Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whippet real good! With photos...

So DJ, you got a new ribbon and edge binding plus a new sweatband, right? Did Art have to size it up a bit? Or was the seller's tape-measuring accurate? I'm assuming you reused the original liner. Is that right?
Looks like it's good for another 50 or 60 years. Well done, Sir.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Benny: Of course you can, I borrowed from Larry the Cable Guy.;)

TonyB: Yep, Art had to size it up a tad otherwise I think my eyes would be popping out further than they already do.lol Art did the whole 9 yards on this one, and what a fabulous bit of work is is. The sweatband is very soft and comfy indeed. It's a joy to wear.

Thanks gang for all the kind comments, it's very appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
jml90 said:
Judging by your avatar I think you;ve found the perfect hat.

Yeah, but mine is better than his.:p
Thank you!
The fun part in this whole hat collecting thing has been locating hats that are similar to ones that famous folks have worn in the past or near present. My dove grey Stetson Soverign that I recently got is the spittin' image of one that Bing Crosby wore in "Riding High". My Stetson Open Road looks very similar to the one Jeff Bridges wore in "Seabiscuit", and this one as you can tell from my avatar resembles J.D.'s. That has at least been the fun part for me.

Cheers!

Dan

jml90

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Yeah, but mine is better than his.:p
Thank you!
The fun part in this whole hat collecting thing has been locating hats that are similar to ones that famous folks have worn in the past or near present. My dove grey Stetson Soverign that I recently got is the spittin' image of one that Bing Crosby wore in "Riding High". My Stetson Open Road looks very similar to the one Jeff Bridges wore in "Seabiscuit", and this one as you can tell from my avatar resembles J.D.'s. That has at least been the fun part for me.

Cheers!

Dan
That's what I do too with a lot of my clothes. Some say "Why copy?". But, I say I'm inspired.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That is one good looking hat! :eusa_clap

This is really a great thread, Daniel. Thanks for taking us all the way through in one narrative. It is really something to see that hat come around like that! I will definately look at a lot of hats differently from now on.

Part of an old hat's appeal is that it's, well, old. That's why I'm a bit reluctant to replace liners and sweatbands and ribbons and all unless the hat would be just plain unwearable otherwise. But Art uses vintage ribbon, which is, in my book, akin to using NOS parts on a vintage car. Your Whippet, DJ, is now every bit as good as it was the day its original owner plopped it on his head, and maybe even a little better. Still, there's something about those old sweatbands, with the manufacturers' and long-defunct retailers' labels embossed thereon, that I hate to lose. But I must concur, though, with your observation about Art's sweatbands. That's some nice leather.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I would have loved to have left the old sweatband in the hat if it wasn't just crumbling to pieces and litterally falling out on it's own. It had a rather unique styling to the Stetson logo in that it was copper in color istead of gold, yet the store logo was in gold. But at least I still have it in the box for future reference.
But like I had said before, there is at least another 60 years in it again.:)

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally