Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman or Half Belt in Steerhide?

South

One of the Regulars
Anyone have a Highwayman or Half Belt in steerhide? What are you thoughts on it. Does anyone have pictures of one in steerhide?

By the way, what's the difference in steerhide and regular cowhide? Is it stronger/thicker?

Thanks.

Peacoat

Bartender
Steerhide and cowhide are the same. They both come from bovines. Technically a steer is a neutered bull and a cow is the female of the species. The term steerhide is used as a marketing tool to make the hide sound tougher more masculine. At slaughter and tanning, no such distinction is made.

Aero cowhide is an excellent top quality hide. Both cow and horse are chrome tanned (although some of Aero's hides are vegetable tanned), and both are indistinguishable from each other when new. The horse will break in a little differently than the cow after it receives some wear.

Being chrome tanned, the cowhide will have excellent water resistant properties, and will be tough enough to handle any situation you might get it into.

Peacoat

Bartender
Here is a pic of my Highwayman in cowhide after being broken in and worn for a year or so.

Highwaymansideseam004.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Cordovan.

My next Aero will be the brown, but I keep getting sidetracked with other jackets. I have already bought three by other manufacturers this year, and really can't justify another Aero for a while. Also my wife would shoot me if another one walked in the door.

What I have learned to do is have them shipped to the office. There I unwrap and discard the shipping materials. Then I put the jacket in the trunk of my car, and get it into the closet when she isn't around. Eventually she will notice the pile of leather in my closet has reached monumental proportions, but so far I am undiscovered. I am sure I'm not the only Lounger who employs this, or a similar, strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe