Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bomber Jacket: FQHH or mid-weight?

STI

New in Town
Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a bomber-style jacket from Aero, and I am having trouble deciding on the leather type. I have read through the opinions about the performance and durability of the different options, and these have been very helpful. But I'd also be curious what people think about how different leathers work with different styles. My inclination is to choose the mid-weight, since it seems softer and more comfortable. I don't need the jacket for heavy use, and I'm not that worried that I might sacrifice performance. Neither am I worried about not being true to the history. I just want it to look good and be comfortable. My sense is that most people here seem to prefer the HH for these style jackets. Is HH just a better look with a bomber style? I saw some pictures of a highwayman in mid-weight HH, which looked great. But perhaps it would not look so good with a bomber. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

STI

Papa M

A-List Customer
STI said:
I am thinking of buying a bomber-style jacket from Aero, and I am having trouble deciding on the leather type.

Hi STI - When you say Bomber-style have you decided which jacket you want - there are so many?

Personally I would suggest that you should go mid-weight horse, steer or goat. FQHH is really stiff and heavy and whilst it does age well it sure takes some time before it reaches a "comfortable" stage.

Personally I love the texture of goat.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have heard that the "vintage" FQHH is fantastic as well - just as thick, but softer and more pliable.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Hey STI, welcome. Your Aero bomber wont look any better in HH than Steer or vice-versa. So if you don't need your jacket to be HH why pay the premium?

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I have a mid-weight vintage brown Highwayman. It feels pretty heavy and I personally like the fact that it isn't too stiff.

DSC01314.JPG

DSC01313.JPG

STI

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. Good tips already. Perhaps I should clarify. I am interested in this bomber jacket, which I believe is a variation on the A2 theme:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/5892718

Goatskin is, unfortunately, not an option, since I want to get it in black. So the mid-weight seems like the right choice. But why do most people seem to like the HH for these (A2) jackets? To put it bluntly, would a bomber in mid-weight seem wimpy? I do see a lot of guys walking around in wimpy-looking jackets (lambskin, fake-leather, etc.) and this is not what I want. Are military styles better in heavier leather?

I think nicolasb's jacket looks great. Thanks for posting the pictures. It helps me to think about this.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
The standard replica A2 leather from Aero is the mid weight HH, with the heavier FQHH being used on their fashion jackets, and the bomber you posted the link to. I don't know if they offer a mid weight in black. I had a standard Aero A2 for a while, and it is a very good quality leather, certainly thicker and more durable than your standard USA (made in China) mall jacket. I also own a FQHH that I wear all the time. I have a halfbelt on order, but ordered it in the mid weight A2 HH leather instead of the FQHH, because I wanted a lighter jacket (and I prefer the seal brown color over the FQHH standard brown). My FQHH jacket is the barnstormer, and I love it, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I would seriously consider using the mid weight A2 HH.
The mid weight is a great leather, I don't think you will be disappointed by it.

Peacoat

Bartender
The original A-2s were made from a medium weight (around 3 oz.) horsehide. That's what John Chapman uses in his A-2s, if that tells you anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe