Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$2bill?

Haversack

One Too Many
Back in the Golden Age, Two-Dollar Bills, or "Deuces", were considered bad luck by gamblers. (Perhaps in part to "Deuce" being a euphamism for "Devil"). If you received one in the course of a game of poker, you had to tear off one of the corners of the bill to avert their bad luck. If the bill already had all four of its corners torn off, you had to rip the bill up entirely to keep the bad luck away.

Haversack.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Being married to a compulsive gambler who has duped me and my late father out of 1000s of dollars, I would think any money recieved at a poker game is good luck. :( :eek:fftopic: I have heard another Puerto Rican superstition, if anyone is interested: I was cutting my friend's hair outside when she asked me not to let any of if get blown away. It was considered bad luck if a bird used it for it's nest. Who knows why? Also, my dad said the $2 bill bad luck rap got started when the bettors used them at the $2 window at the races. Here's my tip: don't bet. Wow! You've got two dollars!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
Actually a couple years ago, I noticed a dapper swingdancer at Swing46 who would tip w/ $2bills. It was a nice touch.
I really hadnt seen one in years & didnt realize they were still in circulation.

I have a friend who only tips in $2 bills, but he works the 'creepy middle aged man' angle.

LD

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
And what would people have to reference when I tell them I'm the one with the copper-colored hair?
Copper colored gal o' mine
Love ya cuz you're so refined
Will ya always be my clingin' vine
Copper colored gal o' mine

musi-04-s.jpg
-Cab Calloway

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
Here is a interesting thought, we all know currency devaules over time, a one dollar 50 years ago bought more, etc.

so it is prudent to say, the $2 bill WILL replace the one dollar bill, as the currency is worth less and less.

..and has anyone heard the proposal to elimiate the penny?
The penny no longer facilitates commerce
Inflation has eaten away at the value of the penny to such a degree that it no longer facilitates commerce. The fact that the penny is still in circulation does not mean that it is useful. If the half penny were minted then it too would be in circulation, even though it would be nothing but a nuisance. The half penny was eliminated in 1858, when it was worth over ten times what the penny is worth today. Assuming that the timing was correct before, this means that we should have eliminated the penny fifty years ago. The penny is now worth so little that nobody even picks it up off the ground, despite the old "lucky penny" adage.

Even if you agree that the penny doesn't serve any useful function, you may still argue that it is not worth the hassle of retiring it. A reasonable question is therefore: What harm is caused by continuing to mint the penny?

1) Waste of money: The US mint produces about 7 billion pennies every year (roughly half of all coins made each year), at a cost of $100 million dollars. About one-third of this money is used to pay for the zinc that pennies are made out of, which is why the zinc industry is lobbying to keep the penny in production.

2) Waste of time: Most cash transactions involve the exchange of pennies, leading to an increase in the time for the transaction to take place. The National Association of Convenience Stores and Walgreen's drug store chain estimated that handling pennies adds 2 to 2.5 seconds to each cash transaction (remember that we are including the occasional customer who spends 30 seconds looking for the penny in his pocket). Let us estimate that each person goes through three of these transactions per day and that on average there is one person waiting in line (making for a total of three people's time wasted in each transaction). We can then calculate that the presence of pennies wastes (3 transactions/day) X (2.25 seconds/transaction) X (3 people per transaction) = 20 seconds per day. Probably only about half of the wasted time is directly connected with a cash transaction (the other time is associated with counting pennies etc), giving a total of 40 wasted seconds per day per person. This may not seem like a lot, but it translates to 40 X 365 / 3600 = 4 hours per person per year. If each person's time is worth $15/hour then we arrive at the conclusion that each person is losing $60 per year, at a cost to the nation of over $15 billion per year. To give a rough benchmark for how important this is, consider that this is roughly what the federal government spends per year on welfare for the poor.

JohnnyL

New in Town
Just received my first $2 back as change in a Wendy's just last week. Had seen them before but never received. Kid behind counter asked if I minded getting one back as change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally