Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene Steerhide - when one is just never enough....

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Here's a real nitpicky question for you dan_t. Do you feel the shoulder seams are over the line where your shoulder ends and the arm begins? I am guessing they might be made to be a bit wider than a typical shirt where the seams sit right at the turning point. I am having a bit of trouble with this myself right now and was wondering how your jacket fit in this detail since it looks so nice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Not to answer the question kronos77 asked of dan_t, but I believe I recall Denny at Aero telling me that the shoulder gussets added just a bit to the shoulders over that of a plain back as I was finalizing my order. I think that the shoulder gussets are applicable particularly to people who ride, which I am pretty sure Dan does. In any case, the pictures in this thread seems to illustrate an outstanding fit regardless of any other consideration.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
That's a killer jacket and fits you so well! Oh and you take great pictures too! I had the same questions re: shoulder gussets vs. non-gussets, so thanks for the answer. I have an Aero Fontana CR with shoulder gussets, this will help in what direction I go if I decide on another Aero CR-style purchase.

dan_t

Practically Family
Hi guys,

If I lay the two jackets up on top of each other, the outer shoulder seams line up almost perfectly.
The 'inner' seams (the expansion parts) are of course on the inside.
I would suggest that whether you have the shoulder gussets or not, the outer shoulder seams are essentially in the same place.
If you would like pics to illustrate this, just let me know..

Cheers,
Dan

dan_t

Practically Family
Here's a couple of pics.
Have a look at where the outer seam sits on my shoulder. It may be just slightly broader, but only by a fraction. It's an old pic that was taken when the FQHH (brown) jacket was only a few days old. It has relaxed somewhat since & sits a little lower on the shoulder.

Aero%20Sheene%2044%20of%2054-22_zpsm27d4gkw.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%2020%20of%2027-7_zpsgktd6eba.jpg

Last edited:

eric55

New in Town
Gorgeous jacket, im looking to get my first Aero jacket excuse my ignorance but i see nothing on aero's website about a Sheene model jacket, does aero call the jacket called something else just the slang on here is to call it Sheene?

dan_t

Practically Family
Hi eric55, the 'Sheene' is essentially a cafe racer with a highwayman collar.
It is a design sold via the US based Thurston Bros business, but can also be specified direct through Aero.
I'm pretty certain this jacket came via the Thurston Bros business originally.

Some have found that using the board racer as a base design & adding the collar, provides a better shape for their body. Each to their own I guess.

Oh, & welcome to the lounge!
Dan

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Gorgeous jacket, im looking to get my first Aero jacket excuse my ignorance but i see nothing on aero's website about a Sheene model jacket, does aero call the jacket called something else just the slang on here is to call it Sheene?
I'm not sure where the term "Sheene" originated, although a Sheene is made from a Cafe Racer pattern with a Highwayman collar. If you contact Aero and request a Sheene, they will know exactly what you want.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Live and learn something new every day. I thought the Sheene likely did originate from Thurston Bros. but didn't realize until now that Carrie was the one to actually name the jacket herself. Although the Highwayman seems to be regarded as the most well known of all of the Aero jackets, the Sheene might well give the Highwayman a run for its money before all is said and done. Good move Carrie!

eric55

New in Town
Thanks alot for the clarification is there any benefit ordering direct from Areo over Thurston Bros. or visa versa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld