Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930s slim half belt versus the bootlegger??? help

miami1959

Familiar Face
Good point gtdean48. You guys all make valid points . This has been a tough decision. I can not believe I have stressed myself so much about buying a jacket. Maybe I will sell the HWM and get a 1930s halfbelt and a bootlegger. I am after all torn between these 2 jackets . I have some serious thinking to do. Thanks for the help guys.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Good point gtdean48. You guys all make valid points . This has been a tough decision. I can not believe I have stressed myself so much about buying a jacket. Maybe I will sell the HWM and get a 1930s halfbelt and a bootlegger. I am after all torn between these 2 jackets . I have some serious thinking to do. Thanks for the help guys.

If you really like the 30's half-belt and want something different you can order a button front 30's Half-Belt. They're know as the Maxwell and Insurrection has them.

The 30's HB and Highwayman are very different jackets so I agree you need to decide what to do with your Highwayman. I'd keep it personally if I didn't need the money.

If you're dead set on a zipper and only one jacket I'd have to recommend the 30's HB. If you're open to a couple jackets in the closet then the bootlegger. I personally think the bootlegger looks great with a suit/tie. I've seen old Sears catalogs with this look and it's very sharp. The small collar on the bootlegger really works when it's zipped up.

miami1959

Familiar Face
wow cool look Sloan. seems to have tapered sleeves lika a 1930s halfbelt. the button cuffs as well.??? wow such tough decisions. aero makes some nice stuff!!! thanks for the pic

miami1959

Familiar Face
I wanted to thank everyone for all the input on selectiing my next jacket. A special thanks to Hoosierdaddy . Hoosierdaddy your post have been super helpful to me over the years long before I became a member here at this forum. I have decided to sell my Brown heavy FQHH HWM and purchase a Brown FQHH 1930s halfbelt from Insurrection. I will be purchasing the halfbelt imediately and am planning on a Bootlegger in the VERY near future. You guys have helped me realize that there is no one jacket solution. Having said that I am going to buy the 2 jackets that interest me the most..( Bootlegger and the 1930s Halfbelt) I guess I will post my HWM for sale on Ebay and here on Fedora Lounge as well .Thanks again guys.

Edward

Bartender
I have both a Bootlegger and a 30s Halfbelt, the former in cordovan, the latter in crown. You really can't go wrong with either design. I regularly wear both with a collar and tie, and they both look great. A favourite look of mine is the Bootlegger with a waistcoat over collar and tie underneath; it has something of the Howard Hughes vibe to it to my eye.

The Bootlegger comes as standard with the same cuff design as the Highwayman, though I had mine ordered up custom with the button-cuffs from the 30s halfbelt design. The Bootlegger is essentially a Fifties Halfbelt with an off-centre, lancer-front. As such, it's just a little bit more roomy a fit than the Thirties Halfbelt. Enough that I can comfortably accomodate a waistcoat with mine, whereas the Halfbelt would not close over a waistcoat (well.... this side of shifting that extra fifty pounds I need to lose...). I wear both of these jackets a lot, much more so than any of my military designs.

I see, of course, you have already hit on the correct answer: buy both. Go for different colours, of course.... I highly recommend cordovan for the bootlegger, and brown Horween fqhh looks outstanding in the 30s Halfbelt design. Then start thinknig about your next halfbelt variant, in black FQHH. After that, a lighter hide for the Summer....

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thank you for the insight Edward. And handymike yes I will post pics when I get the jacket. I just listed my Highwayman for sale here. I hope I did it correctly. I just posted a thread in the classified section here. I do not want to violate any rules so someone correct me if I am wrong. I am going to call Insurrection leathers now to order the halfbelt. I am already feeeling bad about selling my HWM and it is not even gone yet lol. Thanks again guys can not wait to get the halfbelt..or bootlegger or .....

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, this may or may not be helpful advice but why not buy the one you are tending to mostly lean to and then look out for the other one on Aero's sale page, ebay etc? However, I would definitely hang onto the Highwayman, such a classic.

Mark

miami1959

Familiar Face
yes mark....letting go of the Highwayman is a tough decision. After I get my halfbelt then I will keep an eye out for something on ebay etc. Your idea is helpful

Thanks for the compliments miami1959. My suggestion is to go through Insurrection and get your correct size on both jackets. Since they will send a try on jacket..to me..that is a valuable option to pin down desired sleeve and body length. You know the styles you want so now getting the correct fit is of major importance. Spending the 'new jacket' price is worth it to me to assure a happy fit with a jacket you are always anxious to wear.
HD

miami1959

Familiar Face
Thanks HD. Good point about the fitting. I was on the phone with Wade (Insurrection) today and still have not decided on which jacket to get first. I have made up my mind to go new on both jackets. I will post pics when the new jacket arrives.

miami1959

Familiar Face
The shoulder fit seems to be ok. I do agree with Sloan....it is too short for my taste. On a side note....I am looking forward to getting a 1930s half belt "fit jacket" from Insurrection. I have never tried one on. I understand they fit rather snug. I will see how it goes. I may buy the Bootlegger first instead. The good folks at Insurrection told me they use the halfbelt as a fit jacket for the Bootlegger and even a Highwayman. With their experience they are able to make size adjustments accordingly. I am hearing good things about them and Wade has been very accomodating and patiient with all my stupid questions. I am at work now but they are on the West coast(3 hours earlier). I hope to talk to Wade later this afternoon and pull the trigger on my next purchase.Thanks again for everyones advice and opinions on jackets. You guys here at Fedora lounge have been my classroom for info on Aero jackets.

miami1959

Familiar Face
I wanted to thank HD again for all the insight and for posting the pics of his Bootlegger. I have seen some nice pics of 30s halbelts here as well. If there is anyone else who has Bootlgger or 30s halfbelt pics to post I would greatly appreciate it. I promise to post pics of my new jacket when I receive it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82