Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Clothing trial update

IXL

One Too Many
Furthermore, I plead with those who are from California, live in California, lived in California, have visited California, want to visit California, have a favorite Aunt Tilly in California, or otherwise feel any kinship, attachment, or vague familiarity with California, to please forgive my juvenile and feeble attempt at humor.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, Big J, you've literally just reminded me that this was demonstrated for a single year. A forensic accountant for the prosecution showed that in the period 2009/10, even though enough materials for 1,286 HH jackets were purchased, 1,660 were apparently sold.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Actually, Big J, you've literally just reminded me that this was demonstrated for a single year. A forensic accountant for the prosecution showed that in the period 2009/10, even though enough materials for 1,286 HH jackets were purchased, 1,660 were apparently sold.

That should wake up Big J.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

I wonder if any hides were left over from the previous year to account for the discrepancy? Or if hides were mixed as I think I recall wdw saying that his return storse HWM was a mixture of HH and steer?

pawineguy

One Too Many
I wonder if any hides were left over from the previous year to account for the discrepancy? Or if hides were mixed as I think I recall wdw saying that his return storse HWM was a mixture of HH and steer?

That's certainly the challenge, they would have to know beginning and ending inventories also, but you would think a forensic accountant would certainly be adjusting for that.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's certainly the challenge, they would have to know beginning and ending inventories also, but you would think a forensic accountant would certainly be adjusting for that.

True, and undoubtedly inventories and sales fore and aft, but we've seen from the testimony that the place was pure chaos and, when you're dealing with piles of heavy material, it's going to be difficult. Nothing abets this kind of chicanery like chaos.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vespizzare is a good and helpful guy. I'm sure he was just unaware of the general agreement to not post in Sloan's trial thread. When he becomes cognizant of this, I sure hope he doesn't fall on his sword or something; he's from California, you know.......

I'll second that. He undoubtedly hadn't looked at the forum for a few days and wasn't aware of developments. Could have happened to anyone. He's always been a decent sort.

Otter

One Too Many
I am now strongly suspecting that my Hercules bought on fleabay around 2006 / 2007 came from this source. Steerhide test piece in a non standard hide with a mouton collar. Just as well I don't own it anymore, I don't think I could have faced wearing it again.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Interesting how people are reacting to their own jackets as the trial details emerge.

True, and undoubtedly inventories and sales fore and aft, but we've seen from the testimony that the place was pure chaos and, when you're dealing with piles of heavy material, it's going to be difficult. Nothing abets this kind of chicanery like chaos.

This is a very good point.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I am now strongly suspecting that my Hercules bought on fleabay around 2006 / 2007 came from this source. Steerhide test piece in a non standard hide with a mouton collar. Just as well I don't own it anymore, I don't think I could have faced wearing it again.

Why? Because it might have been labeled as something else and it might have been CXL steer? Chromexcel steer is a very good leather BTW. I’ve got shoes made from it and a jacket made of lighter weight CXL steer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I suspect Otter's remark was made to a great degree tongue in cheek. Nothing wrong with CXL steer as long as it's labeled appropriately.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I have two A-2s from the period in question.
I don't worry about it. I've worn the hell out of both of them and they look great, and besides, they're MY jackets now.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Capes, I believe it's not about the hide (Otter knew it was steer) but about the source.

Okay, fair enough. I misunderstood him. I’ve owned very old leather jackets that for all I know someone stole years ago, or maybe were even killed wearing. Jackets are inanimate, they have no morality.

Don't hate it on the jackets! Horse or storse, people were still getting top quality jackets workmanship wise, as that's something nobody could've messed with. I mean, it's not like WL moved the production to some middle eastern sweatshop, right? Right?

Otter

One Too Many
Just to clarify, bought new as a very good deal and knew it was steer, but I now suspect the source. I don't like to think I benefited out of this, I thought I was in the clear as I had not realised the whole business went back so far. I moved it along about a year back as I wasn't wearing it much.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
We been all over this before when the storse scandal broke;
The jackets were well made.
Most customers couldn't tell.
Many original A-2s that people thought were horse, we're steer.
But the fact is, people didn't get what they paid for due to deliberate deception by WL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe