Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice for a newbie in Boston

minus_273

New in Town
I've come to really like the look of a fedora. I figure it would be a good thing to wear to work on those cold boston days without looking like a fool. I am also a total newbie with no idea where to begin. Any advice? does anyone know where in Boston you can get decent hats? any good "beginner" hats (price, maintenance wise).

I've lurked enough here to know i should steer clear of the trash you find in stores. There have to be some Bostonians on this forum, where do you get your stuff?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
minus_273 said:
I've come to really like the look of a fedora. I figure it would be a good thing to wear to work on those cold boston days without looking like a fool. I am also a total newbie with no idea where to begin. Any advice? does anyone know where in Boston you can get decent hats? any good "beginner" hats (price, maintenance wise).

I've lurked enough here to know i should steer clear of the trash you find in stores. There have to be some Bostonians on this forum, where do you get your stuff?
Please put on a hat! As you know, Boston is a pretty good hat town; there are quite a few fedora wearers out there, though mostly the Aussie outback styles.

Sadly, we are lax for hat shops. Toppers on Newbury Street has some fedoras, but they tend to be overpriced and of the mass produced variety. Perhaps you should stop by there and discover your size, then order something on-line that suits you.

If you happen to be a 7 1/2, there is a very nice vintage Borsalino at Cafe Society in Brookline, a vintage shop where I find quite a few vintage ties.

If I can be of any help, please let me know.
;)

Oh, and Aaron, who Sharpetoys mentioned, is a great guy and has a nice shop in North Conway, so the next time you are at Attatash!

Dalexs

Practically Family
Hey minus_273,

I am also in the Boston area. Like HJ said, stay away from Toppers.
You can actually get the same hats with better deals on the internet.

I haven't shopped Aarons yet, but if you ski, I believe his shop is up in the Conway area.
(oops, just like HJ said...)

If you are in the downtown area, and are looking for vintage, there is a great place called Bobbys from Boston, down on Thayer St (or what used to be Thayer st.) next to the MBTA bus garage.
He's got a ton of vintage wear, sadly, most in vintage sizes, 7 1/8 and smaller.
And of course, check out any thrift shops in the area. You never know what you'll find.

Good luck, and welcome.
(We really got to get a group meet together again guys...)

Dalexs

minus_273

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
Please put on a hat! As you know, Boston is a pretty good hat town; there are quite a few fedora wearers out there, though mostly the Aussie outback styles.

Sadly, we are lax for hat shops. Toppers on Newbury Street has some fedoras, but they tend to be overpriced and of the mass produced variety. Perhaps you should stop by there and discover your size, then order something on-line that suits you.

If you happen to be a 7 1/2, there is a very nice vintage Borsalino at Cafe Society in Brookline, a vintage shop where I find quite a few vintage ties.

;)

Oh, and Aaron, who Sharpetoys mentioned, is a great guy and has a nice shop in North Conway, so the next time you are at Attatash!

I know, I've seen a lot of people with fedoras around downtown where i used to work but could never figure out where they got them from. Given the weather here, it is strange that so many people go around with nothing on their heads or --the horrors-- wear baseball caps or woolen hats with thier over coats and trench coats. I think i saw six or seven people with baseball caps today and it looked so goofy.

I guess my first step would be finding out what my size is and then selecting a style/color..

Aaron Hats

Vendor
As the others said, come on up to North Conway, do some skiing, eating and hat shopping. We'll be more than happy to help you out.

There must be enough New Englanders on here that we should plan our own get together. Not as nice as the Queen Mary but how about a dinner cruise around Lake Winni on the Mt. Washington this summer.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, if it is sitting on a peg, lonely-like...

Hemingway Jones said:

I happen to be a 7 1/2 - do you go there often?

(he said. deftly opening a can of worms)

Until you get a good idea of your size and what sorts of lids look right on you, minus 273, you really ought to stop by a hat retailer with a wide selection and drop a few on your noggin. I've never been to Aaron Hats (it's only, oh, 3,200 miles from here) but I imagine they can help you out. The consensus here at the Lounge is that new mass-produced lids are no match for vintage ones, but that doesn't mean the new ones are all junk. Just steer clear of the wool felts and be prepared to spend something in excess of $100 (on the low end) and you should do all right. And don't worry about "looking like a fool." You couldn't possibly look as silly as those guys in dressy overcoats and baseball caps.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow! Look at what I stared!
Next time I see a hat I think you would like, I'll post a picture. I would be happy to pick it up for you.
Dalexs, did you really head over there? You should give me a call if you do.

The hat I was refering to is a Borsalino from the same gentleman who owned the one I bought and posted photos of, that I am sure you all saw. I know it's the same fellow, because the initials were the same in four or five different hats of the same size. I didn't buy it because I have four brown fedoras! And four is a lot! I am trying to get some other colors and if I were to get another brown, I would buy another Adventurebilt.

Anyway, sorry to take the thread on a detour. Let me know if you buy that hat!

And Aaron, a summit at the Mount Washington Hotel perhaps???

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Measure and shop!

Minus, there is no substitute for trying on a hat for fit and style, so if you can make it to Aaron's, that's your best bet. Otherwise, measure your head with a tape measure around the widest part of your head, above the ears, to the nearest 1/8 inch. Then you're ready to shop on line. Any site that sells hats (including Aaron's) will have a chart to convert inches to hat sizes.

On the color issue, I find browns and tans to be more versatile than grays. Also, there are some in-between colors. Stetson makes a color called "Bark" which seems to blend with almost anything. If you wear a lot of gray and blue, though, a light to medium gray is nice. Dark gray seems to be very limiting.

If you find interest in a particular hat brand or model, ask us about it. Some one here is bound to be in the know. Good luck, and happy hunting.

minus_273

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:

;)

regarding hat sizes, my fitted Sox cap is 7 1/2 (59.6 cm) does that translate to be the same thing in fedoras? What's the address of this vintage place.. i live in Somerville now. I lived on bay state rd for 4 years when i went to BU. Wished i knew about the place back then.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
minus_273 said:
regarding hat sizes, my fitted Sox cap is 7 1/2 (59.6 cm) does that translate to be the same thing in fedoras? What's the address of this vintage place.. i live in Somerville now. I lived on bay state rd for 4 years when i went to BU. Wished i knew about the place back then.
I can't help you with the conversion, but it does sound about right. My head is almost identical to yours and I wear a 7 3/8 or a 7 1/2 depending on brand.
The vintage shop is at the corner of Cyprus and Rt. 9.
;)

Dalexs

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Wow! Look at what I stared!
Next time I see a hat I think you would like, I'll post a picture. I would be happy to pick it up for you.
Dalexs, did you really head over there? You should give me a call if you do.
...And Aaron, a summit at the Mount Washington Hotel perhaps???

Nah, I never got over there. My daughter wanted to play in the snow...
But next week!

And minus_273, if your red sox cap is a fitted size, it should be just about right. For the price, the official hats are actually realistic sizes.

Keep in mind, however, that not all hats are created equal, when it comes to size.
I find some hat sizes tend to vary, depending on the maker (at least with new hats.)
For me, Stetsons run small. Biltmores run a bit big. So definately try to get fitted first or at least get get an accurate head measurement.
And use cm's for the measurement.

And I seem to remember Mt Washington hotel having an awesome breakfast buffet!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From one Bostonian to Another

Hiya Minus,
I really don't know where to get a great Fed, because I'm a lady (at least I like to think I am:) ). But, being from Boston, I just wanted to welcome you to the lounge. I am Daisy Buchanan, but you can call me Spiely. I am the roommate of Hemingway Jones, and he just informed me that there was another vintage fan from Boston on line. There are so few of us! I just wanted to say Hello
Well, Hello and Welcome
Spiely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld