Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A TRIBUTE TO WILDROOT

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hello all,

I am really enjoying all the information exchange and contibutions on the Lounge.

I'd like to tell you about my recent visit to California with my wife and our meeting up with Wildroot, and also Matt Deckard.

I spent two weeks in California, the first week in San Fran. What a lovely city: went to see the sights. We spent time in Alcatraz and one can really get a feeling for the place and when it was in operation. It was nice to be in the city where Sam Spade was supposed to have his office, and also to trace the streets and locations in one of my favorites, 'Vertigo'.

The second week we went down to LA. We stayed in the Biltmore. The Biltmore held the first Oscar ceremony reception and is full of history. It is mentioned in 'LA Confidential', 'True Confessions' and of course in 'Double Indemnity'.

Here's my wife and I at the Biltmore, before going out to meet Root:

LAwithRootandMatt004.jpg

I had contacted Wildroot before going over to see about meeting up. So we met up. It was so cool! Kinda nerve racking meeting someone you haven't met before but whose postings and stories you have read before. I guess Wildroot have a bit of celebrity status here in the Lounge, you might say!!

Anyho, my wife and I called over to Root's house in Monrovia. A really nice town. I couldn't believe it - a really lovely old-time type pretty town - just 30 minutes from Downtown LA.

We met Wildroot at his house. It was really cool - it was built in the teens and it has fans on the ceilings and a porch. It was really nice to be there. Wildroot showed us all his suits and old records. He put a few on - one by the Boswell sisters I think - and boy, the noise out of the old radio! What a BOOM box! Well we were dancing around the room!

Then Matt Deckard came over. "Mr 'H' is here", said Root. "Who?" said Matt. Root: "Mr 'H', from the Lounge". Matt: "Ahh!".

Matt had a nice fedora on and it was then that I knew that these guys were serious hat wearers! Not just for show, this is 24/7, a way of life.

We all stood in Root's livingroom. My, it was really great being there with two other regular guys who just love wearing nice hats and dressing in sharp vintage style suits. You see, I do not know of anyone here who like to dress vintage.

Here are the three of us in Root's front room:

LAwithRootandMatt007.jpg

We then looked at Root's '46 Plymouth. A beautiful ride. I honked the horn a couple of times because I just love the sound of cars from the '40s in the old films. Wildroot's parents came out - they thought it was him trying to get their attention. Root introduced us and they were lovely people.

LAwithRootandMatt011.jpg

LAwithRootandMatt012.jpg

Then we took a trip and spend some time going to a Pharmacy to their Soda Fountain to get some Chocolate Coke - what a treat! It was Matt, Root, my wife and myself. What a hoot, we were all having so much fun, just talking and tellin' stories and such.

Here's Matt and Root upfront:

LAwithRootandMatt013.jpg

Here's me:

LAwithRootandMatt018.jpg

The next day Root brought me vintage shopping in Pasedena. I got a pair of pants and a lovely coat and some '40s ties. Then later we took a spin down to the Queen Mary where we took the unauthorized tour.

Here's Root and I in the QM:

LAwithRootandMatt038.jpg

Here's Root who is on Deck:

LAwithRootandMatt051.jpg

Root, the artist:

LAwithRootandMatt039.jpg

I really wanted to say that I really appreciated the hospitality that Wildroot showed to me. He is a real gentleman and a good friend now. I have always enjoyed his stories and comments. To me, Wildroot embodies the good natured, friendly spirit of the Lounge.

So from me, a big "THANK YOU"!

All the best Wildroot!!!

Mr 'H'.

PS: Anyone who has any comments on Wildroot's contribution to the Lounge - please write in!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Great pictures & story. But what did the wife do while the fedoras were scoping out the car?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
We had a pretty fantastic time. Mr. H, Laura, Root and I hit up Fair Oaks Farmacy to get a few sodas then headed down to (I forget the name of the restaurant) to grab some burgers. Always a pleasure to ride in the vintage Plymouth, and always a joy to meet members from overseas... I want to travel so much and when those from other countries come here it brings that urge of getting away from the US to see the world up to the forefront of my mind.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
What a lovely story! I am always excited to see new pictures of people here meeting up. Everyone here seems sooo nice!! I hope to get out to California next year. I am negotiating a show out that way right now. If it pans out, I will certainly pack up my vintage wear and look all of you up!

Chad

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa said:
Great pictures & story. But what did the wife do while the fedoras were scoping out the car?

She was the one taking the photos!

We had a blast! I mean it really was good fun. I'd encourage any of the Lounge members to meet up whenever possible. I mean, it's such a buzz! People who like to dress in hats and nice gear, it's great, and so uncommon nowadays, unfortunately.

I believe some of the other members such as Vladimir have met up with Root et al. Well, any thoughts Mr. Berkoff?

Mr. 'H'.

PS - Chad, I'd recommend you look up Matt and Root - they're great crack!!!

Hondo

One Too Many
I couldn't have, but wish I had, say it any better, quite a great visit and tribute to Wildroot (and Matt) looks like fun, wish I was with ya. S.F and L.A. can be a fun place and time, if you know how to avoid traffic and over priced spots. Lucky fella Mr. H, lovely gal, thanks for sharing :cool:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sunset

Great pictures Mr. H. Love the shots around the car, the neighborhood set the scene just right. BTW, the Biltmore, along with the first Oscars, was mentioned in the movie 'Sunset' with Bruce Willis & James Garner.

Cheers!

Dan

Michaelson

One Too Many
Great photos. The most 'natural' looking ones were those with the hood of the Plymouth up....it's a normal setting, with us glaring at the engine, and usually muttering 'NOW what?!' (grins)

Just kidding. ;)

Looks like you had a great visit, and the perfect hosts!!

High regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally