Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Me too! They're an inexpensive eBay purchase. I'll keep my fingers crossed. They're the Sturgis model. I 'm not crazy about the zipper on the back but I like the overall pattern alot. My interest was piqued when I saw a similar (sans zipper) pair of Russells from the 1950's fetch over $650 about a month ago.
Generally I stick with Red Wing moc-toed boots, tho when I find deadstock or lightly worn older work boots I'll pick 'em up if affordable. I've been wearing a pair of 1950's Knapps for a couple years that are probably the most comfortable boots I've owned yet. I also have a pair of 1940's high-lacing Bass gum-soles that I like plenty much as well. A pair of Wesco "Boss" boots are next on my hit list. I really like Shamus' brown ones so I'm bracing myself to hunker down and pay the full price for a custom pair ((((shudder)))).

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Russell Mocs

I have the Imperials and have been quite happy with them. I had them made to my measurements. They fit great except the heel slipped. I sent them back and now they are wonderful. One of my feet is not quite 1/2 size larger than the other so until I had boots made, nothing quite fit. Now that they have my information, I will be able to call and order anything they make. I think the Cavalier will be my next choice.

A friend tried a model with the zipper and liked them but not a much as the regular slip ons or the laceups.

Let me know how you like them.

I am also interested in a pair of White's or Drew's. I hear they are great custom or off the shelf boots.

jake431

Practically Family
Sefton said:
Jake,
The web site says that It'll take 2 weeks for the catalog to arrive so I guess it'll be more than a month before I get my hands on those boots. I'll post pics as soon as I can. I like the fact that they can be rebuilt...gotta get my money's worth out of 'em.

Did you get the boots yet?

-Jake

Mike K.

One Too Many
I think the military cap-toe boots (GI service shoes) are about as authentic as they get. Unfortunately, I have only come across websites whose boots are made on an E last. Can't they make 'em in regular?

Another option for you is Chippewa boots. They date back to the early 1900s if I recall. Their 6" work boots are just the ticket and you can get them with or without the cap toe. Check sportsmansguide.com or L.L. Bean. Here's what mine look like.... Also, I don't know the authenticity of the speed hook lacing, but any good cobbler can easily install eyelets.

68277m3_ts.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I was dismayed to find Hercules denim work pants with ELASTIC (!) waistbands for big fellers advertised in an early 30's Sears catalog. Apparently the slovenly trends crytalized in the 80's started much earlier than previously thought.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Can someone that has had both Chippewa and Red Wing boots tell me which one they prefer. I'm looking at the cap toe model shown above from Chippewa and possibly some like the style 952 from Red Wing. I love the Red Wing 1908 but they are a bit out of my price range!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Though Chippewa and Red Wing are now both owned by Justin, I'd give the slight edge to Red Wing, in general. Chippewa makes a very nice engineer's boot.
That said, as much as I love modern Red Wings (I wear them on a near daily basis), I recently bought a pair of deadstock with tags 1950's Big Mac boots (made by Red Wing for J.C. Penny's) and there is a distinct difference in quality. The stitching on the 50's boots is not only more precise, but there are at least two or three more stitches per inch. The leather on the older boots is of a finer grade as well, as are the soles.

Speedster

Practically Family

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I searched high and low for vintage work-boots for many months after seeing that old Sears Catalog page that Marc C. posted. Cap toes, leather soles and seven eyelets tall. I just could not find any except for maybe the brown russets. One day I was digging in my closet and looking at my old jump boots and thought, "why can't I find some work books like this but shorter?" Then I remembered my wife had just had a pair of shoes brought back to life by this custom boot and shoe place that's been around since the 20's. And for just $40 they expertly trimmed my old black jump boot down to 7 eyelets, you would never know that they were not originally made that way. Then I located some brown jump boots in my size for a good cost and had them shortened. So my quest for vintage work-boots is over! I've been wearing both pairs for several months with no problems.:)

Ain't got any real expertise here, but I do own a pair of Red Wing boots I bought new when I was a senior in high school. (I'm a member of the class of '74.) Those shoes got worn pretty much daily for a couple of years and then for hiking trips and yard work and such. I painted a couple of houses and a '47 Dodge school bus while wearing those shoes; a bit of the paint is still on 'em. These years they get used only when I expect to be tromping through snow or mud. I pulled 'em out of the closet the day before Christmas, when we headed over the mountains to visit with family over there. It was snowing in the passes, and it snowed quite a bit over in the small town where my sister and my folks live. Yup, we had to chain up. And I was happy to have my old Red Wings.
I don't know if they make 'em as well as they used to, but man, they sure did make 'em good back then.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I have had lots and lots of boot experience lately:

At The Front Service Shoes and Para Boots:

Made in China but these are excellent boots, They broke in quickly, only problem is the right one on both pairs has developed a squeak, any suggestions to getting it out?

What Price Glory British Officer Boots:

Smooth soled with heel plate: stiff as hell, any suggestions on ways to soften these up a bit? Good footwear otherwise, lovin' that clack sound.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Thanks BT! So Stovall is similar to the word boot? In which languages? My heritage is traced back to 1665 London so I never really thought about my name having a definition.

I also attributed the Sears ad to Marc C. when it was you who posted it. My error. And I forgot about the photos of your work boot collection. It looks like I got pretty close!

And here is the ad again for comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe