Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1932 again?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I remember reading about that. Those folks were at a complete loss as to what to do - boxed in in a way that's difficult even to imagine today. Farmers are normally a calm and pragmatic bunch, and yet here they were moved to out and out vigilantism.

I'm not sure I can fault them. They made a hell of a statement doing what they did, and they opened a lot of eyes to the idea that things ought to, and had to, change. In those times, that was real, raw courage.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
I hope "somewhere" is a ways out of Des Moines. There is a bleak sadness about so much of Des Moines (and I speak as a longtime Ames resident). I always thought one day it could become a little Cincinnati, choking on resentment and mistrust, and that the general lack of civic participation was both the underlying cause AND the reason it hadn't happened yet.

Astute observation, and certainly only the kind that can be given by someone that's been there long enough to know.

You're right on the money about lack of civic participation, mistrust and resentment. Unfortunately for Des Moines, some of the "corporate overlords" Miss 1929 mentioned have gotten a hold of the place now. It has its curses and blessings, but very much of our historical culture is eroding with lightning speed, and is being replaced with this odd, reimagined "utopia" that we're supposed to buy into. Rather than renovating old buildings, they're bringing them down for parking ramps; rather than celebrating any heritage, we're gloryifing nonexistent "clubs" and "nightlife"; rather than being a place with some class, or a hint of cohesion, it's turning into this hodge podge of other communities' highlights without any of the necessary underbelly that actually CREATES a community. It's plain weird.

But to address your concern: if a hot pile of brown stuff hits the twisting metal blades of a cooling apparatus, I will likely begin trekking out either north or west in search of an abandoned building to restart humanity. If things get that bad, I'll try to let you guys know before I go. :D

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I hear you Undertow.

I live in the south part of Minnesota. If the stuff really hits the fan, I'm fairly well stocked up with guns and munitions. But, I live in a real salt-of-the-earth community here (in my neighborhood) and I can't see everyone falling apart. Maybe I'm a little naive? [huh]

Lets all cross our fingers and hope it doesn't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter