Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who would buy THAT?! - The crazy hats on eBay thread

Originally posted by Canadave
Hey, it's your size, JP...go for it! :D :D :D

You can wear it with pride!

David

Why is it that the ones that fit me either look like a car ran over them or they are ridiculous like this?:eek:
Actually Dave, I think you could probably have this one enlarged to fit you. There certainly is enough brim to play with. You could flatten it out and have a nice Zorro hat. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Fedora

Vendor
That hat would elicit, "where'd you get that hat." :D All kidding aside, one thing that you big headed guys might consider, if you are looking for a vintage felt hat, is to buy one in your size that looks bad, as long as the felt is good, and have Art turn it into a real hat. You could take an ugly hat, and get it cheap, and use it. Fedora

Originally posted by Fedora
That hat would elicit, "where'd you get that hat." :D All kidding aside, one thing that you big headed guys might consider, if you are looking for a vintage felt hat, is to buy one in your size that looks bad, as long as the felt is good, and have Art turn it into a real hat. You could take an ugly hat, and get it cheap, and use it. Fedora

It certainly would illicit a where'd you get that hat but you left out the word ugly in that medley. :rolleyes:
Buying in the right size is probably a good idea. So what do you think of this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52389&item=8108444801&rd=1 . Is it too far gone? LOL

Regards to all,

J

Fedora

Vendor
LOL It might be illicit, to elicit.(unlawful to draw forth). That hat might be a good canidate, if it is large enough. Vintage hats were pounced on the inside too, so you can turn them inside out and get a nice crown if the damage does not go all the way through. Fedora

Originally posted by Fedora
LOL It might be illicit, to elicit.(unlawful to draw forth). That hat might be a good canidate, if it is large enough. Vintage hats were pounced on the inside too, so you can turn them inside out and get a nice crown if the damage does not go all the way through. Fedora

Ah Fedora you got my play on words there. That hat should be illicit in its current form. :)
That hat may be a good candidate for someone but not me. The Mr. Charles labelk truns me off right away. The name does not exactly sound like a high class haberdasher. From there I tend to think that the felt used would certainly not be a nice quality fur felt. I do not believe there is even a liner in that hat. Too much work unless I had a block for the style I wanted and needed a Frankenstein to experiment upon. ;)
It would be interesting to turn that hat inside out because the upward curving brim would then be curving dwonward and under the brim. I don't think Superfly would be jealous. LOL I did not see any damage on the hat though.
That being said, what kind of damage is fixable? I have seen a few hats on eBay and elsewhere that have what I call "bald spots" in the felt. These are indented areas where it looks like moths had a field day with the hat. Is it possible to nap up the areas or fix them in some way? I have included a picture of one I saw recently.

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Seriously, Art, do you think there is anything you could do with this hat? Block it into an Open Road in my size? (You could keep the feather, or send it to jamespowers!)

Thanks,

David

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave,
With your hat size i would quit messing around and have Art make you a hat just like you want. I believe in the long run you'll be money ahead and have a fedora you could hand down to your grandkids. He can made it new from one of his hat bodies or he can take a vintage fedora and block into your size. What do ya think?

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Dave,
With your hat size i would quit messing around and have Art make you a hat...he can take a vintage fedora and block into your size. What do ya think?

Sounds good to me. I don't want a new hat, or one made of new felt, but one blocked from an old fedora would work for me.

Can you do that Art?

David

(You could keep the feather, or send it to jamespowers!)

Thanks,

David [/B]

Gee thanks! I could put it in my Whippet....Not! Burn the feather, use the hat as a barf bag. It certainly elicits the gag response from me. LOL
I doubt Art would even want that thing in his store. It might give people the wrong idea. :D Even the moths would leave it alone.

Regards to all,

J

Dave,
With your hat size i would quit messing around and have Art make you a hat just like you want. I believe in the long run you'll be money ahead and have a fedora you could hand down to your grandkids.

That is a good idea. Your grandkids could use it as a crib. They would never forget you. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J :cool2:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HOLD IT DOWN IN HERE GUYS!!!!!
Way too much hilarity going on.)

JP..I actually think this is a ladies hat. Mr. charles has been haunting me all day and I swear it's a ladies label. That being said,
yes Dave I think I can make this into a hat for you.)

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
HOLD IT DOWN IN HERE GUYS!!!!!
Way too much hilarity going on.)

JP..I actually think this is a ladies hat. Mr. charles has been haunting me all day and I swear it's a ladies label. That being said,
yes Dave I think I can make this into a hat for you.)

Dear Art,

I think you straightened out this whole mystery. A ladies hat would explain the exagerated feather size and the other overstated features. You can understand that my first inclination was: who would make such a hilarious chapeau for a man?! Going further it makes you think that either it was some kind of joke or a person with a wierd sense of style who could use a visit from the Straight Plan for the Gay Man hosts. :D
If you decide to make a crib, err, I mean a hat out of this for David then I want before and after pictures. I understand that Ripley gives cash awards for good leads. :)
If you can make a decent hat out of that then I have to say I am sorry that I underestimated you and that is really something because I thought you could make a Royal Stetson Whippet out of a sow's ear. ;) Now a woman's hat is something else.
Lastly, I wanted to convey the thought that ran through my mind of what a woman with a size 7 1/2 head would look like but all I could think of was Janet Reno and I didn't want to go there. Suffice it to say that a woman with that large a head would be scary. I hope that thought does not haunt me all day. LOL

Regards to all,

J

STHill

One of the Regulars
JP, you're killin' me. I've gotta go through the rest of the day haunted with images of "Mr. Charles" and Janet Reno in my head. Thanks a lot!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Jamespowers Wrote!!

Lastly, I wanted to convey the thought that ran through my mind of what a woman with a size 7 1/2 head would look like but all I could think of was Janet Reno and I didn't want to go there. Suffice it to say that a woman with that large a head would be scary. I hope that thought does not haunt me all day.

Regards to all,

J

I would appreciate you not talking about my wife in this manner she reads these posts and i don't want her to get a Big Head.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by STHill
JP, you're killin' me. I've gotta go through the rest of the day haunted with images of "Mr. Charles" and Janet Reno in my head. Thanks a lot!

Sorry about that. I just couldn't help myself. :) That was the only person that came to mind at that time.
Actually I had forgotten about it last night but now I remember again and will have to go through the second day haunted with these images. ;)
Boy that hat has an aura that evokes many nauseating feelings. David, you have to buy it and change it so we will know for sure that it is still not out there on the head of some poor, unfortunate individual that needs to star in an episode of What Not to Wear. Just imagine some poor man out there will be wearing a woman's hat unless you act now. Come on man, save the sighted public from such an eyesore. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Jamespowers Wrote!!

Lastly, I wanted to convey the thought that ran through my mind of what a woman with a size 7 1/2 head would look like but all I could think of was Janet Reno and I didn't want to go there. Suffice it to say that a woman with that large a head would be scary. I hope that thought does not haunt me all day.

Regards to all,

J

I would appreciate you not talking about my wife in this manner she reads these posts and i don't want her to get a Big Head.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry about that. We wouldn't want any woman to get a head THAT big.
That reminds me of something that happened last night actually. My wife tried on one of my stingy brim hats on. She asked me: "Is this how it goes on?"
"Is it supposed to be this loose."
"You don't have it on right," I said.
I pulled it on tighter for her but I doubt it was safe for her to walk around with a hat she could not see through. :D
That is what made me think about how big 7 1/2 is. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
...yes Dave I think I can make this into a hat for you.)

I'm tempted! Just don't tell jamespowers...imagine how jealous he'll be when he sees how nicely it turns out.

(You will be able to take the "Mr. Charles" label out, right??? :eek:

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld