Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubras at an attractive price.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OutbackOutlet.com

1011.jpg

Just picked this up for $54 & change! The lady to whom I spoke told me the sizing should not be s,m,l,xl...but metric (as we know Akubras are sized) I told her I took a 59 or 60 & that seemed to take care of it.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Wow! The temptation to jump on this is immense! The only way I can resist is by telling myself that if I put the cash in escrow, and DON'T buy four more attractively priced Akubras, I could afford an Adventurebilt. Not that I have the money for either, really.

Do report on the "Adventure" when it arrives. Is it like a Fed, or a completely different hat?

fedoracpa

New in Town
That is quite an attractive price. I have been looking for a nice chocolate brown fedora. While this one looks great, I think the brim might be too wide for my taste. As a new fedora wearer, I have a Dobbs Dayton and two Stetson Saxons, which all have stingy brims. I noticed the physical store is in PA, but about 2 hours from my home, so driving there would be more costly than paying for shipping. Very tempting though, I'll have to run it by the Mrs. first, she will probably end up squashing the idea anyhow!!

AlanC

The folks there are very nice. I called them up this morning. Apparently they are clearing out their Akubras for some replacement brand, which she didn't name. So when they're gone, they're gone. I went ahead and ordered my normal size (59). Some have said that Akubras run big, but I was afraid to take the risk on going down.

I've been wanting to give Akubra a try, and at this price I could justify (rationalize?) it.

fatwoul

Practically Family
AlanC said:
...Some have said that Akubras run big, but I was afraid to take the risk on going down...

My experience says to stick with your normal size, as they tend to shrink quite nicely, and quite quickly.

Some people suggest contacting the vendor in question and asking them to run a tape measure inside the headband to see what size they really are, but my hunch is that you'll be just fine.

AlanC

Thanks for the sizing reassurance, fatwoul.

Rick Blaine said:
the $54 includes $7 & change f/ shipping.

Unless you order two hats, in which case it's $3 more. ;)

The brim is a dimensional cut, 2 7/8" (76 mm) front & back, 2 3/4" (70mm) on the sides.

Ah, good to know!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
The brim is a dimensional cut, 2 7/8" (76 mm) front & back, 2 3/4" (70mm) on the sides.

The Federation is dimensional with 73mm and 70mm, so it might well be the same.

fishmeok

Vendor
I tried an adventurer on at the Minnesota State Fair on Friday, then my Federation arrived Saturday- they are very similar but the adventurer is much stiffer and comes pre-bashed. It also seems to have a shorter crown but that could be me. Very nice hat though.
Cheers
Mark

AlanC

fishmeok said:
I tried an adventurer on at the Minnesota State Fair on Friday, then my Federation arrived Saturday- they are very similar but the adventurer is much stiffer and comes pre-bashed. It also seems to have a shorter crown but that could be me. Very nice hat though.

Thanks for the report. Is the Adventurer soft enough for a rebash without too much trouble?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
The folks there are very nice. I called them up this morning. Apparently they are clearing out their Akubras for some replacement brand, which she didn't name. So when they're gone, they're gone. I went ahead and ordered my normal size (59). Some have said that Akubras run big, but I was afraid to take the risk on going down.

I've been wanting to give Akubra a try, and at this price I could justify (rationalize?) it.
I think akubras are great! Will definitely buy more. They soften up quickly with use and are unbeatable for the price. You will not be disappointed!

AlanC

I got the Adventurer, which I will psuedo Indy-ize, and the Riverina, which I plan to put a pugaree on ala Mike K's. I kept trying to decide which one I wanted to get, so finally figured I'd just get both. Both will be field/travel hats that I won't have to worry too much about. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I called and placed an order just a few minutes ago, thanks for the tip-off! The lady on the phone said that since the link has been posted here, they've been receiving orders all day and the hats (especially the Adventurer) are selling like hotcakes. If you want 'em, better order soon.

Rick Blaine

DominusTecum said:
I called and placed an order just a few minutes ago, thanks for the tip-off! The lady on the phone said that since the link has been posted here, they've been receiving orders all day and the hats (especially the Adventurer) are selling like hotcakes. If you want 'em, better order soon.
I warned her when I spoke with her yesterday. "I know some guys who are hat freaks and they'll be calling you tomorrow to buy you out"...thanks for not making a liar outta me, folks! :eusa_clap :D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Yeah! No kidding Dominus. I just called! I've been stalling on the Banjo hat for a long time, and she thinks she has one in my size left, and one other! I'm passing on the Adventurer. I have two brown Federations and an AB, so that's one less person for the rest of you to compete with. lol

I really hope she still has that Banjo! Thanks for the heads-up, Rick!!!!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Almost as good a deal as my flea market find!

I just called and ordered an Adventurer. Alan, when you're right, you're right! lol

Jerekson, I agree with you, but hey... the Adventurer is close!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe