Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s-50s British Suit Trouser photo resource

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Loving this thread!

But as for too high a waist, yes, modern women generally cant stand it.

I think this still from RagingBull shows that Pesci looks like he has no torso...
422407063_0a1643a674.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
iammatt said:
... but high pants just seem to lack any sex appeal whatsoever.

controversial. are you talking about super-high, scooped-up, fish-tail backed trousers or just 40s height trousers in general ?

i'd like to hear some female lounge member's opinions on this.

iammatt

Familiar Face
herringbonekid said:
controversial. are you talking about super-high, scooped-up, fish-tail backed trousers or just 40s height trousers in general ?

Not really controversial as much as it is just opinion. I know that there are a lot of reasons to wear them that way, but to me they look like they take away from the natural proportions of the body and that is what I think looks good in general.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
iammatt said:
Not really controversial as much as it is just opinion.

don't worry, just my dry sense of humour. ;)

i agree that the one's on Joe Pesci above look bad. but the rest of his outfit is doing nothing for him either. i suspect it's true that most modern women hate them, but most 40s-fanatic women (who get 'little old women' comments) will like them. we are in a niche market.

i disagree with your natural proportion idea. high-waisted trousers sit after all on the 'natural' waist... the narrowest area of the torso. i see loads of people in low-rise trousers that make them look short legged, no-arsed, and long of torso.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
herringbonekid said:
i disagree with your natural proportion idea. high-waisted trousers sit after all on the 'natural' waist... the narrowest area of the torso. i see loads of people in low-rise trousers that make them look short legged, no-arsed, and long of torso.

What about men for whom the narrowest part of their torso is their chest?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Like in raging Bull... some people look a bit silly and some people like in it happened one night look masterful. I myself like the shelf of the high waisted trousers. It's just a good feeling to know your pants aren't riding down... they are right at the natural waist.

I nee more high back trousers.

iammatt said:
My problem with very highwaisted pants is that they look terrible when viewed from the front. The person looks like he has no upper body, which is not particularly flattering. I know that there are many other reasons to wear them, and if you never open your jacket it really doesn't matter, but high pants just seem to lack any sex appeal whatsoever.

This is why the Brit trousers work so well. They are normal waist height at the front (at the navel or an inch-1.5 inch above: standard vintage) and rise to the back for the warmth/comfort effect. This is one of the things i love about 'em.

And of course, we must remember that these trousers were designed to be worn with waistcoats so the torso length issue is moot. Even British sports trousers had lower waists for just this reason.

Let's see some more British trouser features!

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
some early-mid 50s ones:

watchpockets2.jpg

as Bk noted, the cut is virtually identical to the 40s. sometimes the legs are even wider. high backs become less popular.

(i get the feeling English menswear was faltering around this period. the lush heavy fabrics of the 40s are replaced by lighter-weight scratchier fabrics. designers seem to not know whether to keep on doing the 40s or embrace a new more youthful look. they offer a lot of lame copies of American and European styles as the 50s progresses).

benstephens

Practically Family
Those trousers I posted were 1938 Baron, must have missed the '8' whilst typing the reply!

I have relatively short legs, so really like trousers that are higher in the waist, they make my legs look longer and more in proportion with my Torso.

Ben

Miss Sis

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:

Being the 'other half' of Mr Stephens, and a female lounger, I feel I can put my 2 cents worth in!

Yes, high waisted trousers couldn't really be described as having sex appeal. By that I mean REALLY high waisted, not just above the waist. But it does sometimes help balance out a long torso or short legs, putting a man more visually in proportion.

Certainly no gentleman would take off his jacket in public anyway, so seeing them isn't really an issue. The nice thing is the trousers don't interupt the line of the waistcoat. Mr Ben and I have had this discussion on more than one occasion and agree it is a good thing.

Also in British weather, higher waists keep you warmer. ;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
HBK, people don't know what is high waisted these days!

Ben has ones that come halfway up his back - that's high waisted.

I don't consider most vintage trousers to be that high, actually. And they are fine. More than attractive enough. I'd rather a gent in vintage than nasty trousers displaying their underwear, Thank You!

Jovan

Suspended
Maybe the fob pockets with flaps haven't come back, but the fob pocket itself has as a detail on chinos from J. Crew, Gap, etc. I kind of like it. I suspect most who shop there don't know what they really are for, however.

Good to have a female opinion on high rise trousers. I personally never go above the navel, like so. This height, to me, is sexy on both men and women.

ewan_mcgregor7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe