Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4X Means what? and more ???

Irish Gentleman

New in Town
Hi all! Okay, I'm a newbie here so go easy on me.

I've been looking to purchase my first cowboy hat (after living in Arizona for 34 years). I've seen many nice looking Stetsons (and others) on Ebay for sale. I don't mind getting it "used." I am however confused at some that say 4X or 10X... is this the capacity of the hat in terms of the size volume of the top portion?

Also, I looked around on the net (I'm new to that too), to see if I could find what my head size translates into for a hat size so I know what to look for, but can't find what I'm looking for. Had the wife measure the ol' noggin just above the ears at about hatline and came up with 24" on the button. I recall that the last time I was goofing around in a store I tried on a 7 3/8 size hat that fit just about right. So does this 24" translate to the 7 3/8 size or am I in need of a straight jacket?

Last... That anyone knows of, is there someplace on the net (other than Ebay) that sells a more vintage style cowboy hat. I emailed Stetson to see about a certain style hat the John Wayne wore, (that I knew for sure was a Stetson) but they told me that it was no longer being produced. Anyone know where I should be searching for something like that?

Thanks all!

Terry :beer:

Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe?
:cheers1:

MattC

A-List Customer
Size question

7 3/8 is 23". 24" would be 7 5/8. I would go to a store and try on different hats to see what size feels best. Sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer (and sometimes widely among one company's hats--even within a style), but wearing a few different maker's hats should give you a general idea of what size feels right to you.

There are other threads here on what the "x" system meant (sort of ) at one time, and the fact that it certainly means nothing now.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Cowboy Hats...

To get your hat size, take your head size in inches and divide by pi. This will give you your hat size. 23" = a 7 3/8 hat size.
MattC is correct in that the "x" system means doodly squat in this day & age. Here's the Readers Digest version of the "x" system. To the best of my knowledge, the "x" system back in the day was a show of the beaver content in the hat. 10% beaver per "x". So a 4"x" would be aproximately 40% beaver, and so on and so forth. Now a days, "It don't mean a thing". Most hats (even cowboy hats) are of inferior quality. This is probably why most cowboy hats today are very thick and as stiff as a British bankers upper lip. They are mostly rabbit & wool with a bit of beaver and a few other blends.

Custom hats on the other hand may be more expensive than your garden variety Stetson, but they are worth every penny. I personally like Tom Hirt's cowboy hats. Even his low end hat is high quality. He has a hat block for just about every hat shape under the sun.
http://www.tomhirt.com/

Now, Rand's Custom Hats make a good all 'round cowboy hat that is very durrable and they can be had for a reasonable cost.
http://www.randhats.com/

The other cowboy hat company that produces a fine cowboy hat at a reasonable cost is Jackson Hole Hat Co. They are very frendly and quite helpful. It is a family run business that not only make what they show in their catalog & web site, but will work with you on a custom item as well for not much more than their catalog prices. I'd say if you're on a budget go with these folks. Great Customer Service.
http://www.jhhatco.com/

So, there you have it. If there are any other Hat Sites you wish to peruse let me know & I'll post more links. These three I have found to be very accomodating & will answer any newcomers questions. Happy hunting.

Cheers!

Dan

jpdesign

Vendor
A 4x stetson only has enough beaver to say that it is there. a 20x in any major brand should be getting close to a 50/50 beaver/rabbit blend. a 30 x might get as high as 75%. a 10x would be about 25% beaver. a 100x in a Baily hat is pure beaver, new runs about $600. In a Stetson or Resistol a 100x at the same price is a beaver and cashmier blend(this gives the hat a softer feel with out having to work the hat as much) and a 200x is a pure beaver that has a lot of finishing work done to it. very soft to the touch. those sell for around $1000, unless it is one of resistols "special promotions" in which case is is a body that wouldn't normally pas inspection, and probably won't hold a shape very well.

Irish Gentleman

New in Town
Wow! You guys are awesome!

I mean it seriously, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! (Tipping my hat to each of you that replied). :cheers1:

Fantastic information and a good start on my hat education. I appreciate each of you taking the time, even if only a few moments, to lead me in the right direction. While I have much to chew on now, I feel much better suited to move forward with getting that first cowboy hat I've always wanted.

Thanks again!

Terry :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S