Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4th DIY: Last one in queue

Wil Tam

Practically Family

Today I worked on one of my prized Borsalinos, slate gray almost black in color, light weight felt that needed a new sweatband & lining. After I stripped it, I had to flip it inside out because after I removed the ribbon [which was still serviceable] I found the area beneath the ribbon was a bit too faded.

IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg

On my head before the stripping then after the flip & prep of the sweatband for installation

IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg

Finished hat

IMG_0370.jpg

New lining

This is the last hat that I need to fix for a while ... I just bought a NWT Olive Green Borsalino off of eBay today!
I just couldn't let it get away so I just pulled the trigger on the Buy it now price! ;)

----------------
Now playing: Garbage - Only Happy When it Rains
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family

Wil Tam

Practically Family
different ways

dawgvet said:
Nice work. What is the best method for re-bashing a hat?

Thanks, I enjoyed the project, it relaxes me unless the thread I'm using gets all tangled up :eusa_doh:

I usually put the kettle on to get the steam going then shove a bath towel into the cavity of the crown, making it tight so that I have something to hold on to as I steam the old creases out. I concentrate on the most pronounced creases making sure to steam out all of it .. thus recreating a open crown & reactivating the stiffener in the hat if any was used. I then let it cool and dry completely before I remove the towel & karate chop the top making sure that it is in the middle going from front to back. That's basically it, from there you have the base to re-bash into any style that you want.

Hope that helps. good luck!

----------------
Now playing: Everclear - A Beautiful Life
via FoxyTunes

dawgvet said:
Nice work. What is the best method for re-bashing a hat?
Jed, I use a spray bottle from Ace hardware with distilled water from Kroger. Mist the hat very well & the felt becomes pliable. I go from existing crease to the one I want, making sure to work out the lines of the old one. A good brushing/sponging to get it clean FIRST is crucial.
I also use steam for minor changes but use the spray bottle for major transformations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld