Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1970's fedora?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Anyone here can show pictures and explain general characteristics of 1970s-made fedora? I read in one or some of the old threads / posting that fedoras from this period is not very "favorable"? Why?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
'70s fedoras. Just not my cup of tea.
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
:D :D :D with those pictures, now I can somewhat understand why these are not favorable among most members here :D :D :D

So are these "tweed trilbies" also from the 1970s?

Then how about felt stingies (2" or 1 7/8") made by Knox, Dobbs Stetsons, etc. are they from the 1970s as well?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
'70s fedoras. Just not my cup of tea.
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg

Give it a few years and there will probably be multiple threads, here, with posts by enthusiasts who want to collect those 70's hats. Not many of us will be on board with that genre, though. That's primarilly because we have been spoiled by something better! :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
J.T.Marcus said:
Give it a few years and there will probably be multiple threads, here, with posts by enthusiasts who want to collect those 70's hats. Not many of us will be on board with that genre, though. That's primarilly because we have been spoiled by something better! :D

You've been missing it... we're already seeing plenty of such hats posted here as victorious ebay wins.
A couple of summers ago, I picked up a nifty Borsalino box at a flea market for a couple dollars. Inside was a wool hat similar to the ones pictured. It went into the dumpster before I got back to the car. Now I see the same hat here in several "Look at my new Knox!" threads. You and I wouldn't exactly grab such a hat on the way out of a burning building, but they seem to have a following.

I don't see these as "hats" so much as "hats that were the nail in the coffin of hat wearing."

they are extremely popular right now in the UK. I saw one on sale - and with an interested potential purchaser - yesterday at £150. It was a green and mustard yellow houndstooth tweed Stetson of this vintage. I have very fond memories of my grandfather wearing such hats. They don't float my boat, but some people really seem to love them.

The store that has most of them sells them for £18-£25, and they get in the odd Borsalino, and some nice German 30s hats. But one has to dig through the 70s ones to get at them.

bk

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
If memory serves, I believe that Ashton Kutcher was seen wearing a very similar style in the Premiere Issue of our very own Classic Style magazine. Although I believe that the purpose was to illustrate the "Return of the Hat".

I'm not a fan of the '70s look, but if it is a stepping stone in bringing hats back then it may not be all bad (read "tolerable").

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
People sometimes seem to forget that this forum is
dedicated to the Golden Era and this section is for discussing
hats of that period or aesthetic. It should come as no
surprise that the folks here have no love of 70s style tweed rags.

That said, it should be remembered that a lot of very
good hats were made in the 70s. Borsalino made top
knotch hats throughout the 70s. Cavanagh still made
some good hats in the 70s, though possibly using older
felt (I have one, that I've posted before). And of course
there were still fine "bench made" hats.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I bought a Borsalino Allesandro in the late 70's and it was a very nice hat, cost me $95, which seemed like a lot of money for a hat at the time, but the same hat, some years later, was over $200 -- and was not as well made.

Still, you didn't see very many people wearing them.

karol

Jovan

Suspended
feltfan said:
People sometimes seem to forget that this forum is
dedicated to the Golden Era and this section is for discussing
hats of that period or aesthetic. It should come as no
surprise that the folks here have no love of 70s style tweed rags.

That said, it should be remembered that a lot of very
good hats were made in the 70s. Borsalino made top
knotch hats throughout the 70s. Cavanagh still made
some good hats in the 70s, though possibly using older
felt (I have one, that I've posted before). And of course
there were still fine "bench made" hats.
That's pretty much what I just said. lol

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
they are extremely popular right now in the UK. I saw one on sale - and with an interested potential purchaser - yesterday at £150. It was a green and mustard yellow houndstooth tweed Stetson of this vintage.

If my math is correct, that's more than $300.00 US! :eek:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
1970's

I think these hats look best when worn with a double-knit leisure suit. I hope is that one day they will come up with triple-knit.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
How about those stingy brims with "velour" finish, with hatband made of very much the same material as the felt? Are these from 1970s as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe