Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 1/2 or 4 Ounce Leather for a New Motorcycle Jacket??

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm finalizing a half-belt from Johnson Leather for riding on my scoot and am deciding among some kind of cowhide, not horsehide. I have a jacket in the same finished 3 1/2 oz. leather used in San Francisco police jackets and I like it; but premium makers trumpet that they use 4 oz. This new jacket will have a merino lining in the body and sleeves so maybe overall weight is a concern.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Offhand I would think that 3.5 oz, would be adequate for your needs on a scooter and offer greater versatility when not riding.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
In that usage scenario, I'd easily vote for the 3.5 oz. over the 4 oz., especially with that particular lining.

Another way of looking at it: if you go with the 4 oz. hide along with that lining, I'm guessing that you'll be looking at jacket weighing in at over 8 pounds easily.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
In that usage scenario, I'd easily vote for the 3.5 oz. over the 4 oz., especially with that particular lining.

Another way of looking at it: if you go with the 4 oz. hide along with that lining, I'm guessing that you'll be looking at jacket weighing in at over 8 pounds easily.

Once again you've been a lifesaver. Case closed!

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a 3.5 oz. steer from Johnson Leathers. It is a very well made jacket that is soft and supple. I bought it for a street jacket. I would not want to wear it as a MC jacket, as I like a thicker leather for riding. I also have a 4 oz. steer from Johnson. It is what they sell to the Japanese market. It is a tough leather. Had it for 9 months, and it is just now getting broken in. It is the toughest leather I have in my collection. That is the one I would go with. Scooters hit the pavement just as motorcycles do, and their riders also skitter across the asphalt. Best to be protected.

The lining will add very little weight to the jacket. My heavy Johnson Leathers comes in at about 7 pounds in a size 46 (which is a true 42).

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have a 3.5 oz. steer from Johnson Leathers. It is a very well made jacket that is soft and supple. I bought it for a street jacket. I would not want to wear it as a MC jacket, as I like a thicker leather for riding. I also have a 4 oz. steer from Johnson. It is what they sell to the Japanese market. It is a tough leather. Had it for 9 months, and it is just now getting broken in. It is the toughest leather I have in my collection. That is the one I would go with. Scooters hit the pavement just as motorcycles do, and their riders also skitter across the asphalt. Best to be protected.

The lining will add very little weight to the jacket. My heavy Johnson Leathers comes in at about 7 pounds in a size 46 (which is a true 42).

Thanks. I'll talk to Alan tomorrow. I guess weight will be the decider. I know ForestForTheTrees has a very similar jacket so, when he says 8 pounds plus, I have to pay serious attention.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
For reference, my M-200 based JL with 3.75 oz hide and a basic lining weighs in at 6.5 pounds and is a size 42 (not sure of the true size, but probably close to a 41). Jackets based on the M-200L use even more leather than the M-200 and that particular lining does indeed add some weight, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see that jacket constructed with the 4 oz. hide to weigh in at 8 pounds or more.

Yes, you can go down just as hard on a scooter as you can on a motorcycle, However, the biggest point of failure on a jacket during an accident is usually the stitching. Now if you're travelling at an excessively high rate of speed and sliding for a very lengthy distance, you might go all the way through a 3.5 oz. piece of quality hide, but I doubt it. A 4 oz. hide might buy you some extra peace of mind, but if your really worried about protection in an accident, I'd recommend investigating the forcefield products to go underneath whichever hide is chosen.

Honestly, my best advice is to check with the master (Alan) as he too rides, and obviously knows his jackets.

John Warr

Familiar Face
We reckon that 1.5mm is about as thin as you want to go for road riding. Now my calculations estimate that as being 3½ to 4 oz. Double leather on elbows & shoulders. As
ForestForTheTrees says, stitching is usually the weak point. Don't matter how thick the leather is if the seams have failed.

See http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/BYSON%20LEATHER%20AboutLeathers.htm#%3Cb%3EStitching%20and%20construction%3C/b%3E

Third para down (jump doesn't work ATM)

Does now. Jump to "Stitching and construction"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Peacoat: I have a heavy black steerhide from JL, too. I wonder if it's the same leather you have. Mine has a black overdye with almost a grey undercoat. Anyway, it's quite heavy and grains beautifully, but christ is it heavy. I would only wear it for riding (if I rode). It feels lighter on my body than when I'm holding it, however, just because the fit is so good.

NDR

New in Town
I've been working with Craig from Johnson Leathers to recreate a vintage TT Leathers biker jacket (think a cross between a Lewis Leathers Monza and the Lightning) but with Forcefield Armor in the back, shoulders and elbows.

I ended up going with the 3.75-4oz naked cowhide myself.

Peacoat

Bartender
I think mine is the weight just under the one you have. It is about a 4 oz., but extremely tough. The one Johnson uses for the Japanese market.

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi Peacoat, I am seriously considering a Johnson Leather in that same hide. Alan said it has a brown underlay. The sample seems very stiff. What are your thoughts? Cant remember if he said it was steer or horse? It is also a vegtable tanned hide. Are those good to get wet? This will be a dedicated motorcycle jacket. I always thought chrome tanned was better for riding?

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
roadking04,

I believe that the hide you are describing is the same hide that Alan built my first jacket out of which is Horween's Chromexcel 3.75 cowhide with a black overdye. Chromexcel leather is combination tanned meaning that it is first chrome tanned, then vegetable tanned.

NDR

New in Town
Hi All

Just received word from Alan that my jacket is ready. I asked him to snap a couple of pics and here it is.

3.75-4oz naked cow hide with Forcefield armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.

8699728864_95cdbc4e18_z.jpg

8699729118_b282faee35_z.jpg

Lando

Practically Family
Hi All

Just received word from Alan that my jacket is ready. I asked him to snap a couple of pics and here it is.

3.75-4oz naked cow hide with Forcefield armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.

8699728864_95cdbc4e18_z.jpg

8699729118_b282faee35_z.jpg

That's a pretty awesome jacket NDR.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Shizer,that IS a heavy duty jacket, looks the business mate. I would be throwing myself off the bike at the bituman for a laugh. Good job! Keen to hear how it breaks in....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82