Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$780 for an Indiana Jones Action Figure.....

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...made by Toys Mccoy in Japan.
fd_1_sbl.JPG

Ok, sure it's a limited edition, but really.
Or how about a Steve McQueen?
30_1_sbl.JPG

A bargain at $485!

CopperNY

A-List Customer
whatever the market will bear.....

i know guys that buy figures in the $200-$300 range and could easily see them splurging on the Indy.

of course they think i'm an idiot for spending $200 on a pair of wingtips when black velcro sneakers are better in every way. :)

Tiller

Practically Family
That's pretty amazing. I didn't know there was such a big market for dolls. To each their own though. I hope whoever buys it enjoys it. I guess it would be something you would display? Kind of like fine china, something you never use, but show off.

Miss 1929

Tiller said:
That's pretty amazing. I didn't know there was such a big market for dolls. To each their own though. I hope whoever buys it enjoys it. I guess it would be something you would display? Kind of like fine china, something you never use, but show off.

You don't use your fine china? What is the point of having it?

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
The generation willing to spend the most money on collectibles and nostalgia items is shifting away from the Baby Boomers to Gen X and Y, which have much different cultural icons.

Although I'm a Gen X person, if the prices of, say, pre-CBS Fender guitars or Modernist first edition books ever drops from the stratosphere, I might just have to go on a shopping spree.

(Having stuff you never used, like not using china or keeping toys in packages always seemed foreign to me, too).

Tiller

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
You don't use your fine china? What is the point of having it?
lol I don't have fine china. That idea came from a Sherlock Holmes episode/story actually. "The Illustrious Client", were the "bad guy" of the story besides "collecting women", is also a collector and expert on Chinese Pottery. That is to say pottery of the first century, and the like. Like one wouldn't eat off a thousand year old dish owned by an emperor, I doubt one would open a toy doll and play with it after spending that kind of money. So I assume it's simply a display piece. Something to put behind glass, so people can stare and admire it [huh].

Sorry about being a vague on that;)lol .

Miss 1929

Oh THAT kind of china! I thought you meant the "best" dishes that people keep in the china cabinet on display and yet never use... I never got that. Yes, a 1000 year old dish is another thing entirely (not to mention the dangers of lead-based glaze).

And while I could see spending a lot on a vintage toy, as it would be cool and old, I have just never been fascinated by the manufactured "collectability" of action figures - merely another corporate cash cow. The very name is ridiculous too - THEY ARE DOLLS, let's just call them that! Oh, but boys aren't supposed to like dolls.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
flat-top said:
...made by Toys Mccoy in Japan.
fd_1_sbl.JPG

Ok, sure it's a limited edition, but really.
Or how about a Steve McQueen?
30_1_sbl.JPG

A bargain at $485!

i remember the indy i wanted to buy it a few years ago but i could never put in my rent dough for it.. i bought the sideshow version instead. the mccoy indy just keeps gettin more and more pricey for me. the samethin is happenin with the enterbay bruce lee way of the dragon figure i wanted that one too but from the looks of it ill have to save a wad of dough just to get it. do you have the mccoy arabian horse?

Edward

Bartender
Something odd looking about Indy's jacket there.... in figures that size with cloth clothes, they never quite seem to get "leather" jackets to look "right," IMO.

I pick up the odd action figure here and there - most recently, I've started to get hold of the six inch Watchmen figures. It's probably a hangover from childhood when I was big on Star Wars, lol. Since Star Wars has been dead to me some time (ever since Greedo shot first...), I'm now waiting for the value of childhood nostalgia to be outweighed by eBay values before I shift those.... lol. Thought about keeping them for nephew one day, but chances are it'll never mean anything to him as a brand. He's only two now.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much some of these manufactured collectables (by which I mean a piece created for the collector's market, sometimes in limited quantities) are priced at. As others have said, however, it really does come down to market supply and demand. They wouldn't be making them if they didn't sell..... Personally, I'd love to see a breakdown on the costs of a run of these figures; I'd love to see the proportionate elements of the average price at point of sale that would go to production of the physical item, licensing costs, and profit margins. The psychology of collecting this sort of thing is also fascinating, as so often, it seems, any one piece's 'value' to the collector is as much about more intangible factors - how close to 'complete' does this make my set? Is this a limited edition? Would it sell on eBay today for three times what I paid last year? - than the physical object itself - "wow, what a cool toy". It's interesting too how the growth in the collectors' market in, I would say, the past twenty years, has affected what is produced, the focus now as often as not being upon things that will appeal to the collector as opposed to its primary function being a toy. With respect to some of the newer lines, especially Star Wars figures produced after 1994, it seems likely that the only really valuable ones in future will be those that have been opened and played with as so many people bought multiples of them all on release to keep them boxed, believing themselves to be sitting on a future goldmine. lol

dr greg

One Too Many
doll house

Sorry, the whole idea of manufactured collectibles seems a contradiction in terms to me, isn't the point of it all that not everybody can have what you have, and if it's 'deemed' collectible then aren't you just another consumer, (value adding aside). How much do you think Franklin Mint rubbish will be worth in 200 years time?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
When I was younger, my Dad collected Star Wars action figures, and at the time I was a big Star Wars fan, so we made a deal. When we went to the store to buy him new ones to add to his collection, I was allowed to get one or two more. I have a small bucket filled with them, but I opened mine, and he didn't open his. I don't even know where my bucket is, actually... I think it's at his house. My favorite was Leah in the Ewok dress.

I have some Indy figures on my bookcase from when I bought them in vegas to use as diving toys in the pool, too. lol But they're the 'German Soldiers' and not actually Indy himself.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think the Steve doll is way too beefy!

My dad is a comic book and Sci-Fi fan - He has action figures of Wolverine, Cyclops, and Gambit; Miniature busts of Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff, and Bela Lugosi, all in character; A replica of the Thunderbird 2, with the Thunderbird 4 inside, and small figures of Virgil Tracy and Brain; a mini statue of Spock, which stands atop his CPU; and a large Godzilla, which holds up various cables. His DVD collection, including Hammer Horror, the original Star Trek, Dune, and The Prisoner, is impressive. When I showed him these action figures and their prices, he laughed! "That's a ridiculous amount of money for something you're only going to display," he says lol

But the world needs fanatics!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Kingdom Of Getting Your SKULL Examined

39121_press05-001.jpg

Doctor thanks for seeing me on short notice. The urge [huh] just came over to buy this! Solid Citizen lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe