Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero liner & raw denim bleed

Horseoak

Familiar Face
I’ve worn my Highwayman only a handful of times and I’ve discovered my raw denim jeans are bleeding indigo into the tweed liner of the jacket and I wanted to reach out. My denim stable consists of 21.5 & 22oz superheavyweight denim - when new my hands turn blue by the time I get to the top button.

At first I wasn't happy about this. The jacket went 10-15 years with no major staining to the liner and after 4 wears by me the lower portion of the liner, around my waist area, has been dyed an electric blue. Nothing to do now except some thinking for the long term:

After giving more thought I’ve come to embrace the change with positivity. I have a passion for horsehide leather and raw denim made with real indigo, so I won’t be modifying my wardrobe. I'll go forward and continue to wear my denim and leather in good health and let the stain darken with time.

Picture to come shortly.

I wanted to open it up to see if anyone else has experienced this and what you’ve done. My plan of action is too keep wearing & enjoying the jacket, but with any future purchases be more mindful of the liner’s color.

Last edited:
Man give those jeans a soak...I noticed this bleed (perhaps not as severe) with my IH 21's....the Unbranded 21's bleed like a stuck pig so I soaked them straight out of the bag...

Horseoak

Familiar Face
Man give those jeans a soak...I noticed this bleed (perhaps not as severe) with my IH 21's....the Unbranded 21's bleed like a stuck pig so I soaked them straight out of the bag...
You guys know your stuff - I wore a new pair of jeans with the jacket the other day and they did some damage. After discovery I put the jeans in the wash..

Prior to the jacket I'd go 6 months before my first soak. I may have to change my regiment.

Last edited:
You guys know your stuff - I wore a new pair of jeans with the jacket the other day and they did some damage. After discovery I put the jeans in the wash..

Prior to the jacket I'd go 6 months before my first soak. Looks like I have to change my regiment.
You'll still get the nice fades.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I only wear Iron Heart jeans and i have never had indigo bleed on anything.
I do however pre soak every pair before i wear them.

Maybe consider doing a pre soak.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Come on man. We’re talking jeans and leather jackets here. Raw denim will bleed, jackets will crease and acquire patina. The liner in your leather jacket has had indigo stains from your raw denim. I thought signs of wear and tear was a big USP in both raw denim and leather respectively? I honestly don’t see the problem.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had some bleed from a pair 21oz-ers on the inside of my D-1. I used a bit Vanish stain remover carefully dabbed it off. No harm done, but those jeans were relegated to being worn with short jackets only.

Horseoak

Familiar Face
Come on man. We’re talking jeans and leather jackets here. Raw denim will bleed, jackets will crease and acquire patina. The liner in your leather jacket has had indigo stains from your raw denim. I thought signs of wear and tear was a big USP in both raw denim and leather respectively? I honestly don’t see the problem.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
That's my original gut feeling too. Let it ride. Cheers

VestCoast

A-List Customer
I only wear Iron Heart jeans and i have never had indigo bleed on anything.
I do however pre soak every pair before i wear them.

Maybe consider doing a pre soak.

I've been wearing my IH 634s in their 14oz denim with my Aero Sheene and have noticed a decent amount of bleed onto the liner of Sheene. I pre-soaked the pair too so I'm curious how you've avoided bleed. Maybe the sateen just likes indigo. I love the bleed personally, gives the jacket a lot more character in my opinion. Kind of like a reverse fade.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing my IH 634s in their 14oz denim with my Aero Sheene and have noticed a decent amount of bleed onto the liner of Sheene. I pre-soaked the pair too so I'm curious how you've avoided bleed. Maybe the sateen just likes indigo. I love the bleed personally, gives the jacket a lot more character in my opinion. Kind of like a reverse fade.

I don't know, i even have a pair of the 634s in the 14oz denim, never had a bleed problem.
I usually just soak for 30 min in lukewarm water, and agitate by hand until all yellow crap is gone.

Doing that i have never had blue hands or blue legs, or left blue on something i sat on (other than my belt and wallet), and i have every denim thickness IH makes.

Edit: now that i think about it, i don't have many jackets with a light lining, that probably is why.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Never soaked before but perhaps i’ll start. I don’t mind bleed on my boots and wouldn’t on my jacket but on your hands gets old after a bit. I also favor blue liners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun