Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Vintage Style Overcoat

iammatt

Familiar Face
oc3ekz4.jpg

oc2emf2.jpg

Thought you guys might enjoy a modern version of an older style.

iammatt

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
Details man! You cannot tease us like that!

I hope you were able to rid your home of those swarming flies, poor chap. :)

I had it made in Naples this summer. As far as coat details:

oc007mediumis0.jpg

oc008mediumpj4.jpg

Here is a vintage coat that the same shop made in the 30s (it belongs to the shop owner, not me):
jackets001largeda4.jpg

And a linen duster made in the teens:
jackets003largesi3.jpg

And Alan, I am just following you and Manton around. You can't get rid of me :rage: :rage:

Jovan

Suspended
I just noticed, and I have to say the cuffed sleeves are a nice touch. Any sleeve detail on an overcoat is cool to have though. In particular, the functional button tabs on Magnoli's tweed overcoat -- I imagine they're used to keep the cold out when wearing gloves.

Barry

Practically Family
I bought this last night. The measurements were spot on. I'll try and get some pictures up later on in the week.

34276259_o.jpg

Barry

jml90

One of the Regulars
iammatt[IMG said:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6550/jackets003largesi3.jpg[/IMG]
What's the point in a jacket like that? Just so you're clothes don't get "dust" on them?

iammatt

Familiar Face
jml90 said:
What's the point in a jacket like that? Just so you're clothes don't get "dust" on them?

No. It was actually made to be used in open air roadster racing, and if you look at it you will see that it was well worn and well loved.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
iammatt said:
It was actually made to be used in open air roadster racing, ...

And not just roadster racing. Early automobiles of all kinds (pre-1910 or so) were very open, smokey and dusty. Riders became filthy. Men and women used protective overcoats, gloves, hats, veils, goggles, and even leather facemasks. Here's an example; it belonged to my great-grandmother's second husband, an early auto aficionado:

Automaskfront.jpg

Automaskdeconstructed.jpg

Automaskback.jpg

jml90

One of the Regulars
iammatt said:
No. It was actually made to be used in open air roadster racing, and if you look at it you will see that it was well worn and well loved.
So I was correct.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Early automobiles of all kinds (pre-1910 or so) were very open, smokey and dusty. Riders became filthy. Men and women used protective overcoats, gloves, hats, veils, goggles, and even leather facemasks. Here's an example; it belonged to my great-grandmother's second husband, an early auto aficionado:

Automaskfront.jpg
I saw that and immediately thought, "high altitude, open cockpit aviation." Altho you'd want the hole over the mouth, not the nose, so you could take oxygen thru a pipestem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe