Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A trend.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I started a trend in my neighborhood when I built my house I told the builder I wanted a flag pole so I could fly the American Flag and the Marine Corps flag. I was the first to do so. I just drove thru the neighborhood and I counted 7 new flag poles. Made me feel good about where I live.

Have any of you started a trend where you live? Do you fly a flag?

flag_roger.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I fly a flag every nice day of the year, but on the front of my old house. I bought a really nice solid brass mount (I hated those cheap steel ones), and it took me a while but I found a maker of really nice 48 star flags, embroidered stars and sewn stripes. I've flown it for about 4 years now.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
<p>Flying flags on your residence isn't particularly common in this part of
Australia. </p>
<p>But some folks down the road have the
<a target="_blank" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Flag">Eureka Flag</a>
flying on the roof of their garage, I found that interesting.</p>

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
I fly 3 different ones, depending on the day: the American flag, the Irish tri-color, and during football and basketball season my University's colors.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Looks beautiful!

Sharpetoys,

Your flagpole is beautiful. We fly an all-weather flag pretty much everyday. Most others in our neighborhood don't, although a few have been coming out now over Memorial Day. We've been keeping the Christmas candles in our windows year-round too, as we like the pretty glow that is gives off. I guess we'll see if anyone else follows suit on that one.

Semper Fidelis,

Jessica

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice House

You should be in the Show Us Your Garden thread, Sharpetoys!

We fly a flag all through the summer.

The trend I started is that people keep their yards up better since I cannot abide weeds....

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not as nice as you, but YES

I don't have a flag pole, but I have flown a 3' x 5' flag (with REAL sewn on stars and stripes) EVERY day since September 11, and the second war in Iraq.

Many of my neighbors also fly the red, white, and blue. I do feel good about it.

flag2.jpg

RedPop4

One Too Many
I've gone through two flags since September 11, 2001, and I haven't replaced the second yet.

I have two of the banner/flag poles on my front fence.
In one is an LSU Tigers flag. On the other pole is a "Save New Orleans" flag. It's a pretty medium blue with gold fleur de lis on it.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
I live in an apartment with no patio or balcony, so I can't fly one. :(

What I find fascinating is how many flags appeared on my street (before we moved) after September 11 - and how many of those flags disappeared a few months later.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I don’t have a flag pole, but I have an original 1940’s 48 star flag… it’s in great shape and I hang it on some hooks that are on the roof of my front porch… I hang it there on Memorial day, July 4th and other patriotic holidays. I think it looks so cool hanging from my front porch; it just blows gently in the breeze and looks so pretty!

=RS=

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
SHARPETOYS said:
I started a trend in my neighborhood when I built my house I told the builder I wanted a flag pole so I could fly the American Flag and the Marine Corps flag. I was the first to do so. I just drove thru the neighborhood and I counted 7 new flag poles. Made me feel good about where I live.

Have any of you started a trend where you live? Do you fly a flag?

flag_roger.jpg

That's the Chateau Montercristi...in Titusville, FL...great bed and breakfast...great host and hostess....highly recommended...AAAAA

mark the shoeshine boy

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
We fly our American flag year-round in front of our home, and have been doing so since we bought the place. Except during March, when I swap it out for the Irish tri-color!

We live in an older suburban neighborhood, and I would say that probably a good 70% of the homes here fly US flags year round. It is actually less common to see a house without one flying.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A new trend in the neighborhood...

Over the years as I've learned more about our Constitution and our Constitutional Republic, I've also discovered how much We The People have lost as our government grows even larger...

b3faf8df.jpg

We fly the Civil Flag as a way of showing our allegiance to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights; this flag doesn't represent the Military, or the Bureaucracy or the Government at all. It's representative of us - We The People. It certainly starts great conversations - which, of course is always good! -dixon cannon

Strider

One of the Regulars
I don't fly any flags, but especially would not fly an American flag. I feel as though it would be construed that, in so doing, I was showing support for things or people that I, in fact, do not support nor think highly of. I say a prayer on Memorial Day and the 4th of July, instead. I do, however, have a replica of the Constitution framed on my bedroom wall. I do support and think highly of that.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Strider said:
I don't fly any flags, but especially would not fly an American flag. I feel as though it would be construed that, in so doing, I was showing support for things or people that I, in fact, do not support nor think highly of. I say a prayer on Memorial Day and the 4th of July, instead. I do, however, have a replica of the Constitution framed on my bedroom wall. I do support and think highly of that.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."

--John Wayne

Jessica
Proud USMC Wife

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I do what the Abolitionists did in the 1850s, when the U.S. Supreme Court denied that blacks had any rights "that whites are bound to respect".
I fly the flag ... but upside down. Why? Because the flag is sacred, but our country, which it represents, is being turned upside down and mismanaged into the ground.

Just my opinion, as a voting American citizen. Bye for now.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
Over the years as I've learned more about our Constitution and our Constitutional Republic, I've also discovered how much We The People have lost as our government grows even larger...

b3faf8df.jpg

We fly the Civil Flag as a way of showing our allegiance to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights; this flag doesn't represent the Military, or the Bureaucracy or the Government at all. It's representative of us - We The People. It certainly starts great conversations - which, of course is always good! -dixon cannon

Radical concept! And one that we should all get back to,...We The People,.....

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Sharpetoys, Great pic.

I keep a desktop flag on the store counter at all times. I also have a pic of my brother who's serving in the Army right now.

We fly a few different "ornamental" flags at our house. My neighbor has a flag pole you could fly a Burger King flag on. He also does it right by making sure there is a light on the flag at night. Remember, there's etiquette for flags too.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Strider said:
I don't fly any flags, but especially would not fly an American flag. that.

Hummm, interesting. I read you're whole post, I can understand to a degree your point and I respect every American’s belief. However, I find it some what offensive that a fellow American would be ashamed of his/hers colors. Yes, the current administration isn't winning many friends, my land lord is very conservative but, she's not happy with the way things are being run. I'm not that happy about it either, I consider my self to be pretty conservative too. I fly my flag (48 star) in remembrance and reverence for our freedoms that we still share and the history that we have. Yes, years have passed and things change some times for the better and some times for the worst but, with all do respect, this flag has stood it's ground and speaks of many, many volumes of history... the work and sweat that has gone into this country is amazing, I respect it for what it sands for. The flag doesn't stand for the current President or who's working in DC, it waves for the things we have fought for, the freedoms we our families have protected and continue to protect. Every system has faults and problems, its human nature to have them! Nothing on this earth is perfect... NOTHING! I don't wave my flag in front of others, no, that's not the way to be patriotic, I simply display my antique flag in humble reverence for all those men and women who have sacrificed their lives for us... this I do and will continue to do with out reflection on who I vote for or who's in office at the moment. Flying the flag shouldn't be about that, it's about the fundamentals and what it stood for and means that our Founding Fathers envisioned!

=WR=

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Wild Root said:
Hummm, interesting. I read you're whole post, I can understand to a degree your point and I respect every American’s belief. However, I find it some what offensive that a fellow American would be ashamed of his/hers colors. Yes, the current administration isn't winning many friends, my land lord is very conservative but, she's not happy with the way things are being run. I'm not that happy about it either, I consider my self to be pretty conservative too. I fly my flag (48 star) in remembrance and reverence for our freedoms that we still share and the history that we have. Yes, years have passed and things change some times for the better and some times for the worst but, with all do respect, this flag has stood it's ground and speaks of many, many volumes of history... the work and sweat that has gone into this country is amazing, I respect it for what it sands for. The flag doesn't stand for the current President or who's working in DC, it waves for the things we have fought for, the freedoms we our families have protected and continue to protect. Every system has faults and problems, its human nature to have them! Nothing on this earth is perfect... NOTHING! I don't wave my flag in front of others, no, that's not the way to be patriotic, I simply display my antique flag in humble reverence for all those men and women who have sacrificed their lives for us... this I do and will continue to do with out reflection on who I vote for or who's in office at the moment. Flying the flag shouldn't be about that, it's about the fundamentals and what it stood for and means that our Founding Fathers envisioned!

=WR=

Couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld