Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Large Hoard of NOS Vintage Hatband Ribbon

Warbaby

One Too Many
On my recent travels to eastern Canada and upstate New York I met someone who has quite a large hoard of N.O.S. hatband ribbon. As far as I can tell there are about 200-250 rolls in a wide variety of colors and widths. I asked the owner to make me a price on all of it, but I have to wait for a couple of weeks for the answer because they're remodeling part of their house and the cartons of ribbon are buried in all the stuff they're storing in one room.

Is this something that the hat makers on the lounge would be interested in? Should I pursue negotiating a price and does anyone have any ideas on what a good price would be?

Here's a photo of one roll that I brought back with me and a couple of shots of stacks of rolls that were accessible at the time.

HatbandRibbon3.JPG

HatbandRibbon2.JPG

HatbandRibbon4.jpg

HatbandRibbon5.jpg

Warbaby said:
Is this something that the hat makers on the lounge would be interested in? Should I pursue negotiating a price and does anyone have any ideas on what a good price would be?]

Not to spark a bidding war here, but it's worth quite a bit. Check out the prices of the new cotton/rayon blend finished edge stuff (which isn't as desirable as the vintage ribbon) to get some sense of what it would be MINIMALLY worth.

Ka-ching.

Seriously, Warbaby, if I had the line on that stuff, I'd make an offer large enough to pleasantly surprise the seller (presumably), in the knowledge that I would almost certainly recover my costs and then some, seeing how hatters are always on the lookout for quality ribbon. If there are indeed 200-250 full (or nearly so) rolls, that's quite the find.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
breathe Tony, breathe!!! lol lol

grab a paper bag & keep it handy.

Warbaby, you have struck at the heart of us hatters...enjoy the ride. I'd also be interested in what's there.

billyspew

One Too Many
Congratulations on the find!

I've been buying quite a lot of this off OFAS for the last few months for restoration of hats. I've generally being paying about 2-4 dollars a yard (yes yard).

So if you've got a 200-250 rolls of 50 yard rolls, that's quite a lot.

There's recently been someone selling rolls of 5 yards for about 20 dollars BIN.

I would be interested in a small amount of yardage in a selection of colours, if you choose to sell like that.

TTFN,

Bill

majormoore

Vendor
Count me in on the ribbon, I will buy the whole lot, send me a price. Or maybe Art and I can split the cost and divide the ribbon between the two of us.

Major Moore
Buckaroo Hatters

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I had no idea that vintage ribbon was in high demand. I know that what is made today is not of the same quality. There are few decent ribbin makers left . I would alsos be interested in the ribbon if it is for sale. Count me in!!!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Warbaby

One Too Many
To show that I was serious and to insure that I get the lot, I called the owner of the ribbon this morning and said that I'd like to buy the 50 rolls that were accessible now (shown in the photos above), then get a price on the rest of it when they can get to it. They're going to think about it and call me back tomorrow with a price on the first lot.

Not being a hatter, I'm not buying the ribbon for myself but to grab it while it's available and pass on to the lounge members who can put it to good use. Of course I'll keep a few yards for my own use, but the rest of it will go to you guys. I wouldn't mind making a little on it, but it won't be much because I'll need to turn it over fairly quickly since buying it will pretty much clean me out financially.

I want to be fair about sharing it among you all, but I'm not sure how to do it. Assuming the owner's estimate of 200-250 rolls is accurate and most of them are full, that's gonna be somewhere around 7000-10000 yards of ribbon - plenty enough for everyone. So please help me out here with some suggestions about how to distribute the hoard fairly.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Maybe you could sell fifty percent of it wholesale to anyone buying a certain amount, to recoup your money, then sell the rest at a more retail price. Those that need only a little bit for a few hats shouldn't object to a retail price as it would only be a few bucks. That way, everyone gets some, you get your expenses paid, and make a little money for your troubles.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hat Ribbons

Exactly... or "johnnyphi" a large lot of it amongst our professional hatter members and keep some for us punters to buy in small lots or share out with informal deals...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I am certainly going to keep my eyes open in the thrift stores and for closed hat shops. not that I wouldn't take notice of a closed hat shop anyway.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby, That's a unique find.
My take on this is that the hatmakers will be more willing to take larger numbers of rolls and this probably makes sense to you as far as recouping your investment and some profit in a shorter time period.
That being said, the members who do their own restorations and/or conversions may take a larger number of rolls.
Certainly these would be better than one-off sales.
I'd query the hatmakers and see what they think is a fair price/yard.
Looks like a reasonable seller's market to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld