Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A glued in sweat??!

Barry

Practically Family
They had a number of "unfinished" straws that they block. I remember the top of line being around a $1000. I've seen your website and will probably order a straw hat next season and let Art block it. I don't remember if he provided the "two-tone" ribbon that I saw on your site but that hat was beautiful - it was the blue/gold ribbon, I think.

Barry

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pilgrim said:
It is possible that he has a new employee who doesn't know better - and if you don't let him know the problem, he can't address it. You really do need to get in there ASAP to talk.

I would definitely take it back. They did a shoddy job for a pretty stiff price. I'm not buying the "new employee didn't know better" theory. If you're a new employee and don't know how to do a job right, do you just plunge in with whatever you come up with or do you ask the boss? I'm betting that's how the shop does it and nobody's called them on it before - why else would rubber cement be so readily available in the shop? Or is rubber cement considered to be a normal, day-to-day supply for hat maintenance and repair?

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
besdor said:
Tony, a good hatter ( that's me) will have access to a leather stitching machine .It's the only way to put in a leather sweatband . I'm sure that other stores that have been around for a while can help you .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

What about hand-sewn Steven?

Andykev said:
Rule one: Being polite to a SELLER or SHOP OWNER who gives shoddy service or merchandice is , well WRONG.

YOU are the customer, and you DEMAND quality, proper service.

Rule two: how did you pay? If on plastic, CANCEL IT.

Rule three: tell him this

I came in her for a hat with no liner. Now I have a hat with no liner, and I don't have $22 dollars. I want my liner, or my money!

I have actually found that I get more wrongs righted by being polite and asking for understanding of my viewpoint. I guess it was the military leadership training believe it or not.

mthatter said:
Barry,

Hard to believe a real Hat Shop would glue in a sweatband. You definately need to talk to the owner and he needs to talk to, fire or teach whoever did the repair so it doesn't happen again. And refund your money. I hope they didn't use Barges cement as it sticks for a long, long time.

John
www.rockymountainhatcompany.com

Hopefully it's a glue you can rub off or get out with the white gas.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Re: ones' approach: there's great truth to the old adage "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

I don't understand why so many people become aggressive and antagonistic immediately when trying to resolve a problem, when they would often encounter success if they first made a firm but polite request and stuck to it.

Fedora

Vendor
so THAT"S how you are supposed to put a sweat in...I've been doing it wrong all these years...heading off the the local hardware store..they MUST have glue guns..

lol Be sure and get the long tubes that you can put in a caulking gun. It is more economical. ;)

It's the only way to put in a leather sweatband .

Well, it sure is quicker. I hand sew mine,(using lockstitches) and I like this as you do not get the tear away perforated line just a hair above the brim break. On cheaper felt, I have actually torn the brim off the hat due to this perforated line left by the machine.(while I was trying to pull it over the block) I have seen many vintage hats that were hand sewn as well, with the last one being a vintage HJ. The good thing about hand sewing is the stitches are well above the brim break, and not visible if the hatband were to slide up. And you can refurbish a high quality felt hat many, many times using the hand sewn sweats. I can only imagine what a perforated line would be present after a hat had been machine stitched several times during subsequent refurbishments. I know that the felt that I use will outlast many of the wearers, and try to make it so as not to run into future problems when those hats are refurbished. I have told my customers, if they ever get into a survival situation, they have fishing, or snare lines readily available, as I use braided nylon thread(high test weight) to attach the sweat to the hat. One fairly long piece. You could catch a fish with it, or snare a rabbit. :D Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe