Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you invite them over for dinner?

If you're doing more of a restoration, I think that the owners who had been there for many years may like to see the house being restored to it's original luster. We did it with a farm house we lived in. The man was born in the house in 1910 and we did a farm-style remodel on it, he said he loved what we were doing with the place.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think this is a fantastic idea! If the original owners/builders of our home were still alive, I would love to have them over. I'm dying to see photos of our 1958 ranch home in its heyday!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I left a message earlier this week and haven't heard back; I left my number and an introduction. [huh] Maybe they are away, not interested, or don't know what to make of it, or maybe they are too elderly to get around on their own now. But I'm glad I reached out and tried!

Talbot

One Too Many
Absolutely do it. You will learn lots of interesting things about your home, and possibly make some new friends.

Years ago, in my previous house, I heard my wife talking to people in the front yard. Turns out it was the children of a previous owner going for a walk in the old neighborhood.

They had lots of pictures ranging from when the house was built (1927) ranging through to the early 60's when they moved out.

They got a big lift out of seeing that a lot of the original garden was still there and the house was in good shape. I learned a lot of interesting facts about my old neighbourhood (started out as a sawmill) and was surprised to learn that the house was the recipient of the 1954 Australian Home Beautiful 'Barbecue of the Year' award.

Talbot

My grandpa built our Cape-Cod cottage in 58 as well. Kinda surprising there was much building going on then with it being a recession year and all.

fortworthgal said:
I think this is a fantastic idea! If the original owners/builders of our home were still alive, I would love to have them over. I'm dying to see photos of our 1958 ranch home in its heyday!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Good news!!!! I just heard from them! They can't do dinner because they are taking care of their elderly mother but they can come over during the day and love the house and want to bring pics!!!!!! I need to call them back to make a date. I'll report back after the visit. It may be a few weeks depending on schedules, etc.

Talbot

One Too Many
Brilliant! Have fun.

Talbot

P.S. If they bring shovels be on the lookout for buried loot. Gotta stop listening to Barrie Craig Confidential Investigator...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
They came over today for two hours and brought a pile of photo albums. We heard stories and saw pictures of our house being built, at Christmastime in the 50's and more. It was a wonderful time for us and them! I scanned in many of the pics of our house and have pics of today (but won't be posting.)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
How cool is that?! So, did they love what the house looks like today? Would love to see a pic of the house when it was being built but I fully understand the privacy thing. Congratulations! :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
We're renting at the moment. I don't think I'd want to meet the previous tenants. Our landlady once cried during an inspection, remembering how they had kicked in all of the walls and filled the house with garbage.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I haven't done it but I think it's sweet. Most older generations don't think inviting people over on the smallest context is as strange as many of us younger people feel. At least that's been my experience.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
It was pretty amazing- I asked the husband, while we were all sitting in the kitchen (on my new found chrome dinette set, wheeee), "do you still feel like you are at home?" He said that he did, "having lived there for over forty years." The Mrs. was busy showing the photos while he told us stories. Some of the house is exactly the same but what was changed by the lady who lived there before us they liked. They approved overall and said we did great things with it, and that they had loved living here. We also discussed how the 50's were the good old days- they agreed! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust