Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Adventurer in Black or Brown?

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Graphite might essentially be black. I'd get brown, tan or a lighter grey but, that's me. There's a thread somewhere here titled No Love For Black Hats, which explains it all. :)

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I can see what you mean. In fact, the hat hat on the DM site looks more like a fed IV as it appears to have a more boxy crown.......
This little vid may give you a better idea of the Adventurer.
[video=youtube_share;QB9FM8eLljk]http://youtu.be/QB9FM8eLljk[/video]

Thank you for this video. The Adventurer in "Graphite Grey" and "Regency Fawn" (you'd think they were naming Rolls Royce colors) are pretty sweet, but I have to admit, the brown still looks best overall and I'm still not convinced this is the same hat sold by David Morgan under the same name. The Akubra Bianca in "cloud" (AKA "silverbelly") is also beautiful but I'm not sure why they reverse the ribbon on that model?

Ref: http://www.hatsbythe100.com.au/brands/akubra-hats.html

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm still not convinced this is the same hat sold by David Morgan under the same name.

I think you're right not to be..........I'm pretty sure now that the hat on the Morgan site is not an adventurer but a Fed IV or something similar .......the colour, crown shape & height are not that of an Adventurer which has a lower, more tapered crown & the Adventurer comes already creased where as the Fed IV arrives as an open crown.........if you prefer the David Morgan 'version' to that of the original Akubra Adventurer then prehaps you should be looking at something like the Fed IV :)
Anyway have sift through these before you decide (if you haven't already)
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?21734-Akubra-Adventurer-Alliance

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?33000-Akubra-Overload

l

but I'm not sure why they reverse the ribbon on that model?

It's for the ladies............give it a girlie name, add a few pretty colours to the range & change the side of the ribbon & you've got yourself a 'new model' for a specific clientele.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't think an Adventurer would assist you to the look you are after. The crown is inadequate and although I like it, it's a generic Indy Jones style hat (originally commissioned for Gowings, a great Aussie department store long gone). Maybe the American version has been tweaked and the crown lifted. But why not get a Drover or Bushman, or a higher, open crown hat more in keeping with your look? And preferably brown. I've owned about 8-10 black hats over the decades and I've rarely worn them. I wear a dark brown hat with blue, black and everything else because matching colours isn't a science but an art.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just read this from FL in 2008 - so the Adventurer has changed. The ones I've seen recently are clearly new old stock. Now they are similar to the Federation.

The Akubra Adventurer was actually originally made exclusively for a Sydney clothing store called "Gowings" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gowings) and then licensed to David Morgan in the US. When the Gowings store closed in 2006 and the license expired, they then started selling it through "Strand Hatters" in Sydney, which is the only place you can buy it in Australia over the counter from what i understand.

Strand Hatters (http://www.strandhatters.com.au) is by far the best hat store in Sydney and has a large range of Akubra hats as it is the only store owned by Akubra themselves. Unfortunately the website isn't really a true indication of what they stock in store :(

Then from Vendor Will Morgan:

I had the pleasure of visiting Strand Hatters last month, buying a Tablelands that is my main hat now! They indeed had some old style Adventurers in stock.

Some clarification, we at David Morgan didn't license that design, rather we worked with Akubra to design a new hat based on information we were given by the movie's prop master in 2007, we had good communication with him because David Morgan whips are used in each of the movies.

Because the original Adventurer was not selling much anymore, and the name is quite appropriate for such a brown fedora, Akubra christened this new hat "Adventurer" .

We offer the Adventurer to any of our dealers in the US and Canada.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
So let's see if I've got this straight.....[huh] The Akubra Adventurers with the tapered, pre-creased crown are in fact an older design whereas the newest models are a sort of copy of the Fed IV but rebaptised the Adventurer, such as the ones on the David Morgan site or is the DM hat made exclusively for Morgan's & it's DM themselves that have named the hat the 'Adventurer' ??? :frusty:

On the David Morgan site it is stated & I quote " The Adventurer is an Akubra in the same general dimensional shape, style and color as the fedora worn by Indiana Jones in the "Indiana Jones" movies" .........that is a load of baloney, firstly each of the Indy films had a different hat with different dimensions & secondly the 'original' Raiders of the lost ark hat, which had the widest brim to date was only 2.75 inches wide back & front & not the 3-1/8 inches of the Morgan hat, the sides too were narrower than the Morgan model.............nothing wrong with wider brimmed feds but claiming they have the same dimensions as the movie hats is just downright deceitfulness :D but I suppose ' general dimensional shape' could be interpreted any which way one chooses.

Glad we've got that cleared up....:laugh:

Last edited:

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I will note that in my experience brown hats look fabulous with blue suits. My old Indy knock-off was great with my navy pinstripe. When that hat was lost to a moth banquet, I got a longhair brown from Optimo, because the suit just didn't look right with my moonstone Fed.

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
+1 agreed that brown would go good with either blue or gray with that said I do like a black hat and if the bug has bitten you then both are in your future

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Just read this from FL in 2008 - so the Adventurer has changed. The ones I've seen recently are clearly new old stock. Now they are similar to the Federation.

The Akubra Adventurer was actually originally made exclusively for a Sydney clothing store called "Gowings" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gowings) and then licensed to David Morgan in the US. When the Gowings store closed in 2006 and the license expired, they then started selling it through "Strand Hatters" in Sydney, which is the only place you can buy it in Australia over the counter from what i understand.

Strand Hatters (http://www.strandhatters.com.au) is by far the best hat store in Sydney and has a large range of Akubra hats as it is the only store owned by Akubra themselves. Unfortunately the website isn't really a true indication of what they stock in store :(

Then from Vendor Will Morgan:

I had the pleasure of visiting Strand Hatters last month, buying a Tablelands that is my main hat now! They indeed had some old style Adventurers in stock.

Some clarification, we at David Morgan didn't license that design, rather we worked with Akubra to design a new hat based on information we were given by the movie's prop master in 2007, we had good communication with him because David Morgan whips are used in each of the movies.

Because the original Adventurer was not selling much anymore, and the name is quite appropriate for such a brown fedora, Akubra christened this new hat "Adventurer" .

We offer the Adventurer to any of our dealers in the US and Canada.

Thanks very much for clearing this up. Reusing the name "adventurer" wasn't too bright...

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I think the Adventurer looks significantly different from the Fed IV. The brim of the Adventurer looks to me like an aussie style, while the Fed IV appears to have a snap-brim.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I think the Adventurer looks significantly different from the Fed IV. The brim of the Adventurer looks to me like an aussie style, while the Fed IV appears to have a snap-brim.

I have both and they are different. Both do have dimensional brims but my Fed IV is more of a snap brim and it not nearly as wide as the Adventurer. Both hats do love the elements and can stand up to all kinds of weather.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
The Akrubra Adventurer available from U.S.A. retailers such as David Morgan, Kakadu Trader, and Cultured Cowboy is a different hat from the Akubra Adventurer available from Australian retailers such as Everything Australian and Australian Gear. The listed dimensions and photographs of these two hats are quite different, with the American version Akubra Adventurer having a considerably wider brim.
I do not own an Australian version Akubra Adventurer, but I do have both a Hats Direct Akubra Federation IV, which appears to be very similar to an Australian version Akubra Adventurer, and an American version Akubra Adventurer, and they are quite different hats.
The Akubra Federation IV has dimensional brim of 2-3/4" x 2-1/2", while the American version Akubra Adventurer has a dimensional brim of 3-1/4" x 2-3/4". I cannot give precise open crown heights for these two hats as I have bashed them both long ago, however, although the American version Akubra Adventurer is listed as being 5-1/2" in height, mine was actually a little bit taller, at about 5-5/8" to 5-11/16", and is about 1/8" to 3/16" taller than my Akubra Federation IV.
There is a considerable difference in the thickness of the felt of the two hats, with the Akubra Federation IV weighing 5.6 ounces, and the American version Akubra Adventurer weighing 4.9 ounces, despite being much the larger of the two hats. If you want a hat to wear in cold winter weather, then avoid the American version Akubra Adventurer, as it is quite a light hat, as most fur felt hats go these days. Conversely, of course, it's just the thing for the spring and autumn.
Finally, the upsweep of the back of the brim of the Akubra Federation IV, though slight, is considerably more than that of the American version Akubra Adventurer, which has practically no upsweep to the back brim at all.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
My ancient (93 years old) aunt actually expressed shock that I wore a grey hat and black shoes with a light grey suit, insisting that a brown hat and shoes were always the only things to wear with a grey suit. I myself think that either of these combinations work well with a light grey suit, and that a dark brown hat and dark brown or black shoes are splendid with a dark grey suit. provided one also wears a brown, red or yellow tie, or a brownish, reddish or yellowish shirt. But heck, it's up to you to make your own style.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
My ancient (93 years old) aunt actually expressed shock that I wore a grey hat and black shoes with a light grey suit, insisting that a brown hat and shoes were always the only things to wear with a grey suit. I myself think that either of these combinations work well with a light grey suit, and that a dark brown hat and dark brown or black shoes are splendid with a dark grey suit. provided one also wears a brown, red or yellow tie, or a brownish, reddish or yellowish shirt. But heck, it's up to you to make your own style.

A light grey suit and brown shoes? Hmmm... No. Cordovan? Sure. Brown? No. Dark grey suits need black shoes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld