Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
rrog, my Stylemaster is steel gray, from Hatsdirect. In person, the hat does look darker than the Hatsdirect picture however. I'm not sure about EA, and whether its the same color or not.

rrog said:
Scion, pardon my bad eyes, but what color is that? From the pics, I can't tell if it's mid grey or steel grey or a brownish color. I've been looking at the Stylemaster in the steel grey color from hatsdirect. I think EA has it listed as mid gray. Does anyone know if these are the same colors? Or are they different shades of grey made for different vendors? Thanks in advance for comments/answers.

And FYI, as of today, EA has the Stylemaster listed at $56.81 compared to hatdirect's price of $64.02. I haven't gone through the order process to determine what shipping is for each store, so I don't know the difference on shipping.

That's a good looking hat you've got there, btw.

rrog

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
And FYI, as of today, EA has the Stylemaster listed at $56.81 compared to hatdirect's price of $64.02. I haven't gone through the order process to determine what shipping is for each store, so I don't know the difference on shipping.
rrog

rrog, you'll find that Hatsdirect's shipping cost is quite a bit higher than EA's.. but you're likely to get your hat a lot quicker from Hatsdirect. I've ordered hats from both places. Hatsdirect has the hats in stock whereas EA usually doesn't, and Hatsdirect is a more full service hattery. Not that I had a bad experience with EA, Hatsdirect is just what I would describe as more full service. I have two hats on order from EA now, but I knew going in that I was going to wait for them. That's ok for me...I've got hats to wear in the meantime. :)

rrog

A-List Customer
BobC said:
I have two hats on order from EA now, but I knew going in that I was going to wait for them.

Did you order any colors that have the three month wait? I ordered one that supposedly is in stock. Or at least it didn't mention a long wait when I used the pull-down menu to order the color. I'm hoping it will be here by Christmas.

rrog

KatintheHat

Suspended
I have two. Luckily one I got from Outback Outlet for less than $50 shipped, and the other was barter for building my bud a new computer. Shoulda asked for more considering the prices these days. I'm still happy. I love Akubra's.

BobC

rrog said:
Did you order any colors that have the three month wait? I ordered one that supposedly is in stock. Or at least it didn't mention a long wait when I used the pull-down menu to order the color. I'm hoping it will be here by Christmas.

rrog

I ordered a taupe fawn Campdraft with a 3 month wait, but I already have a silverbelly Campdraft. The other one was a heritage fawn Banjo Patterson that was supposed to be in stock, but I got an e-mail from EA saying they were sold out of my size and should have more in 4 weeks. They offered to let me cancel the order if I wanted to.

The first hat I ordered from them about a year ago was a moonstone Stylemaster that was supposed to take 3 months, but it wasn't that long. I understand that Akubra's production cycles through all of their styles and colors, and how long your hat takes depends on where they are in their cycle when you order. So your wait could end up being shorter.

Viper Man

Banned
I bit the bullet and order a Deluxe Fed IV in Moonstone from Hats Direct and it was in stock and will ship out shortly. I am excited as this will be my first Akubra and I have been wanting a wide brim gray fedora for awhile.

my order experience

they had my silverbelly campdraft instock and should have my carbon grey fed IV by next week.

They said shipping is usually only 3-5 days, is that really true?

I know some of you guys have the silverbelly campdraft, BobC, your pics convinced me to buy one, but as I'm anxiously awaiting the order, how dirty does that color get? I usually grab a hat as I'm walking out the door, but I don't wear them all day at work, etc. I'm just wondeirng if it's going to be a dirt magnet.

Thanks for the input...

BobC

RobFedoraField said:
they had my silverbelly campdraft instock and should have my carbon grey fed IV by next week.

They said shipping is usually only 3-5 days, is that really true?

I know some of you guys have the silverbelly campdraft, BobC, your pics convinced me to buy one, but as I'm anxiously awaiting the order, how dirty does that color get? I usually grab a hat as I'm walking out the door, but I don't wear them all day at work, etc. I'm just wondeirng if it's going to be a dirt magnet.

Thanks for the input...

Thanks, Rob, I'm glad you like it. It's one of my favorites, so much so I ordered a taupe fawn Campdraft too. I wear my Campdraft quite a bit and haven't had any big trouble with it getting very dirty, maybe an occasional smudge here and there, but I don't wear my hats or I take them off if I think they might get dirty. I don't wear my hats to work either because I don't have a safe place to keep them there. For the dirt they do pick up, I have a couple of those dry powder sponge things that so far work well.

I have found that Hatsdirect shipping is not as quick to me as it is to some of the other guys here. It has taken about two weeks for the three that I have from them to arrive each time. Hatsdirect blames the delay on US customs, but who knows - the important thing is that they do arrive. I have also ordered Akubras from Everything Australian, and Hatsdirect is the quicker of the two.

You're going to like the Campdraft and the Fed. They're both very nice hats.

By the way, welcome to the lounge. :) You'll like it here.

BobC

Viper Man said:
I bit the bullet and order a Deluxe Fed IV in Moonstone from Hats Direct and it was in stock and will ship out shortly. I am excited as this will be my first Akubra and I have been wanting a wide brim gray fedora for awhile.

You'll like the Fed Dlx, Viper Man. Maybe we can get you into a Campdraft too before long. [huh]

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Bobc's pics inspired me to buy a silverbelly Campdraft, too! He really looks good in his.
As far as dirt is concerned, the color is light, but not that light. It's more of a medium beige and shouldn't show dirt too badly. As I discovered yesterday, Akubra's silverbelly is really "sand" and matches almost exactly the sand colored felt sample that I received from Art Fawcett.
It's still a beautuful color, but I think it definitely belongs in the "earth tone" category rather than the silvery/white one might expect.
And I've had really great service and fast shipping from Hats Direct--eight days from Australia to France!

Viper Man

Banned
BobC said:
You'll like the Fed Dlx, Viper Man. Maybe we can get you into a Campdraft too before long. [huh]

I actually debated between the two. Who knows? Maybe there will be another thin ribbon in my future. Bob, do you have your Federation bashed "Indy Style"? It seems like almost every photo I have seen of the Fed is creased like Indy's but I don't plan on going that route with mine.

BobC

Viper Man said:
I actually debated between the two. Who knows? Maybe there will be another thin ribbon in my future. Bob, do you have your Federation bashed "Indy Style"? It seems like almost every photo I have seen of the Fed is creased like Indy's but I don't plan on going that route with mine.

Both of my Feds are bashed with a center dent/pinch. The moonstone is pinched a little tighter and has deeper pinches than the heritage fawn. I guess I would say they are quasi-Indy but not pinched as tight as some of the Indy bashes I've seen. Occasionally I have pulled the center dent out to make a diamond, but I really prefer the center dent in them.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

The pic of the moonstone was taken when the hat had just arrived. I have worked on it since to make it more how I like it. I've also fixed that off center pinch in the heritage fawn. lol

BobC

Jauntyone said:
Bobc's pics inspired me to buy a silverbelly Campdraft, too! He really looks good in his.
As far as dirt is concerned, the color is light, but not that light. It's more of a medium beige and shouldn't show dirt too badly. As I discovered yesterday, Akubra's silverbelly is really "sand" and matches almost exactly the sand colored felt sample that I received from Art Fawcett.
It's still a beautuful color, but I think it definitely belongs in the "earth tone" category rather than the silvery/white one might expect.
And I've had really great service and fast shipping from Hats Direct--eight days from Australia to France!

Thank you, JO. it's the Campdraft that's inspiring though. And yes the color is more of what I would call sand than true silverbelly.

Viper Man

Banned
BobC said:
Both of my Feds are bashed with a center dent/pinch. The moonstone is pinched a little tighter and has deeper pinches than the heritage fawn. I guess I would say they are quasi-Indy but not pinched as tight as some of the Indy bashes I've seen. Occasionally I have pulled the center dent out to make a diamond, but I really prefer the center dent in them.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

The pic of the moonstone was taken when the hat had just arrived. I have worked on it since to make it more how I like it. I've also fixed that off center pinch in the heritage fawn. lol

Sharp! Those Feds look great on you!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Non-Indy Federation

Viper Man said:

Here's a link to my Fed III with a Maltese Falcon type bash. I had earlier bashed the same hat in a nice diamond and there are pics of that somewhere in the Diamond Authority.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34737

I think you can do almost any type of 1930s or 1940s bash with a Fed and it'll look great. It's a very versatile hat, and its too bad that most revert to an Indy bash, though that looks great too. I've often thought we should start a thread of non-Indy Federations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld