Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A trip in the collection

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In these months of little mobility due to age limits :) I have spent a long time wandering around my hat collection.
I decided last year to sell part, a good half I would say, of my collection which had grown a bit too much.
Now I have regained control of the situation and I have decided that the journey is a census to define the hats that will be on the market soon.
Censimento Maggio 2024 A1 Vendita.jpg
First day. Part of the residents
Censimento Maggio 2024 B1 Vendita.jpg
First day. Part of those who leave
First day I dedicated myself to soft felt hats.
For two days I have been looking with detachment at the hats that come out of the wardrobes and deciding with Solomonic precision, perhaps, which ones will leave Verona.
Some are too large, others are tight, still others are far from my size, others are rarely worn, still others I have forgotten in my wardrobe for too long.
Censimento Maggio 2024 2 Vendita.jpg
The leavers are increasing
Censimento Maggio 2024 1 Vendita.jpg
Censimento Maggio 2024 3 Vendita.jpg
The second and, as I write I'm still working on the homburgs and the furry ones. As they came out of the wardrobes I took some photos to remember some of them and to put the undecided ones in a corner (the ones I will have to speak to the heart).
It's not easy and today after seeing all the ones "ready" to be worn I realized that sizes are for each head.
Censimento Maggio 2024 4 Vendita.jpg

The state of the work now.
It is a journey through time, into the taste and pleasure of every collector
In the next few days I will conclude the agreements with a social manager and then at the end of the summer, I hope, to start the sale.
I will keep you informed and if you remember any hats I showed you that you have fond memories of, please ask

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Gray day during the collection trip.
Today there was the family division. Borsalinos on one side, Barbisio on another and Panizza on yet another.
Tomorrow it will be the turn of the smaller groups and the "affairs of the heart", those hats for which it is difficult to decide the fate.
Censimento Borsalino taglia 60.jpg
Borsalino size 6 1/2 or 60 centimeters or 7 1/2 in the US. Some are very old, others more new most of them have the "Borsalino allure"
Censimento Borsalino taglia 59.jpg
Borsalino size 6 or 59 centimeters and 7 3/8 in the US. As for the as with the larger size, here too a mix of old and new. Keep in mind that these you see are the hats that were in the wardrobes for daily rotation. Other Borsalinos in smaller sizes have already been in boxes for some time, waiting to go and make other enthusiasts happy
Censimento Barbisio 59 e 60.jpg
These are the Barbisios with whom I have been cruel, but for some I still have feelings maybe until tomorrow. They too are a mix of styles and of different quality and workmanship. They are more and more scarce on the market
Censimento Paniizza taglia 59 - 60.jpg
Panizza - Albertini and Dobbs made under license by Panizza in the glorious years of hats.
Among them there is a hand-finished velour of priceless color and felt, too bad the gamble didn't work out, it's not my size, it's a 57 cm.
Other velours will soon be on this screen for all lovers of the genre.
The next day under the rain will be the last one, I hope, in this long journey between hats and past years

Today there was the family division. Borsalinos on one side, Barbisio on another and Panizza on yet another.
Tomorrow it will be the turn of the smaller groups and the "affairs of the heart", those hats for which it is difficult to decide the fate.
View attachment 617724
Borsalino size 6 1/2 or 60 centimeters or 7 1/2 in the US. Some are very old, others more new most of them have the "Borsalino allure"
View attachment 617725
Borsalino size 6 or 59 centimeters and 7 3/8 in the US. As for the as with the larger size, here too a mix of old and new. Keep in mind that these you see are the hats that were in the wardrobes for daily rotation. Other Borsalinos in smaller sizes have already been in boxes for some time, waiting to go and make other enthusiasts happy
View attachment 617726
These are the Barbisios with whom I have been cruel, but for some I still have feelings maybe until tomorrow. They too are a mix of styles and of different quality and workmanship. They are more and more scarce on the market
View attachment 617727
Panizza - Albertini and Dobbs made under license by Panizza in the glorious years of hats.
Among them there is a hand-finished velour of priceless color and felt, too bad the gamble didn't work out, it's not my size, it's a 57 cm.
The next day under the rain will be the last one, I hope, in this long journey between hats and past years
I love seeing these kind of pictures, but I have to admit I look at them with mixed feelings. All at once I am in awe at the size and quality of your collection, admiration for your courage to let go of so many of your darlings and anxiety that I really should do the same thing and cut down a collection that has gotten out of hand. You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din!

Mighty44

One Too Many
Wishing you luck with this process, Daniele! It looks like you are making good progress. So many beautiful hats—it is so impressive to see. I do believe it will be a relief to you to have cleared some space (both mental and physical) as you proceed.

Best,

David
View attachment 617724
View attachment 617725
View attachment 617726
View attachment 617727
The next day under the rain will be the last one, I hope, in this long journey between hats and past yearning

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I love seeing these kind of pictures, but I have to admit I look at them with mixed feelings. All at once I am in awe at the size and quality of your collection, admiration for your courage to let go of so many of your darlings and anxiety that I really should do the same thing and cut down a collection that has gotten out of hand. You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din!
You're right Stefan, cutting down a collection is both brave and difficult. In my loft is a vast collection of Big-Band Swingtime records, all the bigger 78 rpm, there is also a considerable collection of late 40's early 50's music on 45 rpm that I play on my jukebox.

If that wasn't enough, my collection of Aloha shirts, all kept on hangers, are gradually filling up a third wardrobe. Thinking about it, I have more shoes than I will ever wear, addiction takes no prisoners.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Wishing you luck with this process, Daniele! It looks like you are making good progress. So many beautiful hats—it is so impressive to see. I do believe it will be a relief to you to have cleared some space (both mental and physical) as you proceed.

Best,

David

You're right Stefan, cutting down a collection is both brave and difficult. In my loft is a vast collection of Big-Band Swingtime records, all the bigger 78 rpm, there is also a considerable collection of late 40's early 50's music on 45 rpm that I play on my jukebox.

If that wasn't enough, my collection of Aloha shirts, all kept on hangers, are gradually filling up a third wardrobe. Thinking about it, I have more shoes than I will ever wear, addiction takes no prisoners.
Dear Stefano, I thank you and all those who expressed their consent and words for the journey into my collection.
I stayed away from the hats for a couple of months and got to think without seeing the loved ones, so I could put some emotional distance. When I started visiting their house again I realized that some boxes had been closed and never reopened since October 2020. I thought that many hats were lost in my memory and so with great tact and patience I began the census of those available in the wardrobes to be worn. I have set aside about ten "unresolved hearts" and now I have almost finished the work with the final choice of those that will be on the market.
They will join those chosen last year to be scattered around the world and bring joy to hat lovers.
I confirm that for some I had to forget theirs and my past history together, but now the collection is out of proportion. I can assure you that it wasn't easy, but it's 90% done.
Some historical pieces and other more common ones will go away, however there will be a very wide choice in all sizes, except yours :)
I am no longer brave, just reckless out of necessity.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I have reached the end of my census and today I dealt with heart problems: those hats that I am almost sure I will hardly find in the future, so well preserved and in wearable sizes. Others are on the table awaiting the judgment of the heart, however I have been inflexible, especially with those quite far from my size.
Tomorrow I'll close the boxes with some regrets, but it's normal when you deal with part of your own history.
I saved the black hats for last. They are among my favorites and here I have brought together three samples of black velour and three homburgs from times gone by.
Pelosi Neri Huckel - Flechet.jpg

The flash did its best to illuminate the black velour, notoriously a "light eater", but the result was mediocre. In the foreground, shimmering, a very old Flechet (size 57). Keeping company are two Huckels (sizes 58 and 58 1/2) sold on the French market.
Lobbie nere Morreton - Mossant - Flechet.jpg

Three ancient homburgs or diplomatiques (we respect their name in French) in different felts, strictly in black.
In the foreground a Morreton Prelude (size 58) on the right a Mossant - Leon (size 57) and on the left a magnificent, ancient and delicious Flechet (size 56).
Something will still appear, but that's it. For those interested, write to me, I will be happy to answer you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld