Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20s Navy Leather Jackets

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I am trying to find photos of late 20s early 30s U.S. Navy Leather aviator jackets. I have found plenty of the WWI long leather jackets from the early 20s and the Navy high pocket version of the A1. There must be some in between jackets. I know that the so called G8 jacket was never a real issue jacket, they would look nice with some changes though! Thanks for any help.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Navy

Still not much luck! Are U.S. Navy Aviator jackets from the 20s that rare? Even photos seem to be far between.

bleujacket34

New in Town
Yeah they really are. Because of the post WW1 military reductions the militaries of the world got alot smaller. The US Navy in the 20s and into the 30s was still not very large at all. Alot of experimenting going on with planes, the first carrier (USS Langley CV-1), and etc. The number of Naval Aviators was pretty tiny. Sadly finding any material culture from the US Navy in the 20s and 30s is rare let alone Naval Aviation. I will dig through my records to see what I can find for pictures.

Andrew

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The M69 coat was first issued in the 1941 fiscal year (July 1940-June 1941) with the first contract to Willis and Geiger. Your G&F coat is a 1943 contract. I hope this helps.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Treetopflyer said:
I always thought that the A-1 was used by the Navy in the 20’s and into the 30’s.
It was their own spec - BuAer 37J1 - based largely on the A-1, but with the mid-chest pockets and several different knit collars. These were varsity style (non-buttoning); single button; single snap; and double button.

That is one beautiful M-69! Is it an original or repro?
Original beyond doubt. These would be impossible to repro for under $1,000 a throw.

The goatskin is in huge panels - no piecing like leather coats today - and the lining is pure alpaca. The finished coat weighs as much as a pre-scuba deep-sea diving suit - naval aviators wearing them had to be lowered into their cockpits by deck crane. lol

OK, I'm kidding about the last part. But they're pretty darn heavy, especially considering they're all small. Dinerman's is the only known size 44 in captivity - and that's probably garment measure, not a chest size.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hi, Dinerman: I have one of these coats, sans wool collar

or identifying label. I acquired it from another leather jacket enthusiast, who in turn got it via his Russian wife from the family of a WWII Russain flyer. My version of the coat is apparently lend-lease stock, given or sold to the Russians during the days before we entered the war. The grain is goat; the lining is intact. I just had brand new buttons put on.

2888744930104585873S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2949951340104585873S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
37J1 Pix

I seem to have left the big question unanswered. Yes, there were pictures, but they tend to be small ones of large groups.

Here are some visiting dignitaries (wearing the jackets and helmets!!) with VP-4 at its Pearl Harbor base sometime in the early 30s. It's been suggested that Floyd Gibbons, globe-trotting correspondent, is at far left.
2405852554_ccb401f9a1_o.jpg

Unknown devil dog of the air, late 20s.
A-132808004.jpg

Cmdr. Alger Dresel, skipper of USS Macon ZRS-5, in his control cabin in 1934.
2369669255_9848529a9c_o.jpg

Lieut. Richard Burke, USCG, air-sea rescue pioneer, 1935.
Uniform_Burke_3.jpg

Chow time aboard Akron ZRS-4, 1931.
g462222.jpg

Lindbergh with airedales, September, 1928.
a1k.jpg

Unidentified group, probably pre 1930.
A-1BW.jpg

Finally - a pic from a far east collector-type, who has craftily erased any clues as to its origin, but which seems to show a 37J1A - the zippered Bedford Cord spec - but in leather. Possibly olive drab leather! :eek:
Color shot and yellow plane, plus 1pc goggle rubber, indicate a stateside trainee in the early war years.
ref3.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hell Divers (1931)

Clark Gable and Wallace Beery as Chiefs in VF-1 (the famous Top Hatters).
They gear up at about 2:20 into the clip.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGRZHbIDR-s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kGRZHbIDR-s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Hell_Divers_Frank_Wead_and_Clark_Gable_Sep1931.jpg

Gable and screenwriter Lt. Cmdr. Spig Wead between takes in San Diego.

fishmeok

Vendor
I prefer the higher Navy style pockets- I had thought the USN A-1's had a varsity style collar, but I see in the Akron pic one of the men has an AAC style knit collar. I'm more authentic than I thought:)
Cheers
Mark

CompDown871.jpg

CompDown866.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Lookin' sharp!

This is a fantastic coat.

Fletch said:
20s? Navy? Leather? I assume all three.
Anyway, it's Lieut. Burke USCG again, wearing a B-1 over his greens tunic. About 1935.
Uniform_Burke_2.jpg

(I love this look - sorta proto-Battle of Britain.)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
20s Navy

I'm starting to see a pattern, it looks like the Navy started to issue leather jackets in the late 20s, in the short style culminating in there version of the A1. I think before that, it was like WWI, the pilots purchased their owen jackets. The enlisted crew and flying Petty Officers may have used issued cloth deck coats! If we could just find the Navy directives for the 20s!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
1941 in color

The film Dive Bomber - yet another screenplay by Spig Wead, who apparently had first crack at naval aviation pictures - was shot on location at NAS San Diego and aboard USS Enterprise in spring 1941.

Stars Errol Flynn, Fred MacMurray, and others are kitted out in the 37J1B jacket - the second generation green cloth garment. This one is not visibly ribbed like the Bedford cord 37J1A, so it might have been a tighter weave of Jungle Cloth, which was stout, windproof, and often wax-finished for extra water repellency. Perhaps the jackets worn by Cagney and O'Brien in 1935 were the same.

Also seen is a 2pc flight suit much like the B-2 jacket/A-2 trouser combo used by the Army in the early-mid 30s.

The goatskin M-422 had been put into production late in 1940, but might not have been available or okayed by the production folks.

37J1B
4293372429_7c9775281a_o.jpg

MacMurray, Ralph Bellamy, and Flynn on the flightline. Aircraft unidentified (why is it green?).

4293372341_c65b7ee938_o.jpg

MacMurray with the Grumman F3F he will use to test the aerial diving helmet(!) and pressure suit.

4293372393_aaf9124c03_o.jpg

MacMurray and Flynn (showing his stencil).

B-2 Suit
4294114106_acf37f51a4_o.jpg

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Enterprise's ready room in soundstage facsimile.

4293372555_56749c6f2d_o.jpg

MacMurray and Regis Toomey report to the flight surgeon.

4293372505_3283438384.jpg

Louis Jean Heydt and Toomey in the 1092 helmets and B-7 goggles.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
The film Dive Bomber ....

The goatskin M-422 had been put into production late in 1940, but might not have been available or okayed by the production folks.

Except in the start scenes on the carrier, I guess those ain't "actors"... ;)
cap8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld