Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aging

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hello dolls~

Long time no see! Frankly I've had quite a crummy 6 months, lots of family drama and other issues. Certainly no time for vintage. But I have missed you!!
(Kevin, Nova, and I are hunky dorie tho!)

One thing that has been heavy on my mind is that I feel I have really aged in the last year. And I'm beginning to think I look ridiculous in my vintage garb. (Not just vintage, but my costuming passion too.) I put on one of my Scarlett O'Hara gowns and think, who are you trying to kid?

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm 37. I'm getting saggy eyelids. Crows feet. Jowls.

Will I be dressing this way when I'm 60? When is it time to let go?

I wish shorter, modern cuts "went" with vintage dresses. I've been inticed by a cute short haircut for months, but am just not ready. Being a hairdresser makes it harder!
I cut my shoulder length hair recently and HATE it. It needs to be SHORT or LONG, not in between. I also went brunette and HATED that too. The red is coming back.

Thoughts about aging and vintage?

LaMedicine

One Too Many
ohairas said:
I AM 60. :rolleyes: Okay, so I don't dress vintage, I never have, rather, my style is conservative and tasteful. :) But then, being 60 means that I've pretty much seen firsthand what most of you consider vintage, even though I was still a kid and not old enough to wear anything grown up. So, I don't choose clothes or the style I dress in because they are vintage, nor do I choose because they are modern. I choose them because they help define me, define who I am, and make me look good and feel good.
I do not think there needs to be a *time to let go*. I think that one needs to find what suits him/her best, what one feels most *comfortable* in. Not be worn by clothes, but be wearing the clothes. So long as you understand that and stick to that, then, whether you dress vintage or modern, you will be *you* and that should be the most important thing.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I've always admired you! (we've missed you on here! but you helped me with the titanic combs on Flickr!)

I think you need to bring back the red and get into your vintage kit again!!!

You're gorgeous ducky! Now no more silly talk about jowls or wrinkles.......

tsk tsk!lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ohairas said:
Hello dolls~
Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm 37. I'm getting saggy eyelids. Crows feet. Jowls.

I'm ten years older than you, and frankly, I think the "vintage look" is eveb more becoming on those of us of middle years than it is on the younguns. Certainly more so than the "hey I'm really just 25 even though I'm not" approaches that modern fashion demands.

LaMedicine offers the best advice you're likely to hear on this subject. Heed the doctor's prescription there, and you'll be fine.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Welcome back. We have missed you and I hope that all is getting better with your family.

I think as we age it's natural to change your style somewhat. Things you might have worn ten years ago can seem not quite right anymore and we progress onto something else. The same with hairstyles, make up etc.

That doesn't necessarily mean you change your style completely - you are who you are - but perhaps you want to tweak it a bit. If we stayed exactly the same for 40, 50, 60 years, we might get bored of ourselves!

So you tried brunette and didn't like it on you. Change back to what you like and makes you feel happy within yourself. Experiment with what works for you. Look for examples of vintage style that will work with what you want. For example, there were short haircuts in the 40s if that's what you'd prefer for yourself now.

But mostly, have fun! Life's too short, as the last six months have shown you, to worry too much.

Blondie

Practically Family
Aging and vintage....
This too has been my dilemma, i have always dressed 50's, 50's hair, clothes everything, now that i am getting older i am moving away from that and am exploring the 40's, Lauren Bacall is my inspiration. I guess what i am saying is to look at other era's, just because your a certain age it doesnt mean you have to give up on vintage all together, experiment , try new looks. You can add vintage with modern, mix it up & have fun. You don't have to be a vintage purist to look and feel fabulous.
I changed from platinum blonde to a warmer blonde , it looks great i might add, so many people have told me it makes me look younger, so thats a good thing !!! You can P.M me and will elaborate on my journey of aging & vintage !

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ohairas, I'm 1 year behind you and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I also got rid of the red, but mainly because I was doing a bleach and tone red that fried my hair. As the gray comes in, I notice that vintage style make-up looks quite harsh on me. I think the gray also looks aging in a wet set style, but that could be my memories of beauty school, spending day after day of doing wet sets. I think summers will always be filled with vintage style sundresses, simply because sundresses never go out of fashion, but my winter wardrobe has been leaning toward more classic, elegant, timeless rather than any one decade. I'm trying to take my cue from my great aunt, who wore Chanel suits, pearls and basic but highend pumps every day of her life. She was never out of style but didn't chase the fads, either.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome back OHairas!

I am 50 next year, and I feel more like wearing vintage all the time. I find it much more flattering than modern clothing to my more mature looks.

But no one can make that decision for you!

Having a haircut you hate isn't helping any. Sounds like snoods might help!

I have to say though, hearing this kind of "aging" comments from someone who ISN'T EVEN 40 YET is really weird.

Regarding the crows feet etc, moisturize more, exfoliate more, it will help. Stay the heck out of the sun too.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Im a little the same....dont throw stones at me for this but....! :eusa_doh:

When I turned 30 this year I freaked out. I went on a skincare rampage (thankfully I've never been a sun worshipper) and worry about wrinkles and stuff already.

Finding a white hair this week was my "moment". The fact that I was at work made it worse! But I think as we get older, we can still dress vintage too.

Except for the vintage 80s. Let us pray that never comes back into fashion! lol

Inky

One Too Many
I'll be 50 next May. I'm finally coming to terms with my age and living the moment to enjoy it, not wish I had my youth back.

The older I get the more vintage I prefer. Or I guess I would call it "classic" style. Things I can wear for years to come. Yes, I still love my rocka/psychobilly stuff, yes, I still have my lip and tongue piercings and yes, more tattoos planned. Will I ever look/act "my age?" Nope. You've got limited time here, live for yourself, not for others or what others think/do/say. Be comfortable in your skin, if that means shorter hair, then so be it. If that means vintage, great, if not, that's okay too. The point is to be happy with yourself.

Because you're the only self you've got :)

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Hello Dolls!
Well it's time for Auntie to tell a story! pull up a chair have some coffee cake & don't forget the cup of your favorite!(and don't forget the "spice!afterall, we are having a beverage!have a little "spice")

Ok I've come to the conclusion that I've "got a a few years on y'all" however, each & everyone of you have all got the "keys".
this isn't a "dress rehearsal" didn't you get the Memo!?? you do not have to "Please" anyone &/or everyone! you have to be how you are!ohairas,you are going through a "bunch of woman's stuff" right now!we all get the same way!I told my daughter who is 31 2 years ago!I feel so Redicualous when I dress in my vintage & go out into public! but then she made a very valid point she said "Mom, how lucky you are to be able to go out & about in public dressed in the way that maybe for right now makes you feel a little awakward but when you get more comfortible you'll be ok.it's like walking in heels for the first time you have to practice!people will stare but..let them!their only jealous because they are chained by fear!no one is going to arrest you for not being a comformist!" be who you are or who you want to be!we all wear "costumes" everyday! the police officer, the banker, the dry cleaning lady, the nail tech, the hairdresser! we all have a costume!so what if your costume just seems to be a little more "dressed" than most people are doing these days!
ohairas;I feel that I'm actually being a polite member of society when I dress in vintage!I am what ladies are supposed to be & look like!
The RuPauls of this world have to research how to be what we have in bred into us as women!they have to learn to walk ,build curves,act like we have been taught to be! HOW wonderful to be a woman!& to have the choices to be beautifully dressed!
we actually have to THINK about dressing (and it shows!) anyone can put on a pair of jeans!A T-Shirt & call it dressed!
I never did this until I was forced to go sit in a mall and watch the locals of the town I got sent to.you really can tell a lot about what a town is comprised of is you sit & watch!
the advice here is wonderful!these ladies really genuinely care for you! If you want to cut your hair! cut it!in the 1940's (i know because I just got finished reading a segment on this subject last week) their were 3 lengths of hair the short, the MIDDY & the long. but rember, the long you #1 can do more with & #2 it's coming onto winter all over North America.I so wanted to cut my hair off 2 weeks ago when we were still having triple digits however, I had to remind myself.....20 weeks of winter is upon us!that means snow WITH Blowing wind & chill factor!
It's your life.....step away from the vintage for awhile but I assure you, your hearts "vintage" you can step back in!take a breather! you've been up against a bunch of "stuff" for a while. I'm going to tell you though, your clients will make a comment!Mine do!they have something fresh & refreshing to look forward to!
Just my humble opinion!If I'm all wet??? please tel me so! I don't mind! that's what this areas for isn't it? a discussion! lets discuss!

Auntie Rita
(Yes, I am named after Rita Hayworth.My mother used to wait on her in LA where she[Rita] would frequent for lunch!)
PS>>
Moisturize,drink plenty of water to plump up your skin cells, & don't smoke or drink to excess.not only does the smoking deplete your cells of B6 but coupled with the drinking dehydrates you

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Well said Cool Kitten!

I guess for me, I dont dress very retro, but I like my make up, nails and hair to be. And sometimes I feel weird about it. Like people think I am old fashioned or weird!

SayCici

Practically Family
To me it sounds like just because you think you're about to be 'over the hill', you have to pack up the 'toys' and act a certain way. If you want to stop dressing a certain way, do what you're comfortable with, but don't leave something you still love behind because you're worried about what other people will think. If dressing vintage, vintage-inspired, or 'classic' makes you confident and happy, don't lose that!

As for shorter hair, I've seen plenty of short cuts throughout the 30s-50s, and it's no trouble to modernize them. My hair is sort of a grown out pixie and I don't look out of place in any of my vintage.

re: your "Scarlett O'Hara" gowns, is it maybe just fuller skirts that are bothering you? Just from watching old movies and TV shows, it seems that the more 'mature' ladies got, the less volume their skirts had.

crwritt

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Hello dolls~

Long time no see! Frankly I've had quite a crummy 6 months, lots of family drama and other issues. Certainly no time for vintage. But I have missed you!!
(Kevin, Nova, and I are hunky dorie tho!)

One thing that has been heavy on my mind is that I feel I have really aged in the last year. And I'm beginning to think I look ridiculous in my vintage garb. (Not just vintage, but my costuming passion too.) I put on one of my Scarlett O'Hara gowns and think, who are you trying to kid?

I wish shorter, modern cuts "went" with vintage dresses. I've been inticed by a cute short haircut for months, but am just not ready. Being a hairdresser makes it harder!
I cut my shoulder length hair recently and HATE it. It needs to be SHORT or LONG, not in between. I also went brunette and HATED that too. The red is coming back.

Thoughts about aging and vintage?
At 37 you are barely middle age. I think overall health and stress play a part in how young you feel. I started ballroom dancing at 40 and I'll tell you, I've felt more youthful at times in this past decade than when I was a young mother on my 30's.
This year,at 52, I was staring to feel my age, and my bad knee contributed to that.
I had surgery to repair it, and pretty much recovered from that. I've lost ten pounds in the past few weeks and found a skin care routine I just love. I'm also letting my gray hair grow in. I look and feel younger and have more energy now.
I think we all go through phases in life, and you may be in a very self critical phase right now.
Look up the Real Age test on line. It helps you assess your health ad your habits, and you may find out you're younger than you think.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Girls, you all are very kind. Wonderful advice from everyone, thank you!

I cut some layers in my hair last night and I think I am happier with it now. (I don't want a middy because my hair is too thin around my face.)

Perhaps with all that has been going on and not having any time to "primp and preen" has made me feel/look older than I am, lol! And the stress as well.

I don't smoke, seldom drink. Haven't tanned in years. I did get a spray tan for my sister's wedding this summer and LOVED it.
I also drink a lot of water.

I do so love to wear dresses and am comfortable in them. Maybe I just need to make some in more "mature" colors and patterns, as many of my vintage 40's dresses are pink/ruffly/young looking. I have a large range of vintage, but feel I need to wear spike heels with much of my 50's garb and I just can't do it much anymore; or have no place to wear such outfits.

Inky I adore your hair, the color and length.. the depth on the bottom. You look amazing and I would have never guessed your age.
Cici, your short hair is darling and you have certainly showed me how wonderful it looks with dresses, thank you!

With all of these "pearls of wisdom" I shall continue to wear my vintage loud and proud. :D

Except for the vintage 80s. Let us pray that never comes back into fashion!
HEEE! I cannot beleive it is back full fledge... and boy did that make me feel old as well, since I wore it the first go 'round! I think I shall be skipping it this time!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
re: your "Scarlett O'Hara" gowns, is it maybe just fuller skirts that are bothering you? Just from watching old movies and TV shows, it seems that the more 'mature' ladies got, the less volume their skirts had.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with this statement, for me. However, since I don't feel slim skirts suit my figure and aren't comfortable or practical for cleaning house, playing with kids, volunteering at the school, I'm veering away from vintage.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
I have a large range of vintage, but feel I need to wear spike heels with much of my 50's garb and I just can't do it much anymore; or have no place to wear such outfits.
Do you think a pointy toe wit your 50s clothing? I have found, at least at zappos.com, that there seems to be a nice selection of pointy toed pumps in a 2in heel this season. This makes them much more practical for everyday wear over a 3 or 4in heel.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The whole skirt thing leaves me bemused.

There is a world of skirts between full and pencil, either of which are very hard to wear if you aren't slim!

I personally think all full skirts make everyone look bigger. And bigger usually = older.

I know that in the 50s, full skirts were worn by all ages. Keep away from pastels and ruffles and you should be fine.

You don't see full skirts on 1930 - 36ish because no one was wearing them - so a slim skirt is fine. A longish one with a flare out at the bottom makes the hips look smaller.

Late 30s - 40s, you see the full skirts in evening gowns, but they weren't being done much for day wear until the New Look came in postwar.

A nice A-line skirt, below the knee, that fits slimly from the hip up, conceals a lot of flaws and allows plenty of freedom of movement.

It's a question of finding a vintage style that works in your lifestyle. And the courage of your convictions.

Enough about skirts...

I have also been pondering the aging thing...

I didn't ever feel attractive at all until I discovered vintage in my mid-20s. I enjoyed very much being a beauty (and I was!). But, at about age 37, I got fat. And in this society, fat = ugly. So I went through the classic grieving cycle until I finally got over myself and decided I didn't have to be "beautiful" by society's definition, but only by my own. I still sigh for my lovely lost jawline, but I am a better person for having gone through the process and learned to love my insides as much as my outsides.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
I'll be 50 next May. I'm finally coming to terms with my age and living the moment to enjoy it, not wish I had my youth back.

The older I get the more vintage I prefer. Or I guess I would call it "classic" style. Things I can wear for years to come. Yes, I still love my rocka/psychobilly stuff, yes, I still have my lip and tongue piercings and yes, more tattoos planned. Will I ever look/act "my age?" Nope. You've got limited time here, live for yourself, not for others or what others think/do/say. Be comfortable in your skin, if that means shorter hair, then so be it. If that means vintage, great, if not, that's okay too. The point is to be happy with yourself.

Because you're the only self you've got :)

Once again, Inky wins.

I'm only 34. I get "more" vintage every year, it seems. I just recently went platinum blonde and feel and look better than ever. No, I'm not trying to look 26 (a la Jean Harlow!). I wear it for myself. It makes me happy. Like Inky said, don't pay attention to what others think you should think/say/do/look at certain ages in your life. Even 60 year olds who try to look 25 -- if they think they look hot that is ALL THAT MATTERS. If you look hot and feel hot, that's it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld