Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice and opinions please... date this jacket

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
This is a jacket I picked up in a thrift store. The label inside says "Gimbels" and on the other inside label "Tailored by Palm Beach (registered trademark symbol)" "all pure wool" & "The American Way with with wool" "fabric made in the USA" I have also included photos of the labels and 3/4 lining for perusal.

2715091763_ed2c4de834.jpg

2715906600_fdcf98b995.jpg

2715091927_2f7923b3a5.jpg

2715906300_2a2851abd6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2715906462_151192a8af.jpg?v=1217387267

(BTW: I don't have a hunch back shoulder and it fits like it was tailored for me despite what the photos show. that's what happens when you put the camera on top of the tv cabinet and set the timer.)

My questions:
1) can anyone date this? I am inclined to think it might be a retro style produced after the 30's - 40's even though it resembles an earlier style.

2) I obviously can't match the fabric, so what type of pants would you suggest to go with it? (I would even consider having a matching pair of pants and vest made that were in contrast to or coordinated with the jacket. Any thoughts on this?)

3) FYI, it was originally a 2 button SB. I took it to my tailor who expertly added another button hole and put a new set of buttons on it. Also, it has the belted back and patch pockets with flaps. ( if you can't tell from the photos )

Thanks for your input!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
No union label? Maybe inside one of the pockets? Not claiming to be an expert, but from what I do know it looks like it could very likely be an early 1970s piece judging by the labels and it's construction. [huh] Also you yourself have stated that it may be a retro-look remake from a later time. Always trust your instincts. :) The resurgence of old styles in the 70s was too brief, they actually made some nice clothing then, in spite of polyester and the disco thing.
Where is Baron Kurtz when ya need him?? :eusa_doh:

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
good call Maj. Nick Danger

There is a union label inside the inside pocket. The size is 44 long, I wear a 42 long off the rack in modern sizes and this thing fits me to a "T" so I assume when ever it was made the sizing ran smaller. I don't know what the other numbers mean, any ideas? here's a couple of photos:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2715451329_578e2141d5.jpg?v=0
2716265010_2669e5a6f6.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Also, the "Woolmark", which I think I spy, didn't come into use until,
IIRC, 1964*. The "Woolmark" gives you at least an "earliest possible" date to work from, and Union labels can give you a time frame.
If you are interested in Vintage clothing, you should have a look at as many
photos of old clothing- make yourself familiar with the details, even the interior and labeling, so you know when you're in the store.

B
T

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
Great link Maj.

Thanks to all of you for the info. Judging by the examples in the thread on union labels I believe it to be late 60's as the union label is identical to the one good for up to '68.

Now, the other part of the Q, what to wear it with? and opinions, do you guys think it will pass for an older style jacket or does it say "1960's, Baby!"

btw, the color is not acurately represented in the photos, the gray is more subdued and the color pin stripes are subtle.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
As others have said, early 1970s.

C.K.Farnsworth said:
Now, the other part of the Q, what to wear it with? and opinions, do you guys think it will pass for an older style jacket or does it say "1960's, Baby!"

Quite frankly, I don't think it looks '70s at all. I have a couple similar early '70s jackets and they could easily pass for '30s and '40s. I say go vintage with it. Maybe with some darker brown trousers?

Oh, and nice jacket. I like the lapels and a belted back is always nice.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
C.K.Farnsworth said:
what type of pants would you suggest to go with it?
Colors: Grey (from mid to charcoal), Brown (from tan to chocolate) and navy blue.

Fabrics: Flannel, wool gabardine and cotton twill.

And, jeans. ;)

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I'd lean towards a brown to match, wool, as mentioned above, would work well. Your bow tie looks good with the jacket, though consider one in a solid color, as to not conflict patterns (which you didn't do, just a note). I think brown spectators would complete the look nicely.

Great find! I need to go thrifting...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I really like the fabric pattern of this jacket. Reminds me of some of the more wild ones from the 1930s. Lovely.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
I happen to have...

Mr_Misanthropy said:
I'd lean towards a brown to match, wool, as mentioned above, would work well. Your bow tie looks good with the jacket, though consider one in a solid color, as to not conflict patterns (which you didn't do, just a note). I think brown spectators would complete the look nicely.

Great find! I need to go thrifting...

A pair of brown wool pants the same weight and weave as the jacket and never would have thought. I think it works, and I have brown and white spectators as well. now for the tie, because that bow tie doesn't work AT ALL with the brown pants. I'm thinking maybe a knitted square bottom solid dark color? I also have some natural color linnen pants that are a heavier weave.

Btw: I grew up in Mo. Anyways, thanks for the good advice.

anon`

One Too Many
thunderw21 said:
Quite frankly, I don't think it looks '70s at all. I have a couple similar early '70s jackets and they could easily pass for '30s and '40s. I say go vintage with it. Maybe with some darker brown trousers?

Oh, and nice jacket. I like the lapels and a belted back is always nice.
I was thinking '39-'49 as well, until I noticed that wool-label that BT mentioned. I've recently come across at least four suits with a very similar pattern in the weave, all from that decade. Given the sheer numbers of '70s-vintage stuff I've seen that makes a darn good approximation of '40s-vintage, I'd have to say '70s, also.

I'm normally way snobby about post-'62 stuff. Not so here... I'd have snapped that one up super fast if I'd found it at a thrift store! Great find :)

(Also, I've found other sources that indicate the '49-and-later union label with the ® symbol came into use in '62 and remained so until '76. I don't have any proof of the last-used year, however, though '76 was the year that the ACWA merged with the TWA to became the ACTWU.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust