Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Last edited:

Chowderhouse

One of the Regulars
I agree. The true upper class old-money Northeastern WASP types I've known, and I've known many of them, are invariably pleasant, non-condescending, and in their own way even humble.

Yes. Noblesse oblige, in the best sense of the term. Unfortunately, it isn't always passed on, even if the possessions are. My mother's godmother was a baroness; she was delighted that my grandmother, her custom milliner, asked her to be godmother to my mother. The baroness took it seriously, and was always a positive, engaged presence in my mother's young life. I met her once: she made everyone feel at ease. Not so her daughter, who lacked all of the baroness's grace and consideration, and was simply a snob.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Um, Where DID the Hipster's thread go?? Boy, I don't read ONE day for lunch and see where things go.

In summary, "The first generation that's BORN rich seem to be a flaming pain in the rear."

Later Y'all

Not only hipsters drink it, Jimmy. There's no hipsters around here, but the beer is still very popular among the blue collar, myself included.

Wow. How the mighty have fallen to the hipsters. :p

It is true, and I've been guilty of it myself. It gets frustrating when you see them bring in the 'college boy' type to do a job that any of the guys on the floor could do through the sheer experience of working at the plant all these years, but they're not good enough, because they don't have a piece of paper.

I usually would have no problem with it, but it's the way they talk down to the rest of us like they're a teacher and we're a bunch of got-dang first-graders! I respect education and say more power to anybody who wishes to pursue it, but it doesn't make one person better than another.

To be fair here - there's plenty of folks who are in the trades that look down on the "educated folks" as well. They see them (sometimes rightly) as snobbish and elite. There's always some truth to both sides of the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe