Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Great Eastman A-1 pictures!

Thanks for posting those pictures, Rumblefish and Estevan. It's nice to see the contrast between when the jacket is/was new against when it's seen some service. Capeskin sure looks pretty!

Noel

Estevan

One of the Regulars
WhiskeyTangoFox said:
Thanks for posting those pictures, Rumblefish and Estevan. It's nice to see the contrast between when the jacket is/was new against when it's seen some service. Capeskin sure looks pretty!

Noel

This A-1 is very comfortable and almost like not even wearing a jacket. It's the first one I grab when I go out the door.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
I just saw one for sale on eBay, for those of you who are interested. I won't post the link due to forum restrictions, but you can find it with not much problem.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Honestly, as much as I love the A-2, the A-1 is really my all time favorite. I love it's early style. Theres just something about all the buttons. Being made before the invention of the zipper, if my history is correct. It's one of those jackets I sit on the Eastman site and just can't stop looking at.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Another plug for Shorpy.com...

Think this splendidly attired chap deserves a place here...

18053u.preview.jpg

Just clocked him on the Shorpy blog, there is a high res version here...

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2765?size=_original

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Late News from the OFAS front

Someone paid dang near the price for brand new on this US Authentic A-1.
(I know this 'cause I took the retail price and subtracted $50 for my high bid.)

Now why would these be worth nearly as much (or more?!) pre-owned from Joe Blow than straight from Shaul and fitted to your request?
Is it the promise of a little bit of break-in character?
Or just the competitive drive to Win It? After all, any moax with 4 bills to spend can order one. No challenge there.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here some photos of my new Goodwear A-1. As you can see, it's is the Army Air Corps version with the lower, smaller pockets. I asked John to follow the original government specs as closely as possible, so the jacket's leather is capeskin.

By the way, the fedora is an Akubra Stylemaster.

geoffjacket017.jpg

geoffjacket006.jpg

geoffjacket021.jpg

AF

Edward

Bartender
Great look, Atticus.... I'd swap the black plastic for a vintage Fender style tweed case to complete the picture. ;) The Stylemaster really works very well with the A1.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
.... I'd swap the black plastic for a vintage Fender style tweed case to complete the picture. ;)

Hi Edward,

I used to have such a case for one of my Fenders. I agree, it would have made the photo much better---especially since I was trying to create a "Down at the Crossroads" sort of theme. But I sold it, and the Telecaster in it, about two years ago.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the comments, folks. I really like the jacket. I think many younger jacketheads would say the fit is a bit large, and it may be, but I purposefully asked John to cut it on the large side. Experience has taught me that trim, military-fitting jackets fail to make me look like a trim, twenty-year-old fighter pilot. Instead, they make me look like a fat, fifty-year-old lawyer who is unsuccessfully trying to look like a twenty-year-old fighter pilot. Anyhow, try as I may, I just can't abide tight-fitting clothing, especialy jackets. Finally, since ordering my A-1 last February, I've managed to lose about twenty pounds. Yes, I know. Its hard to believe judging from my impressive largeness in the above photos, but true it is---twenty pounds since July.

AF

JanSolo

Practically Family
A-1 pictures requested.

I've ordered an A-1 from Aero's sales page. This is going to be a jacket for my father. It's in size 40. Unfortunately (or luckily) it is growing more and more on me....if me father doesn't like it, I'll keep it. Does any of you gents have a couple of additional photos of the A-1? Any opinion on Aero's, Eastman's, LW's etc. A-1 is very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

John Lever

One Too Many
Loads of choice. Capeskin is the correct spec. but horsehide is popular because of its toughness.
Goodwear -

IMGP1762.jpg

IMGP1787.jpg

Eastman -

IMGP1889.jpg

IMGP1912.jpg

Aero steer oilpull -
2006-05-05040.jpg

2006-05-05043.jpg

Buzz Ricksons Bronco horse -

BuzzRicksons030.jpg

BuzzRicksons032.jpg

BuzzRicksons046.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks everybody! John, your A-1s look fantastic!! Especially the Goodwear and the Eastman suit my taste. The jacket I have on order is made from oilpull HH which is considered to be a medium weight leather. How comfortable is your oilpull steer version? Would you say that it is a heavy jacket compared to an A-2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe