Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adult Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
The bible uses wine literally and metaphorically as a gift from God. His son Christ Jesus in his first miracle provided more wine of high quality, after the guests consumed the wine that was provided by the wedding couple. That said, Jesus openly condemned drunkards as those not inheriting the kingdom.
It is not a scriptural concept that alcoholic beverages are evil or bad. Misuse or abuse of such are really the pith of the matter.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The bible uses wine literally and metaphorically as a gift from God. His Son Christ Jesus in his first miracle provided more wine of high quality, after the guests consumed the wine that was provided by the wedding couple. That said, Jesus openly condemned drunkards as those not inheriting the kingdom.
It is not a scriptural concept that alcoholic beverages are evil or bad. Misuse or abuse of such are really the pith of the matter.

Never said otherwise, even though my church has always used plain grape juice in Communion to avoid stumbling weaker members of the congregation. "Love thy neighbor as yourself."

There was a time when "temperance" was a word everyone knew and understood. It didn't mean strict teetotalism, it meant a careful and responsible use of alcoholic drinks, it meant an occasional drink with a meal or something to cool down on a hot day. It didn't mean swilling down thirty cans of beer in one night. It didn't mean "partying." It didn't mean drinking for the sole purpose of getting yourself hammered. It didn't mean "reducing inhibitions" to the point of complete irresponsibility.

There are far too many people in the world today who have never heard the word "temperance," and who would reject it if they did.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I'm 30 & the only time I wear filp flops is when I need a pair of shower shoes.

The other day I was walking up to my local supermarket and a guy was coming towards me wearing a t-shirt, shorts and no shoes whatsoever - just ambling along with his shopping bag perusing the newspaper. The last time I saw a guy walking along the street with no shoes on was in Sydney on Oxford St where it seems to be the norm. All I could think was "Ick" - he's walking along in heaven knows what (our road has countless bird turds on it) and apart from that he's strolling into the supermarket barefoot - and you know if he stood on something in the shop and cut himself he'd be the first one looking to put in a claim. The guy was clearly trying to put over a cool chilled out personal vibe but all I could think (apart from ick!) was that he was just trying way to hard to look cool - and didn't pull it off - he just seemed deeply unhygienic.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Never said otherwise, even though my church has always used plain grape juice in Communion to avoid stumbling weaker members of the congregation. "Love thy neighbor as yourself."

There was a time when "temperance" was a word everyone knew and understood. It didn't mean strict teetotalism, it meant a careful and responsible use of alcoholic drinks, it meant an occasional drink with a meal or something to cool down on a hot day. It didn't mean swilling down thirty cans of beer in one night. It didn't mean "partying." It didn't mean drinking for the sole purpose of getting yourself hammered. It didn't mean "reducing inhibitions" to the point of complete irresponsibility.

There are far too many people in the world today who have never heard the word "temperance," and who would reject it if they did.

Drunkenness is to alcohol what fornication is to sex. The Bible does not condemn the enjoyment of either when its in accord with God given boundaries.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Funny how Lizzie cites an article urging people to drink responsibly, and ending with telling readers to "face your Correct Adult Life with dignity" as 'evidence' that young people are drinking "for the sole purpose of getting yourself hammered."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Drunkenness is to alcohol what fornication is to sex. The Bible does not condemn the enjoyment of either when its in accord with God given boundaries.

Indeed. I'm not a fundamentalist or a Bible literalist -- at all -- I'm more concerned with what's in the overall best interests of society than in a literal-minded following of scriptures -- but the comparison is valid.

This is a society smugly convinced that "boundaries" are outmoded, and then they wonder why they get hurt. If you don't want to wake up with a hangover, don't get drunk.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Lizzie, I think most here agree that fundamental values are important. That said this thread morphed into another topic. I have read a number of your threads which I have found both educational and insightful. But when it comes to alcohol as a topic imho your approach becomes repeatedly bombastic and I don't enjoy it. Your point is clearly made, as you are a skilled communicator. By now most know where you stand on the subject of alcohol.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not writing to entertain. I'm writing because I'm sick of cleaning the reeking alcoholic puke of irresponsible college kids out of the men's room at work. I'm sick of seeing kids I care about sucked into a culture where they're expected to "keep up" with their friends by getting drunk and high and stupid. The lucky ones just end up with a hangover. The unlucky ones end up far worse.

I couldn't give a damn about flipflops or cargo shorts or sloppy T-shirts. But I do give a damn what happens to kids who get sucked into a "party" culture that can do them a lot of harm. I've looked straight into the eyes of that harm this summer, and it's a sight I hope to Christ I never have to see again.

I've got a "kidult" that lives upstairs = 23.5 years old, works full time as hardware store clerk, takes college courses, undeclared as to what major, no steady girlfriend, constantly reminding him to pick up dirty clothes, make up his bed, do his laundry, etc.
Seems to be in no hurry to join the serious adult world of rent/mortgages, car payments, utility bills, etc.
My dad gave me the rules = quit or finish school or get married, whichever happens first, then get out of my house.
He did let me stay long enough to get a couple of paychecks so I could pay the electricity deposit & apartment security deposit.
My son is milking the "end of school" aspect....

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
But I do give a damn what happens to kids who get sucked into a "party" culture that can do them a lot of harm.

Considering what most people have seen online following the aftermath of the Eminem concert here in Dublin (it's all over the internet) I can honestly say I am extremely concerned about where things are heading regarding excessive alcohol consumption and drugs. I mean I have seen some sights in my time in real life and on the internet but this was just plain horrific (probably as it took place in my country). I mean, how bad do things have to get before something gives?

Three kids.Two "girls" 29 and 27 both professionals, yet totally different. They both dress appropriately for their professions - one a Physician's Assistant (PA), one a makeup artist. As you could guess, the former sports some pretty crazy hair-do's, some tattoos, and is a little crazier. But a 100% professional and hard-working mother.The other dresses as one would expect as well. No tattoos, no crazy hair.
My son, 20, lives at home. He is the fashionable one of the group being an actor and model. He also has some small tattoos (hidden) and dresses for the occasion. Work ethic like his parents - like his older sisters.
One looking from the outside may judge them all differently, but they all are great people with great work ethic and I like them all. I don't feel like they're at all the sort I see when I venture downtown or abouts.
We went to the Hollywood Bowl last night to see Itzhak Perlman. I usually dress a little more casually for that venue, but as anticipated, most there were by current standards, over-dressed. I try to take into account where I am, and who's there. But when one watches old TV/Movies like I (we) do, it's tough to see what passes for acceptable these days. in fact, while picking out Brides Maids dresses last weekend, the owner of the shop stated that she (and she's in her early 30s) was dismayed by the "dresses" that she's requested to provide/make these days. A very young and "hip" woman feels the way I do so I don't think it's just us old folks that see the lower standards...
Great thread.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Lizzie, as a full-time firefighter/emt for 18 years I have certainly seen my share of irresponsibility, addiction, and tragedy. We also must clean up our squad, uniforms, and tools after people "evacuate". I have no ax to grind nor soap box to preach from. End of my post(s) on this topic.

loosebolts

Familiar Face
i just started my first class this semester. the Adult boys outnumber the men at least 3 to 1. it burns my gears that these guys are the norm these days. one of them in my Philosophy with board shorts, flip flops and the small shirt on a body builder frame with a shaved head was getting markedly hostile. It a Philosophy class meant to debate perspective not an argument class were you roll you shoulder and flex your arms to get people to agree. i did not say two words but that move the adult boys do (spreading arms out and leaning his face toward others.) was getting very annoying while this 20 year old was barely getting in peoples faces including mine as to whether or no god exists. he was clearly a follower of a cult of personalities that occupies the TV screen call Jersey shore. i still smell Dakkar cologne on me strong enough to drown a small animal and i did not even get with in a foot of the brat.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Considering what most people have seen online following the aftermath of the Eminem concert here in Dublin (it's all over the internet) I can honestly say I am extremely concerned about where things are heading regarding excessive alcohol consumption and drugs. I mean I have seen some sights in my time in real life and on the internet but this was just plain horrific (probably as it took place in my country). I mean, how bad do things have to get before something gives?

While social media and the internet have expanded both what people see and how many people see it, I find no reason to believe that there's an actual measurable increase in, shall we say, general debauchery. I mean, such public acts certainly weren't invented over the weekend at Slane castle. It's just that everyone has phones with cameras now.

As I pointed out earlier, there simply is no evidence that drinking has drastically increased in the U.S. over its historical baseline. While we are confronting different phenomena in this decade, mainly, binge drinking and abuse of prescription drugs, it's not as if these things are new to human existence (e.g. the earlier example of 1960's housewives ameliorating stress with addictive pharmaceuticals).

While social media and the internet have expanded both what people see and how many people see it, I find no reason to believe that there's an actual measurable increase in, shall we say, general debauchery. I mean, such public acts certainly weren't invented over the weekend at Slane castle. It's just that everyone has phones with cameras now.As I pointed out earlier, there simply is no evidence that drinking has drastically increased in the U.S. over its historical baseline. While we are confronting different phenomena in this decade, mainly, binge drinking and abuse of prescription drugs, it's not as if these things are new to human existence (e.g. the earlier example of 1960's housewives ameliorating stress with addictive pharmaceuticals).
I totally agree. I remember my mom was on Valium for YEARS after her and my dad split up.She said it was very common (she was a stewardess) in the 50's and 60's for doctors to give "pep pills" and "calm you down pills" at will. That and people seemed to be drinking starting with breakfast, at the office meetings, lunch, etc etc.I reckon we'll al just getting older. But I do resent these hipsters hijacking the "working mens" beers :)

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
I'm certainly getting older, but it takes us in different ways. I can recall the days when young gentlemen took chemistry for practical purpose, like being able to get tweeked or blow stuff up (best done on separate days, or in strict order) without recourse to the nasty business of trying to find the appropriate kind of dealer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

As long as there are people willing to dismiss real problems as "media hype" because it spares them the effort to do something about it, it isn't going to get any better. Until, perhaps, it's their own kid up there on the screen doing some unspeakable act in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld