Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AFI's latest top ten list - classic genres

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
http://www.afi.com/10top10/

Typically, they mostly just rounded up the usual suspects, but there are some offbeat (and a few WTH?!?) choices too.

As usual, the best thing about this is that publishing the list - and the inevitable TV special - may introduce a lot of folks to great films that they never even heard of...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My husband sent me the list this morning. It's interesting to say the least. I'm extremely happy to see Snow White at the top of the Animation list.
I really would reorder the Western list. And I was amused by the Fantasy list. It took me a minute to figure out why It's a Wonderful Life was there! :eusa_doh: :eek:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I watched that show on TV last night, and while I didn't agree with all the picks, was pleased to see that "old" films were in the top five of just about every category.

With the wealth of accumulated knowledge, the remarkable technological advances in cameras, special effects, sound, editing, etc., it is interesting that so many films made 60 or 70 (or more) years ago are still considered "the best". This just goes to prove that "new is not always better".

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wonder about some of the categories themselves. Why do sports and gangsters need their own categories?

And Cat Ballou instead of The Magnificent Seven? [huh]

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Rather dissapointed by the epic list, it didn't make any sense at all. Good overall, though.

I read through the 100 Greatest Movie Quotes, Casablanca has more than any other (6). I think the runner up was The Wizard of Oz with 3.

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
I was really annoyed by some of the choices, and the fact that they left out so many other greats, especially in the sports and epic lists, however, i did agree with some of them.
I also never cosidered titanic an epic, even though it pretty much is, instead I have always considered it a romance/love story. Also in the ganster list I thought the Untouchables would at least make the list, but I did like every movie on that list.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
hmm..."Gangster" is now a genre...talk about reaching...
i wonder how much FFC paid afi to list his 2 most famous films...
and they have the gall to put james cagney below the top 3...
and list 'white heat' before 'public enemy'...

anon`

One Too Many
I generally like AFI's movie lists, just because they provide a convenient platform for shopping ;)

But I often disagree with their opinion, as well. It also irks me that they limit themselves to American films (seriously, All Quiet on the Western Front makes the "Epic" list, but Das Boot doesn't, while the fatally-flawed Terminator 2 is in the "Sci-Fi" list, but Metropolis isn't).

I'm going to go now, and be slightly annoyed that they apparently didn't include a category worthy of Casablanca.

Bugsy

One Too Many
anon` said:
I generally like AFI's movie lists, just because they provide a convenient platform for shopping ;)

But I often disagree with their opinion, as well. It also irks me that they limit themselves to American films (seriously, All Quiet on the Western Front makes the "Epic" list, but Das Boot doesn't, while the fatally-flawed Terminator 2 is in the "Sci-Fi" list, but Metropolis isn't).

I'm going to go now, and be slightly annoyed that they apparently didn't include a category worthy of Casablanca.

You may have a point, but it is the American Film Institute. It's PR I think.

anon`

One Too Many
Bugsy said:
You may have a point, but it is the American Film Institute. It's PR I think.
Oh, yeah, that's exactly the reason. I just feel that it does a disservice to cinema in general by limiting itself that way.

It's also a pretty mushy standard. I can only assume that "American" means "bankrolled by an American film studio". After all, very little (if any at all?) of The Fellowship of the Ring was done in the US.

But, such is the way of things. Otherwise, movie stores in the US wouldn't be able to have an aisle marked "Foreign" ;)

Doh!

One Too Many
Where was the Horror category?

And Shrek on the Animation list but not The Incredibles or Little Mermaid?

Still, it was fun to watch.

Doh!

One Too Many
Musicals would've been nice to see as well.

And is "Epic" even a genre? It seems more like a description to me. Like, the "Top Ten Black-and-White Talkies" or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld