Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero B-15

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe, but they're not anxious to answer questions about it. I wrote Amanda, their customer service gal, about whether the "dark green gabardine" was cotton or wool. No response. AAMOF, I think I asked twice.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I know that more than once I had emailed Amanda and after no response emailed her again only to find that for some reason she had never received my initial email.

As far as B-15's I have one from Alpha that I use as a packable winter coat when I fly up north in small planes. It has been though hell and back and hardly shows any wear. So if your simply interested in a tough milspec jacket I would just get something from one of the mass manufacturers. If your interested in the period correct jacket, I cant see how a half price aero wouldnt be worth it.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For £100 the Aero B-15 appears to be good value. However, comparing it with my ELC B-15 it does not appear to be such an accurate repro. I would save your money and get one from ELC.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, guys. I'm not concerned about lack of military accuracy - I eventually plan to pick up an ELC B-10 on that score. (From what I can determine, the ELC military cloth jackts are generally a notch up from Aero in terms of accuracy). The Aero is attractive as a civilian alternative to leather, for casual wear on those winter days when the B3 is too much. I'll have to have a look into whether they have my size left.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Just an observation, but for a little more than 100GBP I would expect to purchase a later series (B-15C or D) military original. You'd need to be an odd size or want a cotton version badly to pay what repro manufacturers are asking (usually around 300GBP).

I know - I bought a Buzz Rickson B-15B and almost immediately found an original B-15C in very good condition. A slightly different design to the B-15B (I actually prefer the C) but there is nothing like an original. Just my opinion.

Edward

Bartender
Ah, now there's where it all gets complicated.... I do actually prefer the earlier cotton jackets by a long way. Irrational as it might be, while I like the repros of military jackets, owning an original has never been something I've especially aspired to (unless a tidy one came my way much cheaper then the repro, I suppose). [huh] Having second thoughts about the Aero though, for the simple reason that I hadn't really considered a B-15 before I saw them at such a good price, so maybe I'd be better holding off. At least until they do a civilian version in a blue, maybe.... :rolleyes: Nevertheless, great to have the feedback from everyone above should plans change. :)

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have to tell you that the B-15 design is one of my absolute favorites, and not because of how it looks, but because it is so functional. Im not sure about the cotton, but the nylon version I have can be worn in rain, sleet, snow. It resists wind, stains, tears, its very warm, and can be balled up and stored somewhere small. All of that, and its light weight too.

Now, Im not sure Id treat an original like this, but I just figured I'd throw my opinion in since you said that you had never considered a B-15 before.

Edward

Bartender
It's good to hear the later, nylon models are so durable; when i hear 'nylon,' I inevitably think of the lighter anoraks I had as a child, which certainly didn't tend to be quite that durable. I've given this a lot of thought and, despite the good deal, I decided that I really wouldn't have bought the B15 in place of the B10, and couldn't justify both. But that said, from what you say it sounds as if the later model B15s are worth keeping an eye out for at a good price, and a post '57(?) style one in blue could be justifiable at the right price.... (I'm desperately trying not to get sucked into collecting jackets. I already have more than I, strictly speaking, need, but so long as they're all a bit different to the rest of my wardrobe, I can deal with that! ;) ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe