Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 Helmets

Davep

One of the Regulars
Can you tell if any of these are WW2 proper liners?

helmetliners.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know, WWII liners had a striped brown, or green and black finish inside (I'm looking at mine right now). The examples you post, except maybe the last, don't seem to exhibit this, although the metal clips are correct. They appear to look more like the liners we used in the '80s.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Top three definetly not ww2..last one possibly..difficult to tell with the low light photograph.:) but it does look like it's cut down at the front??

Davep

One of the Regulars
They are all Nato Helmets. The last one is a French version. As we get more and more guys coming to reenactments from the airsoft ranks, we're having to deal with people using "facsimiles". Also since the liner is not seen too often people try to slip it through, using the "new guy excuse".

Which is all well and find, but WW2 reenactors base their hobby on using "correct gear of the time" as the primary reason for having a reenactments. This is over warfare and tactics.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I have 2 original WWII ABN Liners I bought years ago when they were cheap. They are pretty ratty suspension wise. I thought about refurbing them but want to leave it in its original state. Lucky for me the "A" straps are in very good condition. The first helmet appears to have a cloth OD liner chin strap.
They might be Belgian or Post-War German liners.

Edward

Bartender
The bottom one looks similar, from memory, to the liner in a Vietnam era helmet which I own. This one did actually see service over there - and has a large dent in the top from the bullet that would otherwise have brained the wearer. no access to it at the moment, though - it's still in my folks' place back in Ireland.

green papaya

One Too Many
the first three are probably 1970's 1980's Belgian or Dutch and the sewn on chin straps appear to be taken off a French M51 helmet and sewn back on these helmets

the last helmet looks like a French M51 helmet dating from around 1953 - 1970

the chin straps are sewn on the wrong side on the 2nd helmet and the last helmet, the long strap should be on the wearer's right side of the helmet and the short strap should be on the left side.

original WWII US M1 liners in usable condition are hard to find, lots of reenactors use Vietnam era liners because there cheap and easy to get, plus it doesnt show when the helmet is being worn.

http://www.pottia.net/pottia/potat/index.htm

Davep

One of the Regulars
green papaya said:
original WWII US M1 liners in usable condition are hard to find, lots of reenactors use Vietnam era liners because there cheap and easy to get, plus it doesnt show when the helmet is being worn.

http://www.pottia.net/pottia/potat/index.htm

You're spot on, on the last helmet and liner being post war french. As for reenactors, while WW2 Liners are rare, it is easier to get and start with a Korean era liners, and re-web the liner using repro parts and componets.

But as you noted some reenactors, less concern with authenticity, will skimp and use plastic liners which may or may not be web correctly, because you won't see the farbee item. They also will allow swivel bale helmets for the same reason, they are cheap and easy to get. This is usually done to get new members into reenacting, so authenticity standards are reduced temporarily

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82