Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4IH knot, straight collar.

Marty M.

Vendor
Right on Stanley.

StanleyVanBuren said:
Don't expect to see this from me on any kind of regular basis:

IMG_6857.JPG

I know what's coming next and I'll save you the trouble: Yes, I know how to dimple a tie; No, I don't usually care to.
Stanley,
I always enjoy your post. Your attitude is always positive. And your wardrobe selection is always fresh. For a young guy, your taste level is far better then most guys your senior in my industry. Keep up the great post pal.:eusa_clap
Marty Mathis

StanleyVanBuren

Marty M. said:
Stanley,
I always enjoy your post. Your attitude is always positive. And your wardrobe selection is always fresh. For a young guy, your taste level is far better then most guys your senior in my industry. Keep up the great post pal.:eusa_clap
Marty Mathis

Thanks! That's a really great compliment. Glad you like what I'm doing. This forum has helped me learn a lot and hone my skills. Of course, there's always further to go...

mister7

Familiar Face
To quote the Baron "The suggestion is that the implied body jealousy of our more corpulent members precludes them giving realistic critique. Hmmm, a bit of a stretch, that one." Actually, nothing of the sort was said or implied. What I was getting at is that since Stanley actually posts many pictures of himself he bravely takes a lot of flak from all quarters. Bottom line, he deserves credit where credit is due, and I simply noted that far from his "can't win" remark he is probably the envy of many who see his photos.

MS

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
StanleyVanBuren said:
Thanks for all the compliments!

Here's another 4IH experiment with a different collar than my usual:

IMG_6860.JPG

(Rover your request is still pending... I have not forgotten)

Out of all the stripe-stripe-stripe combos you've done, I like this one the best. You're gettin' there! :eusa_clap

mister7 said:
bk said:
"The suggestion is that the implied body jealousy of our more corpulent members precludes them giving realistic critique. Hmmm, a bit of a stretch, that one."

Actually, nothing of the sort was said or implied.

MS

errrm . . . I'm afraid I can't think of any other interpretation of the quoth below. The way the sentences are constructed and follow on from each other: (1) Some members are fat, (2.1) they have opinions, (2.2) but their body somehow negates those opinions. (Another interpretation of sentence number 2 might be that having the "classic" frame gives credence to an opinion re: menswear.)

mister7 said:
not to sound mean about some of the other loungers, but I'm sure a lot of them would kill to have the dimension of their chest exceed that of their waist. Opinions are one thing, but having a decent frame to display it on is entirely another.

Though i agree it takes guts to post pictures of oneself and ask for criticism. I have found, however (and i'm aother regular poster of pictures of myself), that the criticism here is more likely to be constructive than the blazing nastiness encountered on most of the rest of the internet.

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I would agree with BK...most of the criticisms that I've seen have been attempts to nudge in the "right" direction.
Many of the comments that I've seen regarding Stanleyvanburen's attire have been about his sometimes garish/clashing color combinations and how ties and collars affect the perception of his face. Rarely has there been a comment regarding the fit of his suits, so I don't know why the chest-waist ratio concept was even a part of the equation, although I will be first to admit guilt that I've commented on the fit of his suits. We have a very similar frame, and I understand that it's difficult to find clothes that are flattering, especially at the RTW level. That is why I tend to buy vintage or go custom (due to the accessibility of it in my present location)
To be perfectly frank, and tell me if I'm out of line, but his face shape, which is rather top heavy, and his long neck make him a difficult fit, and that is why we are sometimes a little harsh with our words. We are just being constructive towards what would probably suit Stanley the best, and are looking out for his best interests.

mister7

Familiar Face
I agree most statements are positive here, mine included! Perhaps you are looking too hard for some sort of implied insult out of my positive statement. Cheers! MS

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mr. Rover said:
To be perfectly frank, and tell me if I'm out of line, but his face shape, which is rather top heavy, and his long neck make him a difficult fit
Yes, Stanley would benefit greatly from the services of a competent shirtmaker. I would suggest that he see Freddie Vandecasteele, a top shirtmaker in his area, and have one well fitted shirt made which he then can send off to Asia to be copied if he chooses to keep costs down.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mister7 said:
I agree most statements are positive here, mine included! Perhaps you are looking too hard for some sort of implied insult out of my positive statement.

mister7 said:
not to sound mean about some of the other loungers, but.......
:rolleyes:

StanleyVanBuren

Jovan said:
I like the most recent picture. Are you double wrapping the four in hand?

Nope.

Jovan said:
Indeed. Where did you get the tie? It looks like something Brooks Brothers or J. Crew would make.

Bingo. ;)

Feraud said:
I am glad to see you branching out and trying a different tie knot. This one suits you.

Thanks, but I actually don't like it as much. It's too commonplace for my tastes, usually. But I'll tie one every now and again as I also like to mix it up a bit.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Commonplace or not, it suits you alot better than those humongous babies' head knots. Dressing stylishly and classically with a knot that suit your face will make a better impression, in my opinion, than one that makes you stand out as a fashion victim.

StanleyVanBuren

Dagwood said:
I like it. Shirt, tie and jacket look great! Who makes each? Can you post a full body view?

The black suit and white/blue check shirt are both Banana Republic.

The tie is some Macys brand I grabbed in a hurry one time when I needed a solid black tie & didn't want to spend a lot of money. I forget the exact make.

The BR shirt is circa 2005 and has a double button collar. For awhile, they were making a variety of shirts with this same moderate spread and double button collar with the higher-than-usual stance. Now I go into one of their stores and see nothing like them. :( Luckily I have a couple others.

mister7

Familiar Face
Wow, that second photo is a great combination! I like green a lot and its actually pretty darn hard to combine with a lot of other colors. Also, the all stripes motif really works! I didn't like the first shirt just because of the interaction of the stripes with the other elements, and I would not have thought that 3 striped elements would combine so well. You have a good eye! Roll on over those haters, brother! MS

Jovan

Suspended
StanleyVanBuren said:
The BR shirt is circa 2005 and has a double button collar. For awhile, they were making a variety of shirts with this same moderate spread and double button collar with the higher-than-usual stance. Now I go into one of their stores and see nothing like them. :( Luckily I have a couple others.
Oh they still make them, I saw a couple in a pique fabric today. I would be interested, except they make their shirts with really low armholes. I guess "Modern Fit" is pretty much on the dot. :(

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Sadly, that's why I don't have many RTW shirts in the closet anymore even though they sometimes have the best fabrics....even a Ralph Lauren shirt, which is considered relatively closer to vintage, has these low slung armholes. It feels really gross when worn with a vintage suit. (But for the sake of style, I do it anyway)
Stanley, you may want to try some of the Italian companies...I think I've seen the double button high collar that you need there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe