Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

white hats

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I picked these two hats up yesterday for $3 each.

This first one is a Mallory, I believe it is a vintage one from the 1920s-1930s. Extremely light-weight and soft with ventilation holes on the top of the crown. It also has a "UNITED HATTERS, CAP & MILLINERY W'K'RS INT. UNION" tag under the sweatband as well. I was brushing it and noticed that the crown has a blue band about 1 inch above the ribbon, presumably a sweat line. What is the best way to get rid of that?
DSCF1056.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

Here's the second one. It is a modern wool hat but is such high quality that it feels like beaver felt. As you can see in the pics, it is also has a few stains as well as pen marks on the lower edge of the brim. Again, what's the best way to get rid of these?
Open crown is 5 3/4" and the brim is 2 3/4".
DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

Thanks for the help.
Billy ;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
and if you can't live with the stains, and don't want to risk naphtha, I'll take it off your hands.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I've had good results with...

Scout Dark Hat Cleaner.
http://www.rods.com/p/5698,12_Scout-Felt-Hat-Cleaners-for-Dark-Colors.html

It's a foam, and will clean the ribbon as well as the felt. I find it at a local western supply, but FL sponsors likely also have it. I spray the upper brim and crown liberally and let it sit a few seconds until the foam begins to dissipate, then rub counterclockwise with a damp, white cloth. Then I'll do the underside. And sometimes I'll do it all a second time.

I'll then either bash as desired and let it dry, or push to open crown and let dry, then steam and shape. Don't be shy about slathering the foam on, or rubbing earnestly. Don't -- under any circumstances -- use the Scout White Hat Cleaner, which contains silicates which clog the felt.

funneman

Practically Family
Great score!

I really like the first one. I love how they've hidden the ventilation holes in the top. Both are beautiful.

Here's a suggestion. If you can't remove the blue stain, why not try using a wider ribbon to cover it up? Maybe even a dark blue one? [huh]

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh my, am I jealous!!! Damn the Mallory is fantastic. Please tell me it is really small. You have yourself an amazing hat, I mean AMAZING!! Congrats !!!!!!. Don't even bother with the stains it is perfect as is.
I guess I need to add one more hat to my wish list.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
there is nothing you can do about the stain to the Mallory. In fact it will get worse as you wear it and within weeks the entire crown area will disintegrate and turn to a highly toxic powder. This powder will make you go bald and cover your head in running sores. But don't despair! I am so concerned for your health that I will take the hat off your hands for $5.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! That Mallory is fantastic looking. I'd start with the Scouts dark hat cleaner first for sure. It should produce decent results.
I think that hat would look great with an ice cream suit. Either that or a striped seersucker suit.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Dave Keller

New in Town
If that Mallory doesn't scream "1930s small-town mayor" I don't know what does.

Definitely get a wide black band. If you're going to be vintage, go all the way!

Dave

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't worry about the stain or ribbon or anything just sell it to me or trade it for some tasty other hats:)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
nightandthecity said:
this is the point where he tells us it is size 6 1/4 and we all suddenly lose interest.....

Naw, 7 1/8, just my size...:D

Thanks for the help, I think I'll try the Scout felt cleaner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust