Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1970's Movies

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Feraud said:
What a flashback. I haven't seen this one [The Mechanic] since the late 70s. Bronson was the man.

Speaking of Charles Bronson, the 1977 film Telefon comes to DVD May 19, 2009.

BTW, was TELEFON extensively advertised at its release? I was only six in 1977, but it seems like it was all over TV, or perhaps it's because the movie got plenty of rerun time in later years as a weekend feature on independent stations...

From IMDB:

Telefon director Don Siegel asked Charles Bronson to shave his trademark mustache. Bronson replied, "No mustache, no Bronson."

Another Charles Bronson movie from the 1970s that might be of interest to FLers is 1975's Hard Times, with Charlie Bronson slugging it out as a Depression-era brawler. James Coburn plays his manager. This is another of those movies that made the rounds on local TV stations, when there was such a thing.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
just_me said:
Belegnole - I was amazed at our similar taste in films. I was reading down your list and saying, "yup, yup, yup..." and then I came to a screeching halt when you listed the movie I consider the worst movie ever made. I hated it, hated it, hated it and I can't remember ever saying that about another movie. :eek:

ERASERHEAD. Worst piece of dreck I've ever seen. Torture to sit through. Atrocious, awful, horrendous, dreadful, and that's just for starters. I wanted to bang my head against a wall and run screaming from the theatre.
lol

lol, Well I did say stood out....

Eraserhead wasn't good in the way other movies are. In fact I think I did bang my head against a wall. The thing is that it made an impression, a very strong one. In fact the impression, the shock, the horror of the imagery obviously sticks with those who watched it. I that rather than say it was good I would say important. If in no other way than pushing the boundaries and allowing others to craft fine pieces within the new walls.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A good one to see, which came out in 1975 but was set in the 20s is called The Fortune - it was on TCM last night. Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson and in her first screen role, Stockard Channing. Great cars, great outfits, and I thought it was really funny.

At the time it was made, they thought IT was going to be the big popular movie on a 2 movie contract Beatty had. They were sure it was going to leave the other movie in the dust...and the other movie was Shampoo...and the rest they say is history.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Hey guys. Thank you for all the recommendations. Lots of folk with great tastes in movies here and I can learn quite a bit.

Next on my list to review is Robin Hood (animated, Disney), Annie Hall (because I'd never seen it before) and Chinatown, because it has been sitting on my DVR for months begging me to watch it again.

I love the 70s pretty much in general. Although, somehow I have never been the biggest Godfather fan. Does it not seem over melodramatic to anyone else? Haha. I'll still review it eventually.

I am definitely going to do everying McQueen and Elliot Gould movies I can get my hands on. Why those are my two favorite actors of the time... I don't know. I think it has to do with Robert Altman and Sam Pekinpah, who both have very similar directing styles.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
almost forgot to add Dawn Of The Dead(1978)

considered to be the greatest zed film of all time...

i found it to be somewhat dull but i guess it was ok...

WH1

Practically Family
my all time favorite western was in 1970. Monte Walsh starring Lee Marvin, Jack Palance (his best performance ever, IMHO) and Jean Moreau. A great western and film with a great theme song sung by Mama Cass. Totally different than most previous westerns. I recommend this one highly heads and shoulders above the version starring Tom Selleck which was good. Lee Marvin was outstanding in this and a great supporting cast.
Some other great westerns in the 1970's The Cowboys, with John Wayne, The Culpepper Cattle Company, True Grit, The Shootist, Will Penny with Charleton Heston. All good movies.

Not a western but an interesting movie The Omega Man with Heston.

Hondo

One Too Many
WH1 said:
my all time favorite western was in 1970. Monte Walsh starring Lee Marvin, Jack Palance (his best performance ever, IMHO) and Jean Moreau. A great western and film with a great theme song sung by Mama Cass. Totally different than most previous westerns. I recommend this one highly heads and shoulders above the version starring Tom Selleck which was good. Lee Marvin was outstanding in this and a great supporting cast.
Some other great westerns in the 1970's The Cowboys, with John Wayne, The Culpepper Cattle Company, True Grit, The Shootist, Will Penny with Charleton Heston. All good movies.

Not a western but an interesting movie The Omega Man with Heston.

Almost forgot that one, Will Penny, and of course John Waynes The Shootist, never did for give Bruce Dern for killing the Duke in The Cowboys.
I'm gonna go along with Dirty Harry and throw in Bruce Lees films.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
WH1 said:

Hondo said:
Almost forgot that one, Will Penny, and of course John Waynes The Shootist, never did for give Bruce Dern for killing the Duke in The Cowboys.

And don't forget 1971's Wild Rovers. A western directed by Blake Edwards. I've always preferred the older William Holden over the "Golden Boy" years. He only got better as an actor as he grew older; though I love him in STALAG 17.

Sidebar: Lee Marvin turned down 1969's The Wild Bunch in order to do Paint Your Wagon. William Holden got the role instead.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Zardoz! Who made the hyrdogen sulfide in chem class?!

Quigley Brown said:
Don't forget Sean Connery in 'Zardoz' (1974).

Whew! What a stinker! If Sean Connery took his acting career seriously, he'd be embarrassed by that one. I remember seeing it in college. The attractive naked girls got my interest, the rest was cringe-inducing. It was the first time I saw Charlotte Rampling (a marginally redeeming factor) who starred opposite Robert Mitchum in the no BS noir classic if the decade, "Farewell My Lovely".

Check out this still of Connery from the movie
mustache-wednesday-connery-please
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/07/16/mustache-wednesday-connery-please/

A much better effort on the erstwhile James Bond's part was 1975's "The Man Who Would Be King" starring opposite Michael Caine and Saeed Jaffrey, with a bit part as Rudyard Kipling by Christopher Plummer.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
A Clockwork Orange(1971) by Stanley Kubrick director extraordinaire! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

-"The Korova milk bar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or dencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence".-

Clockwork_orange_got_milk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe