Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 25 year old Highwayman

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sure sorry to hear this. I know my postal lady so there's never any question when I sign for a package who it is. Hope your jacket turns up - you're right, aside from feeling bad for your loss, I feel bad for your Highwayman! :(

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I hope you follow up with the police, otherwise it will happen again next time to real valuable jacket, you better warn the people at the post office too not to give your parcel to any other person than you, and safe the screen of the video to check with your building management if she is a cleaning lady or something.

dan_t

Practically Family
Thanks again for all of the support.
I am happy to let this thread now close out, although I thought that I would actually upload a couple of pictures of the jacket - for my local Australian friends.

If you see this jacket, or one that looks similar on any of the usual buy / sell sites in the coming weeks or months, please do let me know. I am sure that the police would like to talk to the seller.....

Aero%20Highwayman%201_zpss9v1emg7.jpg

Aero%20Highwayman%202_zpsf3ulmrdj.jpg
Aero%20Highwayman%203_zpsxo46fqr2.jpg
Aero%20Highwayman%204_zpsgsmlinic.jpg
Aero%20Highwayman%205_zpsde9fqscl.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just opened a new folder with your pics downloaded into it to save in my computer. If I see this advertised for sale, I'll alert you immediately. IMO the person at your post office was negligent in giving the person with the calling card left in your mailbox your package without proper identification. Again, my sympathy for the loss of your eagerly anticipated HWM.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a quick look on gumtree and eBay au with no luck. My guess is it will end up in a cash converters near you?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
What a beautiful jacket! Sure do hope you are able to turn this one up and I'll also keep my eyes and ears open on ebay, etc!

bwchase

Familiar Face
I just found out today my new to me Aero LHB is now declared lost in shipping.
Was an eBay purchase, missing after customs.
Same effect as original poster, order, pay, await arrival, no jacket.
Don't understand how a package like that gets lost.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh man, sorry to hear that [emoji45]
What happens next for you? Does eBay or the postage company compensate you?

bwchase

Familiar Face
Hope so, Ebay is supposed to make me whole. Not sure how the customs company (Pitney Bowles) reimburses, will know more later in the week. It is like they charge two postages and customs together.
Also don't know what the seller receives, he was helpful.
Have heard of occasional problems getting shipments from Europe through customs, have been ok in the past.
No problem with Australia, Ecuador, Canada or Asia.
Really wanted that LHB in black!
Was going to purchase another jacket from Europe, but will wait until see how this comes out.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I suspect the mailman after knowing the house is empty, rather than leaving the ticket, he gave it to someone else (his accomplice) to collect it, I bet they already mark the packages and know exactly what inside, it is nearly impossible for some stranger to go that far trying to fish the ticket with something out of your mailbox, and then go to the post office to collect a mystery box , that can be a box of battery, or razor cartridges... who would do that.

I'm sure this is planned and they have eyes inside the post office or custom office who x-ray the packages

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hope so, Ebay is supposed to make me whole. Not sure how the customs company (Pitney Bowles) reimburses, will know more later in the week. It is like they charge two postages and customs together.
Have heard of occasional problems getting shipments from Europe through customs, have been ok in the past.
No problem with Australia, Ecuador, Canada or Asia.
Really wanted that LHB in black!
Was going to purchase another jacket from Europe, but will wait until see how this comes out.
I'm in the USA. I've had things bought internationally through eBay, occasionally take ridiculously long to arrive. On one occasion it was declared lost, and I got my money back through buyer protection. Seller kept their money as far as I know, because the tracking information showed they had shipped. This is what insurance is for. In my case it was only about $60, so not a huge loss. Almost 3 months later it arrived on my doorstep, completely surprising me. So unless there's proof that someone else picked it up, as with dan_t's case, there's a small hope for a lucky break.

bwchase

Familiar Face
eBay was quick to refund after a week longer wait to see if it showed up.
Good guarantee.
Now need to find another jacket.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

I've bought four things internationally where the only option was that eBay shipping programme. Three of them disappeared at some point on the journey, maybe I've just been unlucky. I saw one of the items pop back up on eBay from a different seller a week or so after it went 'missing'. I now generally don't bid on things if that's the only postage option. I did get a full refund in each case, even though it did take about four or five weeks for the refund to come through.

Similarly I posted a tracked item I'd sold to Mexico, made sure it was tracked and insured. Once it arrived in Mexico it went back and forth between two places, then stopped. The buyer contacted me about where his item was, I contacted the post office who started to investigate, then the buyer started a claim with eBay who refunded him. Then, three weeks later I get a response from the post office to say the package has now been delivered to the seller 'sorry for the delay'. Checked the tracking and indeed it had been. Contacted eBay and they weren't interested. So I'm out the jacket and the cost of posting it and the buyer gets a free jacket. Sometimes you can't win.

To the buyer above who got a jacket in similar circumstances without having to pay, its not eBay who refunded you money, it will be your seller. That's how it works.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that what just happened to Dan and others is why I am loath to buy or sell outside the US, with the exception of buying from a well established overseas company who can replace something that goes missing. That being said, domestic theft here can and does occur, and has happened to me on one occasion when my postman left a box on my front door step without signature. There are also crooks here that follow UPS trucks as they leave boxes at the front door, and some have even been apprehended because of video feeds. It will be interesting to see if eventually Dan's HWM turns up since it is not replaceable, at least to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe