Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A warning to fellow thrifters

Trotsky

A-List Customer
So I pick up a Ralph by Lauren three button jacket: size 46R (which is a chance, but it was cheap and a Dillards product). I didn't try it on.

Mis. Take.

Remember those ridiculous Thom Brown Suits? Somebody had taken the sleeves up, so the cuff was almost between my wrist and my elbow. Luckily the fabric is all there so I may try to take it down my self. Still...sheesh. Always try stuff on!:eusa_clap

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Trotsky said:
Always try stuff on!:eusa_clap
Or bring along a.....

istockphoto_2609189-tailor-s-tape.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Funny thing, the local Goodwill has a long ruler mounted a above the trousers!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Sure as shootin'! I recently saw a sweet, early-'60s suit at the thrift store, 40R (usually regular is long enough for me). My eyes nearly popped when I saw it, but the coat length was a bit too short, the sleeves barely had enough material to let out, and the trousers were way too short with little material, too.:(

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I found a perfect 3-piece green tweed suit once. Perfect, except that at least half a foot had been hacked off the bottoms of the legs. :(

Lokar

A-List Customer
There was a green Savile Row 3 piece Harris Tweed at Hornets the last time I went. It was just a bit too big everywhere, including the shoulders, except the trouser legs, which were incredibly short. Such a pity.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Good reminder. :eusa_doh: Any time I spot something in a thrift store, and am just too lazy to try it on, I remind myself that far too many people have the habit of shrinking stuff in the wash --- and then donating the items to the thrift. :eek: That usually cures my inclination to buy something without trying it on. :D

Cobden

Practically Family
Lokar said:
There was a green Savile Row 3 piece Harris Tweed at Hornets the last time I went. It was just a bit too big everywhere, including the shoulders, except the trouser legs, which were incredibly short. Such a pity.

If I had been in a similar position with regards the trousers, I'd have bought it and had the trousers converted to plus fours.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
My little bit....

A lot of those "good deal" suits are usually garments from retail stores, that did alterations for a customer, and then the customer returned, or opted not to pick it up, or wore it and returned it. I have worked at several high-end retail stores (Saks Fifth Avenue, Ralph Lauren, Neiman-Marcus) over my career, and can't even begin to tell the stories of garments getting returned or mis-altered. Sometimes garments were on mannequins and cut or ripped to fit. Many times the garments are salvaged to be sold again...and others are consolidated and sold off in groups to discount houses. Such a sad thing for beautiful clothes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe