and P.S. Alden sell's 'em for $100 less @ $344.00 http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=109 So definately go that route.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a big fan of Aldens. I do think they are 'worth' it, although you have to come to terms with the price. Keep in mind you can have them recrafted over the years, which greatly extends their life.

If you really loved the All-Weather Walkers I think they're a quality buy. Make sure to keep shoe trees in them.

I agree you can do better than the J Crew price on Indys, however.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
AlanC said:
I'm a big fan of Aldens. I do think they are 'worth' it, although you have to come to terms with the price. Keep in mind you can have them recrafted over the years, which greatly extends their life.

If you really loved the All-Weather Walkers I think they're a quality buy. Make sure to keep shoe trees in them.

I agree you can do better than the J Crew price on Indys, however.

Are they comfortable for someone who's up and down stairs, and on his feet all day?

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I too am a fan of the Aldens as far as the looks and quality and stoutness. The Indy lure got me from the start!!

However, as a true work and/or walking shoe they really aren't great. I do wear mine to work, all day as I've spent the money and plan to get my $$$ out of 'em. Work on a military base in a vehicles testing shop- Have a mixture of concrete and tile floors and climb stairs and vehicles. By the end of the day my knees will ache. Plus if you encounter ANY moisture, puddles, oils, etc, etc you will regret the cork-neoprene sole as its completely tread-proof and can be slippery as heck.

As Alan states they can be rebuilt and I plan to have different soles put on which I'm sure will improve things.

My White's are 16" tall so despite being more comfortable all-round aren't practical for wearing all day at work. But eventually I'll move to White's Semi-Dress for work. Might even beg to have the mock-toe replicated!!!

Hope this helps.
Clint

Russ257

New in Town
A pair is in my future just need to save the funds. I was talking to a friend about them and he got them for the indy look and liked them so much he bought a second pair and they are his favorite shoe. The way I look at it they will last ten years(probably longer) so that is 35 dollars per year.

Jedburgh

New in Town
Opinions vary so here is a different one. I got my first pair of Alden 405s (Indy's) before I knew about the movie relationship. My first pair was a great boot but the later ones were not. One thing that really ate at me was the fact that the boot tongue would slide over and needed to be stitched. A $300 plus boot should not have this problem. When I spoke with Alden about this in 2005, they knew it was an issue and from posts I have seen, it is still an issue. I'd like to note that I got my first pair in 2000 and they were well below the $300 price tag and they were made correctly.

For a little more money, I can get a custom White's semi-dress that is done right. I am not impressed with Alden or their customer service. I buy shoes to wear them and boots to actually use. Many will buy the 405 because of the movie affiliation and so they can dress up like Indy. I prefer hard use items that are done right and not overpriced costume pieces which I feel the Alden is.

YMMV

norton

One of the Regulars
I love Alden's because I can get them in narrow widths and the dress shoes are very well made with good materials. I have a pair of the all weather walkers that I seldom wear. They would be best for a winter shoe when you don't want to wear leather soles. They're very comfortable, but not as dressy as a dress shoe and not as casual as a casual shoe. They shine up well. They are acceptable for a lot of situations but ideal for none. Mine are black in size 10D if your interested. I bought them before I figured out I needed a C width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld