Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero FQHH vs Vintage FQHH

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Lenny, I am curious; just how far off are your sleeve and body length measurements? Any pictures you might wish to share with us? If your Highwayman is close to perfect, with only minor tweaks to make it perfect, you might find that a trade in of your four-year-old Highwayman might result in a new and improved Highwayman that not only is less perfect than what you traded in but also has to be broken in again, all at great cost to you. :Cry:

I hear ya Fanch.
And I do agree with you.
It's pretty darn near perfect fit wise.
I could just use another inch in the length and arms though.
I'd also love a smooth lining in the sleeves to make it easier to put on and off.
Sorry, I had a moment of insanity.
I'm gonna take your advice and keep it.
Thanks Fanch.
You're a wiser man than I.
Lenny

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I know. Wait til Van and others post up. I need some updated pics of mine too.

Well, I was hoping that others might have chimed in by now. I would be interested in hearing how vintage/tumbled and regular FQHH feel right out of the box in terms of wearability when brand new, and how one breaks in over the other. Some have said that regular FQHH feels only a bit stiff initially, whereas others have said that their brand new regular FQHH jackets are almost like wearing a cardboard box. My vintage black HWM felt only a bit stiff initially but seems to be breaking in nicely after only several weeks of wear. Come on guys, let's go ... :playball:

pauleway

Practically Family
Well, I was hoping that others might have chimed in by now. I would be interested in hearing how vintage/tumbled and regular FQHH feel right out of the box in terms of wearability when brand new, and how one breaks in over the other. Some have said that regular FQHH feels only a bit stiff initially, whereas others have said that their brand new regular FQHH jackets are almost like wearing a cardboard box. My vintage black HWM felt only a bit stiff initially but seems to be breaking in nicely after only several weeks of wear. Come on guys, let's go ... :playball:

Fanch - Just got my Aero 30's HB/2-tone on Friday in vintage FQHH. It is a little stiff, but not bad at all. It's a perfect fit, I've been flyin' high all weekend! I will post some pics when I can get my daughter over w/her camera. It's my first HH jacket and I am really impressed with the hide. I was always a goatskin guy, but now I can see what the fuss is all about with the horse! Hope to get pics posted soon!

Xenophon

One of the Regulars

New member here...I ordered a Half belt deluxe in black FQHH from Aero last year, it was delivered after a 5 month waiting period. As I live alternatingly in 2 places (India and Belgium) I only started wearing it last november (wearing it in India would anyway only be possible from end of november until the end of feb, temperature-wise).

Out of the box the jacket was incredibly stiff, way beyond what I'd consider comfortable to wear. Literally had trouble flexing my arms and could just put the jacket upright by itself. After forcing myself to wear it intensively I got it to the point where it's comfortable to wear but still by no means supple. I'd guess it took about a month of daily wear to get there. I think that if you want supple you should consider another material as I don't think it will ever get to that point. Having said that, wearing it feels great, it's literally a jacket one could live in so to speak. One can't compare it with anything else. When new then stiffness wise it's almost the same as comparing a pair of soft store purchased Levi's to a 25 oz unsanforized jeans by one of the Japanese brands.

Would I order another one in FQHH? Frankly I don't think so, it's a niche product imho and most people seem to underestimate the effort it takes to get it to a 'comfortable wear' level. I know I did. My next jacket will ideally be sturdy but also drape quite a bit easier, I'm currently looking at kudu leather, but as Aero no longer carry that I'll see if Alexander leathers can get me my fix. Ideally something slim fitting and clean, '20s or '30's style. Or maybe goat, we'll see and I have time aplenty as I'm back in India until the end of this year.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Ok I am a fan of Vintage Horse because of the variations. The photos below show all the various flaws etc + some smooth parts.... sort of like an old guy like me.

These shots are a little light as it was around noon when I took them.

003_zpsdab1f38d.jpg

008_zpsa0283fc5.jpg

007_zpse769ee18.jpg

004_zpsb5647061.jpg

009_zps826e6b37.jpg

schitzo

Suspended
I'm currently looking at kudu leather, but as Aero no longer carry that I'll see if Alexander leathers can get me my fix. Ideally something slim fitting and clean, '20s or '30's style. Or maybe goat, we'll see and I have time aplenty as I'm back in India until the end of this year.

While you're at it why don't you also have a look at Alexanders Mongolian Horsehide. It looks like some real characterful hide but with more drape than the Horween stuff. I think (don't quote me please) it's 2.5oz, which might be a bit more up your street

oneterrifichog, I'll admit those are a pretty good advert for the tumbled FQHH. But for me I enjoy the break in with regular and know from personal experience that it does end up 'butter soft'. So I'm a regular guy

That's not a tumbled FQHH jacket.

Looks good Wilbur - not unlike the one I have! Mine's lost more of it's gloss due to the water/dryer sessions. I like it more and more, but need some cold weather to get it to the next level.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
That's not a tumbled FQHH jacket.

Looks good Wilbur - not unlike the one I have! Mine's lost more of it's gloss due to the water/dryer sessions. I like it more and more, but need some cold weather to get it to the next level.

Hey I am really hoping for some colder weather down here in Tennessee this year.

We will be getting colder weather soon as we take off toward Montana..but this trip is for Technical wear rather than leather. My wife and I are riding on the bike and space is going to be real tight as we are camping too. Tech gear allows for various changes in weather between here and Glacier National Park then down to Sturgis...

Wilbur

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Wilbur. Having seen your HBD with mouton collar, I can verify the exceptional quality and feel of the jacket, one of the most user friendly jackets for cool weather that I have seen. Have a great trip to Montana. It has been a few years since we were at Glacier and Sturgis. See if you can find someone to take you for a glider ride at the small airport at Sturgis.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Hi Wilbur. Having seen your HBD with mouton collar, I can verify the exceptional quality and feel of the jacket, one of the most user friendly jackets for cool weather that I have seen. Have a great trip to Montana. It has been a few years since we were at Glacier and Sturgis. See if you can find someone to take you for a glider ride at the small airport at Sturgis.

The Vintage horse is a lot more comfortable to wear but still thick as the Regular Horse. I have both but you are right about the "user friendly" part especially for business.

I will admit though it was sort of fun to take off this super full quarter horse I have from LW in front of some clients and literally "stand it in the corner". I thought their eyes were going to pop out as I made the presentation and there was my jacket standing all by its lonesome.

By the time Joselyn and I get to Sturgis we will have roughly 3200 miles under our seats so maybe a little walking will be in order.

Wilbur

Worf

I'll Lock Up
OTH - That's a great looking jacket. If you come north you'll be able to wear it now... well mebbe not the mouton collar. I wore my A-1 today with a T-shirt and was comfy AND dry.

Worf

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
OTH - That's a great looking jacket. If you come north you'll be able to wear it now... well mebbe not the mouton collar. I wore my A-1 today with a T-shirt and was comfy AND dry.

Worf

Couple of more months and we should be good for at least an A-2. I'm thinking a little bit into November for the good stuff down here...

I thought y'all were having a heat wave up there right now.

But any excuse will do though, a good breeze that's almost enough for goat.....

Wilbur

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah the heatwave broke about a two Saturday's ago, but it was still too warm until this Sunday... cool and rainy. Trusty A1 to the rescue!!! I should keep my mouth shut though because qucker than you can say Jack Johnson I'll be sporting my pre-war Irvin and choppin' ice off the car! OTH enjoy man... lookin' good!!!

Worf

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Yeah the heatwave broke about a two Saturday's ago, but it was still too warm until this Sunday... cool and rainy. Trusty A1 to the rescue!!! I should keep my mouth shut though because qucker than you can say Jack Johnson I'll be sporting my pre-war Irvin and choppin' ice off the car! OTH enjoy man... lookin' good!!!

Worf

Jack Johnson was the Man!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
We had a reprieve from N Texas heat for much of July, including over the weekend, but gradually working up to triple digits again this week. Without fail, August is just brutal here, with no break until the week after Labor Day, and occasionally October. :eeek:

Windward

Practically Family
Oh, I know. Wait til Van and others post up. I need some updated pics of mine too.

V I N T A G E - Brown FQHH - BTW: Its the AERO Windward :D - much grainier from the beginning and looks different depends on the light . . . sometimes like milk chocolate and sometimes like rusty caramel ... so now I need some dark chocolate! - but not brave enough to wear this jacket right now - 32 C / 90 F :eeek:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe