Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's Gentlemen's Etiquette

Derek WC

Banned
These young women may not be waiting for you to offer your hand, they may just not have shaking hands in their learned behaviours.

Good point there. I hadn't really learned hand shaking etiquette until last summer (Also before I got into the Golden Era) when I visited family in Wisconsin from my Grandpa.

Talbot

One Too Many
One old school etiquette rule I find tedious these days (in regards to meeting women) is the one where a man is not supposed to shake a woman's hand unless she offers her hand first.

Shaking their hand when they haven't offered it doesn't really work.

Believe me, I tried.

Come to think of it, it didn't work for Larry Fine either...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A woman who approaches a man is a hussy, not a lady!

P, I hope you typed this with tongue firmly planted in cheek! In my adult life I have, in the proper social context approached men to engage them in conversation, and will even ask them to dance- if in an applicable situation. I usually as a way to introduce myself, will offer my hand in a handshake position while looking them in the eyes, tell my name and ask for thiers. I always get my hand shaken back and given their name in reply, more often than not with an added "very pleased to meet you.", or as it was the case just this past Saturday evening, a comment was also made about my firm, strong handshake. I find that Gentlemen are flattered and appreciative of a Lady (I have never been treated as anything else by a man) that notices them and finds them interesting enough to want to meet them and talk with them.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
One old school etiquette rule I find tedious these days (in regards to meeting women) is the one where a man is not supposed to shake a woman's hand unless she offers her hand first.

If the man initiated by offering his hand in a handshake position and introduced himself thusly, I would respond by shaking it - and not see it as rude, forward, or inappropriate, as I do that myself.

Foofoogal

Banned
------------------------
This is the one I hold on to the most. Drives me nuts when men stick out their hand first. I get ecstatic when I meet an older man and he knows the drill.

I think since society correctness (sic) took away my Honey, Sugar and Darling I hold on to this one for dear life.

Last edited:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I grew up thinking that women didn't shake hands, except when passing the peace in church. It has only been since starting work in offices that I have begun to (and I usually offer my hand because it irritates me when a handshake is assumed between and not with me - and worse, when the men shake hands with each other but try to kiss me). These young women may not be waiting for you to offer your hand, they may just not have shaking hands in their learned behaviours.

In business/workplace I don't believe it is ever acceptable for kissing to take place. I always shake hands with the men and with a woman only if she offers her hand. I believe this has always been the etiquette to wait for the lady to offer her hand first. A few years ago a female work colleague/friend mentioned that I only shook hands with one woman (there were no men in the office) when being introduce. I replied "that's because she offered it to me"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A gentleman does nothing to make the people around him feel uncomfortable or inferior.

There's a story about a nouveau-riche type being invited to an old-money dinner party, and having no idea what to do with the finger bowl. So he shrugged, and drank it. His host saw him do this, and rather than criticise him for it, he drank his own. That's a true gentleman in action.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's a true gentleman in action.
Sure, but now you've got a guy drinking out of finger bowls for the rest of his life or even worse you've started a trend.

Brings to mind......

[video=youtube;1LV0ondJXMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LV0ondJXMs[/video]

Last edited:

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
That is an awkward situation. While the host may be a gentleman, some of his guests may not have been paying attention to his gesture. Now the guest is wondering why everyone else has their fingers in their 'water' bowls.

Difficult to excuse yourself and ask your guest to accompany you out of ear shot of the others without raising at least a few eyebrows.

As a host or a guest I hope I never find myself in that spot.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Now fifty words, Derek: A finger bowl is a bowl of water, usually with lemon or flower petals, which is used for rinsing one's fingers in between courses in a multiple course meal. It is typically served before the dessert course, on a doily on top of the dessert plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe