Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
Well, you mentioned killer stuff that came from an insane estate.
You started all this.

Or are you just too close to all the violence to accept your hand in it?

mike

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
What about just pinching really hard?

Or buying them a really inappropriate present, like naming a section of a street after them in some random country half way around the world. That would drive a kid nuts. They completely wouldn't appreciate it and it would cost some unbelievable amount of money.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
No, but violence indirectly pays the bills. I'd condone murder for a pair of these:
bullboots.jpg

And I expect my White's to be around when I kick the bucket in fifty years or so, D.V.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mattfink said:
Ok, calm down...here they are. 1920's kidskin bootes:

P1013629.jpg
Killer boots. I have a very similar pair of unknown vintage and origin that I got deadstock many years ago. I always suspected they were 1920's.
I was thinking of sanding off the black paint on the soles like Marineabilly did with his SAs. Should I, or would it be wrong to mess with true vintage?

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Stacy Adams Madison Boots

They had these on sale at one of our local shoe outlet places a few months back. I think they were only like 60-70 dollars. I have always thought about picking up a pair, but never did. Seeing Marineabilly's pair makes think they might be worth it-- great work, sir. I'd like to see a brown pair de-sheened with sanded sole-edges.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Killer boots. I have a very similar pair of unknown vintage and origin that I got deadstock many years ago. I always suspected they were 1920's.
I was thinking of sanding off the black paint on the soles like Marineabilly did with his SAs. Should I, or would it be wrong to mess with true vintage?

Thanks Flat-top....thinking of doing the sanding bit if I decide to keep them. They are super tough. Banana peel bottoms, not so good for the winter so they'll await the spring time before wearing.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Doug C said:
Hey Martineabilly.. I've said it here before but I personally think the SA madison's are a little under-rated. I originally based that statement on a pair of vintage ones that I owned. The leather didn't seem all that bad to me then.. I suppose the more recent ones could use a poorer quality leather. I sold those because they were much narrower than a modern size D, do you find these to be narrow(er) than what you normally take? I've been thinking about getting more (maybe the brown this time) and was thinking about getting them in EE or something. Also, how did you go about removeing the black edgeing paint from the top of the welt where the white stitching is? Those boots look great BTW. I've searched these at Zappos several times in the past and am trying to rememeber if they even offer the reg. leather (non-Kid) ones ?

Doug C

Doug, the welt was never painted. Only the sides were and there is the lightest coat of black paint on it. If one doesn't have a dremel, sand paper would do just fine...it'll just take longer.

Speaking of the price of tea in China...Mattfink, did I say "Score!!!" yet :D

mattfink

Practically Family
Thanks Marineabilly! Got a good chunk of 50's sweatshirts, some denim and some killer bags out of the same sale.

mattfink

Practically Family
matrioshka said:
I just got these Monday. Whites semi-dress, black with a black welt, Vibram 700 sole. Yeah, I wanted them blacked out :)

whites2.jpg

whites1.jpg

I've lost my mind. I never thought I'd drop that much on a pair of shoes. They are comfortable, though....

M

Any update on your boots? Wear? Comfort?

mattfink

Practically Family
Doug C said:
maybe not 30s & 40s, and well.. maybe not even boots :) but has anyone noticed that cultizm are now offering a Red Wing work SHOE. They come with the white crepe soles (like construction boots, Irish Setters, etc) in a full welt. Offered in a mohagany and a black. I love 'em but the price is killing me. http://www.cultizm.com/product_info...-BOOTS---8109-OXFORD-MAHAGONY-ORO-IGINAL.html

Doug C

Didn't notice them....not a huge fan myself of Irish Setter, but they are pretty neat.

Doug C

Practically Family
Oh I absolutely agree about the Irish Setters, I've never like them but alot of folks do go on about them. The white crepe sole is not my favorite on a boot, but somehow I feel that it works when done on a shoe, sort of strikes a balance IMHO. Sometimes boots are just a bit much (like in July), there are times when a chunky work shoe would be better. I remember seeing a scan of a Red Wing catalog from last year or so, showing what looked to be pictures of shoe versions of their Gentlemen Travelers. That would be my preference for sure. But who the hell would be carrying them? I wonder if Bakers would consider offereing them.. they've jumped into the market with both feet on other stuff.

k449

New in Town
I've got a pair of Warehouse cordovan horsehide boots on order:

http://ameblo.jp/ware-house/entry-10422304524.html

They make great quality boots, and they go up to a US size 11 (and fit more like an 11.5). They also run a little on the wide side. I can definitely vouch for their quality as I have another pair of boots in horsehide produced under their label in size 11. Yes, they are pricey, but they are worth the money. The boots I have from them are the most comfortable I have ever had, and that includes my White's, Wescos and Red Wings . No break in time whatsoever and fit like a glove. Plus, if you want Cordovan boots, it's Alden, C and J or Trickers bespoke, and none of those in a true workboot style (except maybe the Alden Indy).

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
mattfink,

To answer your question: So far, so good. I haven't had to do anything except wear them. Very comfortable. I'm very pleased with them.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld