Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aces High Irvin, what's wrong with it?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Maybe it's the 'Collection only' that puts bidders off. I would jump on a train right now if it were two sizes smaller

But... How could it have sold? Nothing wrong with it. There's still six days left till the end of an auction. Plus it's priced relatively high with a reserve not even being met yet which really puts people off. There's also plenty of alternative around... Probably a handful of those genuinely interested in this jacket and they all know well enough to wait for the last couple of seconds to bid.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
But... How could it have sold? Nothing wrong with it. There's still six days left till the end of an auction. Plus it's priced relatively high with a reserve not even being met yet which really puts people off. There's also plenty of alternative around... Probably a handful of those genuinely interested in this jacket and they all know well enough to wait for the last couple of seconds to bid.
Nope, he lets it go for 500£ according to his last mail...Shipping plus PP extra.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Thx for the info, but was not mine anyway...See mine (ex) in the attachment...note differences in color , hide texture and colar shape...

Attachments

• IMG_8441.JPG
    IMG_8441.JPG
    522.6 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:

Corsair42

One of the Regulars

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi,

That one was mine, it's not the one on eBay. I'm currently hanging on to mine while I await a bespoke aero prewar irvin - due January.

The aces high is very different in terms of fleece thickness vs the aeros that I saw at the factory so awaiting delivery of the aero before I make a firm decision to sell.
What is the difference in the fleece please? Thicker or thinner than Aero's and how does the Aces compare to the (None replica)Aviation leather craft jacket , which looks like it is made from a skinned teddy bear:eek:

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
All I can say on the aces High that I have is that it's perfect. The aeros I saw in the factory were great and their pre-war irvin is very close to the one original that I briefly owned including the length of the fleece. I think (and I'm no expert) that during the war fleece length differed with contracts and the slightly trimmed fleece made for a neater, more versatile, less bulky jacket, important for a fighter cockpit. With the slightly longer fleece you have the luxury of going a size or two up and it still looking great. The aces high fleece is very neat and uniform despite being longer so I'm guessing it's been subject to a tiny bit of trimming vs the non period correct mass produced modern Irvins. On the aero Irvin, I would say that it's a phenomenonal looking jacket if you get the measurements for your sizing spot on, the less bulk inside the jacket is less forgiving if the jacket is too big and as per some of the originals from the war, the shorter fleece, over time will then affect the drape of the hide. However, get it right on the sizing and not only will it look great, you have easier movement and more versatility with sweaters, shirts underneath etc. The aces high and Aero are both great jackets but I would recommend being ultra circumspect with sizing on the aero. The aces high on eBay at 46 chest, based on my 40 chest being a perfect fit with room to spare but no baggyness due to fleece length on my 44 aces high, would probably suit a 42 and 44 really well. if you are a 44 and average height that 46 aces high is a bargain.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Oh yeah, aces high vs alc, no competition, aces high worth every penny of the extra £500 and given the aero is near the same price as an ALC jacket, it's a no brainer to go for the aero.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I picked on the Aviation leather craft jacket simply because it is what the makers think a flying jacket should look like to a non military enthusiast, that is someone not bothered about replica WWII construction or authentic details. Their fleece is the thickest I have ever seen, idea for the 'vintage' MG, Austin Healey 3000 driver etc, possibly a little too thick for a realistic WWII Irvin(They own the name)reproduction.
I like Aero's new Irvin styles, especially the pre war and also Eastmans Battle version, I just have no room for every jacket I have ever wanted in my wardrobe, and we don't have enough super frosty days here to wear them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe