Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aging a new ALC Irvin style jacket

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi Smithy. Yep I think your right and it's time to cut my losses. I'm just out side of Ballarat so i thought i might use it but i have had the ALC Irvin for about a year and hardly worn it. It's just to big and bulky plus I am Scottish so have a fairly good tolerance for cold anyway. I don't know if I can stretch for a Eastman or an Aces High so I might have a closer look at the WPG Irvin. Any one want to buy a size 44 Aviation Leathercraft Irvin?

Flashy

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hi Flashy - I completely agree with Smithy. I've been down the exact same route as you are on now. My first was a ALC. Then I got the WPG - if only for a very short time. Then I went for the AERO (and soaked it) - now I have the best repro, money can buy (IMO): One of Jon's Aces High Irvins. (Pre War type)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As the fortunate recipient of Spitty's Aero Pre-War Irvin... I intend to keep her just as she is. His shrinkage treatment did make the arms "tighter" (so tight I sometimes lose feeling in some of my fingers) but the darn thing was my "go to" jacket when the temps dipped into the teens and the snow was howling. I felt impervious in it... like Spartacus!! But it is too bulky to do anything but walk in or sit (outside) in. I think I'll be scoring a B6 or D1 sometime this year for less extreme weather. Most of my leather I buy for style the Irvin is now more for comfort. Thanks again Spitty!

Worf

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget Flash to keep an eye on eBay, Eastmans come up fairly regularly and you could get a nice broken in one for a decent price. One word of advice if you do end up going down the Eastman route, it's worth going up a size from your regular jacket size and possibly getting an extra inch on the sleeves and body if you're tall. Mine is a 42'' extra long (extra inch and a half on the body and sleeves) when I usually wear a 40'' jacket or shirt and am 6' 1'' tall. Means you can wear a jumper under it if needs be - I was living in Norway when I first bought mine so nice to have that option, at the same time I'm still not swamped in it if I only have a shirt underneath.

Haven't seen one of John's yet on eBay but he hasn't been making them for terribly long.

Best,

Tim

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As the fortunate recipient of Spitty's Aero Pre-War Irvin... I intend to keep her just as she is. His shrinkage treatment did make the arms "tighter" (so tight I sometimes lose feeling in some of my fingers) but the darn thing was my "go to" jacket when the temps dipped into the teens and the snow was howling. I felt impervious in it... like Spartacus!! But it is too bulky to do anything but walk in or sit (outside) in. I think I'll be scoring a B6 or D1 sometime this year for less extreme weather. Most of my leather I buy for style the Irvin is now more for comfort. Thanks again Spitty!

Worf

A true pleasure, Worf. Hope it got plenty of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld